Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Pretty broad brush, huh?
I agree what a stupid ill informed comment. As an American this guy ought to know California is almost twice the size of the united kingdom

Would you not go to The Lake District because there were a few robberies in Coventry???
renila, dtremit, olouie and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Mks6
Not that anyone really asked me, but I have a trip to NYC booked in a few weeks and even now I'm 50% thinking it won't go ahead.

I'd rather be pessimistic and be surprised. I think the best suggestion on this thread was where home is. Get your supermarket home delivery slot booked soon 😂
I’m going next week to NYC and getting very twitchy indeed 🤣
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:19 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Chris_G
It wasn't a joke...I'm onboard BA263 tomorrow out to Riyadh for one week to see how things have changed since I left 4 years ago.

The trip was originally scheduled for before the Covid...but the Saudi's nicely extended my tourist visa till April.

See the country now before it changes anymore and it becomes more touristy like the UAE. Other posters above agree.

I'll be enjoying a desert campout next weekend with some friends...Chris
if you are a diver SAudi offers pristine coral reefs. In fact I understand Marriott are developing some resorts on the Red Sea.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
What about PHX
Some high end hotels and top notch restaurants in Scottsdale
Perfect daytime weather, no rain, sunny blue sky
And non stop from LHR
Sorry didn't see comment about no US until after I posted. It's a great suggestion otherwise and you could just leave the hubby at home
I realize the no USA thing but..if you are able to in the future,.

Rather than PHX, I would suggest another Arizona city, namely TUS. Less famous and probably less expensive as well.

It has the same weather as PHX, namely sunny blue skies and temps in the 70's daytime and 40's at night. Warm enough to sit by the pool if that is your pleasure.

But it has things for the FTers in the crowd, such as Davis Montham AFB with the museum and boneyard that you can actually tour.

If you are into hiking, dozens of areas to do so. History?? Take a drive to Tombstone, city of the famous OK corral shoot out. And driving there, see one of the largest copper mines in the world.

Finally, if you get an itch for winter actives, try the nearby (within an hour's drive) Santa Catalinas for skiing.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Another vote for Mexico. Flights to Mexico City then domestics to one of the West Coast resorts.
Perfect weather and cheap!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Another vote for Dubai. Plus they have the Expo is high has got good feedback. You can also make a side trip to Abu Dhabi (Ferrari World and theme parks). Beaches and malls. Good food, warm, safe BA fly direct.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- Persian Gulf / Oman.

I would say that Oman rarely disappoints in this department.
We have a lovely trip booked to Oman in days and are very much looking forward to it. Hyatt has two new properties under the Alila brand that look really special. Be aware you need to have a PCR test with a QR code to enter. I mention that because in the US, the QR code is not automatic. I ended up paying for testing twice because I failed to get this on my first go round.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mks6
Not that anyone really asked me, but I have a trip to NYC booked in a few weeks and even now I'm 50% thinking it won't go ahead.
Originally Posted by c225
I’m going next week to NYC and getting very twitchy indeed 🤣
Next week I think will be fine. No cases in the UK yet, so the US won't ban UK travellers just yet.

2 weeks - much more twitchy. Plenty of time for cases in the UK to appear - it's a case of "when", not "if" this variant arrives in the UK.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Well I've pushed off my Riyadh trip for 10 days...in the hope that this variant will either gather momentum or become a media hyped non-event...

I've also a trip to Dubai planned for January as well. So lets see how that pans out as well...

Things can change so fast and there's big money at stake...but at least BA's website is functional. Imagine if this had happened last week...??

Chris
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by zen100
Next week I think will be fine. No cases in the UK yet, so the US won't ban UK travellers just yet.

2 weeks - much more twitchy. Plenty of time for cases in the UK to appear - it's a case of "when", not "if" this variant arrives in the UK.
Based upon the UKs connections with southern Africa, it's probably more a case of that it's already arrived in the UK but not yet been detected...
makin'miles, wrp96 and ezefllying like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by zen100
It's the return to the UK the following week that has me in two minds. Even the slim chance of being banged up in a Holiday Inn for an extra 10 days at the whim of the UK government sets my teeth on edge.
Chris_G likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Dubai, specifically for the World Expo (1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022).

https://www.expo2020dubai.com

It's like traveling to 191 countries all at once. (Well, not really, but it is a great experience and very good for kids, too.) And you can even visit the Oman pavilion while you're there.

This is not your grandmother's expo, either. Andrea Bocelli sang at the opening ceremony and Alicia Keys will be there on December 10th. Riverdance has done performances there, too. Entertainers from many cultures and countries. Various nations' and themed pavilions. Stunning architecture. International dining. Don't delay! Check out their website! They even have a YT feed with live programming for a few hours a day as well as recorded performances and interviews.

