Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ratechaser
I think my budget could just about run to a kebab...

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/202...-et-steakhouse
Much more style of food. Happy memories of kebabs loaded with chilli sauce
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
... and the kids eat free.
That's a relief. I would have said the deal was borderline pricey at £33k if it wasn't for that sweetener.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
33k? You could have had dinner for two at Salt Bae's restaurant for that.

Fly to istanbul and eat at his places there. About 1/5 - 1/4 US and UK prices.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
9 days at £33k = financially constrained. Hmm. While I was thinking we were all speaking English here, it's clear we don't all speak the same language.
jerry a. laska, wrp96 and golfmad like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Grog
9 days at £33k = financially constrained. Hmm. While I was thinking we were all speaking English here, it's clear we don't all speak the same language.
Indeed... that's about 2 years salary for my sister.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That is for hell of a lot of people especially down here in Devon.

I bulked at £10k for 4 people and that was with using points for hotels etc. to keep costs down.

Last edited by CT-UK; Nov 29, 2021 at 4:06 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Almost the annual salary of one of the member's housekeeper's ..
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:05 am

5 adults, 2 tweens, a toddler and infant. 33K over Christmas period, 9 nights, CW flights , seems fair to me. £6600 per adult.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
5 adults, 2 tweens, a toddler and infant. 33K over Christmas period, 9 nights, CW flights , seems fair to me. £6600 per adult.
Oh it's a fair price... it was the "financially constrained" comment that was amusing!
Grog, 1Aturnleft and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
I think 1 adult, the tweens and the 2 little ones are left behind.... they only mentioned pulling the trigger on 4 Club World seats...

Joking aside, given the destination generally commands high prices anyway and particularly so over the festive season and knowing how much things cost there, I think this still represents good value. The Fairmont is a beautiful resort.

Admittedly, it's still £33k outside of my price range but I don't have a problem with that. Everyone will have their own idea of what's cheap, what represents value for money and what's too expensive for their own individual budget and circumstances.

£33k is an annual salary headliner amount of money no matter how you look at it.... I guess that's why you don't see too many BA holiday promos advertising a family or 4 total price .... it would frighten too many window shoppers away.... break it down per person and like you say, it's actually pretty good value for what you're getting.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 29, 2021 at 4:47 am
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess if OP has mentioned this was a rough budget in post one, the replies would have been quite different !
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:32 am

Converted to a BA holiday so well protected if we can't travel due to further restrictions.
Does BA Holidays cover you for that?

I think the only scenario you are covered for, is if the FCDO advises against travel to your destination. Then BAH will allow you to take a voucher even if it's within the 3 week window prior to departure when BA Holidays bookings become very inflexible.

If your destination bans visitors from the UK, or your destination goes onto the UK red list, then you are not covered. And those are the main risks right now.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:54 am

Just googled 'tween'. Had assumed it was a typo.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
So, 9 nights in the Maldives it is. Staying that the Fairmont which looks nice enough. £33k including J flights, sea plane transfers, Christmas gala dinner and the kids eat free.
OP presumably included, within the budget of £33k, the cost of the group's stay at the Croydon Holiday Inn on Her Majesty's pleasure...in order to get back into the country...

Then the figures all make sense...and that's why he was only travelling in J at the price...!!

Room service in Croydon will be a bit of a shock after the Maldives...

Chris
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zen100
Does BA Holidays cover you for that?

I think the only scenario you are covered for, is if the FCDO advises against travel to your destination. Then BAH will allow you to take a voucher even if it's within the 3 week window prior to departure when BA Holidays bookings become very inflexible.

If your destination bans visitors from the UK, or your destination goes onto the UK red list, then you are not covered. And those are the main risks right now.
You or one of your party could also catch Covid and you'd be able to reschedule, although paying any fare difference. I imagine it'd be a refund on fare in this case !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.