Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Uruguay is great. IB via MAD historically.

Possibly in conjunction with Argentina (quick boat ride from Buenos Aires to Montevideo)
Jet Ranger likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
The OP asked for somewhere hot. In my experience the Middle East is not hot in December. With the US not possible for the OP and the Caribbean likely to be extremely expensive I would be staying home.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Beergander
I'm hoping Dubai as an international hub acts quickly to stop that being rolled into RED list again and scuppering almost every destination....
It has... EK flights suspended from 29/11.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Don't forget California, although it certainly won't be cheap over Christmas! I love Oman at this time of year and have spent New Year's there before but it's a bit of a pain to get there at the moment with no BA direct flights and Oman Air only flying a few times a week. I think connecting with a large family for what should be a 7 hour direct flight is not going to be the most fun. My advice would also be to be cautious on the Middle East generally given it would be the logical next domino to fall if travel restrictions spread given Dubai and Doha are probably the two busiest flight lanes from Southern Africa.( I say this as someone that has two trips to DXB booked in December currently and is getting slightly nervous about this.)

If you are going to connect anyway I would be tempted to make it worthwhile and go to Thailand or similar.

California? No I am a American and I wouldn't go there now, too much violence smash and grab police turning their heads the other way no thank you, How about Dubai? We have always enjoyed our stays there
worldiswide and tpsmith82 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:21 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sorry to hear that. Not being flippant but I'd just stay wherever home is and enjoy Christmas. I'm sure the kids will love it.
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I immediately adjusted to Buenos Aires for my christmas trip.
South America looks relatively safe and (with the sad exception of Chile) quite easy. The Carribean coast of Colombia springs to mind.

This said, I would be very careful in my risk asessment traveling with 4 minors and simply stay at home. The situation will be spring 2020 in not too long. You really need to be able to bear and afford it.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: MUCCI
Personally I would not book right now - the few places left will be full already with prices to match and if this is as bad as feared you can expect wide restrictions on travel again sadly.......
FD.
stevie likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:30 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fritz
Uruguay is great. IB via MAD historically.

Possibly in conjunction with Argentina (quick boat ride from Buenos Aires to Montevideo)
Agree with that - and we are big fans of Punta del Este too. Had an awesome time there in early January 2020. New Year in Rio was also a LOT of fun.
jamiel likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:02 am

What about PHX
Some high end hotels and top notch restaurants in Scottsdale
Perfect daytime weather, no rain, sunny blue sky
And non stop from LHR
SanDiego1K and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
This is getting more serious...the EU wanting to cancel flights from destinations with just a single case of this new variant...

Travel to KSA tomorrow...?? Get trapped out in Riyadh and/or end up spending time in a quarantine hotel as the price of returning to UK...??

I'll give it a few more hours but its a considerable worry now...Chris
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
What about PHX
Some high end hotels and top notch restaurants in Scottsdale
Perfect daytime weather, no rain, sunny blue sky
And non stop from LHR
Sorry didn't see comment about no US until after I posted. It's a great suggestion otherwise and you could just leave the hubby at home
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Chris_G
This is getting more serious...the EU wanting to cancel flights from destinations with just a single case of this new variant...

Travel to KSA tomorrow...?? Get trapped out in Riyadh and/or end up spending time in a quarantine hotel as the price of returning to UK...??

I'll give it a few more hours but its a considerable worry now...Chris
Yeah - I'm getting a bit twitchy about my trip to Dubai in a couple of weeks...
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:17 am

Not that anyone really asked me, but I have a trip to NYC booked in a few weeks and even now I'm 50% thinking it won't go ahead.

I'd rather be pessimistic and be surprised. I think the best suggestion on this thread was where home is. Get your supermarket home delivery slot booked soon 😂
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by edgewood49
California? No I am a American and I wouldn't go there now, too much violence smash and grab police turning their heads the other way no thank you, How about Dubai? We have always enjoyed our stays there
What an unusual grasp of the situation in CA. People are being arrested and facing charges, and m any other places have far higher crime anyway.

I wouldn't be afraid at all of travelling to CA if you can find the tix, but unfortunately I don't think there'll be much availability this late in the day.
renila, dtremit, olouie and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yeah - I'm getting a bit twitchy about my trip to Dubai in a couple of weeks...
Indeed. EK website apparently now says from Monday they won't be accepting arrivals or transit passengers from the 7 Southern African countries for reference which hopefully helps a little (but could still be too late).
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Pretty broad brush, huh?
renila, dtremit, olouie and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.