If I sound like I get a commission, I'm sorry that I don't. It's just that we had such a good time (and didn't even get to see everything) and we'll be going back again before it closes in March.

Last edited by Grog; Nov 26, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by edgewood49
California? No I am a American and I wouldn't go there now, too much violence smash and grab police turning their heads the other way no thank you, How about Dubai? We have always enjoyed our stays there
This is the American version of the Daily Mail screaming "ALL UK A NO-GO ZONE AS TERRORISTS RAMPANT."

For anyone genuinely curious: San Francisco is seeing far too many smash-and-grabs and generally needs to get its act together on homelessness. LA is doing a little better on homelessness (i.e. you won't like face an aggressive panhandler) but it's still a major problem in parts of the city. I will visit LA next month. The rest of the state is its usual striking and slightly ridiculous self. Santa Barbara and areas north of San Diego could be wonderful trips.

I'm sorry about ESTA. As an American, I recently complained to my senator that, as ESTA is written, most Americans would be denied entry because of the fabulously broad drug-use question, which, as I read it, would bar you from entry if you've ever touched a joint in your life. (Do not treat this as legal advice.) I would guess about a third of ESTA applicants simply lie on this question, and the other two-thirds haven't tried drugs. (After all, that is, ironically, more of an American thing.)

Were you able to visit the US, I would suggest Puerto Rico or Hawaii. Puerto Rico is much easier: Fly nonstop to the East Coast (JFK, PHL, CLT or MIA) and take a 2-4-hour connection to SJU. The weather is reliably 25-30 degrees, the beaches are great, and there are many good hotels and resorts. You could stay near San Juan or head a bit further toward the Ritz in Dorado (fabulously expensive) or take a plane to the very quiet, natural island of Vieques. No passport control from the US mainland to Puerto Rico. Most Puerto Ricans (and everyone at a tourism-oriented business) speak good English; half seem to have lived in New York.

Hawaii is very expensive, but around Christmas, so is Florida. Hawaii is very safe, has truly unique and breathtaking scenery, and is great for families. Do not spend more than a night in Waikiki — Kauai and Maui have big, family-oriented resorts, while the Big Island (officially, the Island of Hawaii) has a more rugged feel. And the north shore of Oahu, perhaps an hour from Honolulu in traffic, is undeservedly overlooked.

I realize Hawaii is hard to get to from Europe. Your best bet is to fly to San Francisco or LA, spend a night in either city (yes, you can do so safely), and then take the five-hour connection, possibly on a lie-flat widebody, to HNL (or LIH, OGG, or KOA).

Regarding Florida: The weather is iffy in December. I was in Miami Beach, right on the water, twice last month, and at least twice, it was very windy. I'm sure it was less windy across the bay. Miami can also dip below 15 degrees in late December, though it's more commonly between 15 and 25. In other words, you may get good beach days, but it's not guaranteed. And the weather is substantially cooler as you go north, because the Gulf Stream only nicks Florida around Palm Beach. This, while Miami can be 25, Orlando — roughly 300 km north — can easily be 10 degrees colder.
Arsey00 likes this.

Last edited by ezefllying; Nov 26, 2021 at 4:57 pm
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Grog
Dubai, specifically for the World Expo (1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022).

https://www.expo2020dubai.com

It's like traveling to 191 countries all at once. (Well, not really, but it is a great experience and very good for kids, too.) And you can even visit the Oman pavilion while you're there.

This is not your grandmother's expo, either. Andrea Bocelli sang at the opening ceremony and Alicia Keys will be there on December 10th. Riverdance has done performances there, too. Entertainers from many cultures and countries. Various nations' and themed pavilions. Stunning architecture. International dining. Don't delay! Check out their website! They even have a YT feed with live programming for a few hours a day as well as recorded performances and interviews.

If I sound like I get a commission, I'm sorry that I don't. It's just that we had such a good time (and didn't even get to see everything) and we'll be going back again before it closes in March.
+1 the Expo is really worth a visit and makes DXB even more worthwhile.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I agree what a stupid ill informed comment. As an American this guy ought to know California is almost twice the size of the united kingdom

Would you not go to The Lake District because there were a few robberies in Coventry???

wake up and smell the coffee a proliferation of "smash and grabs" streets parks roadways full of homeless from SD to Portland to Seattle. If the state is so great why is there a outward flow of people? We lived in HalfMoon Bay, Belmont, El Dorado Hills and SD Ill informed no sir/madam. If one stays at a resort and does not "take in the local flavor" you're fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.