Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

13Nov pm - 17Nov am : BAEC account maintenance - cannot login or spend Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BUGS
1. Promotion to Gold Guest List (Markie)
2. More Gold Upgrades for 2 than there should be (Markie)
3. Flight details have same date for posting as for flight (Markie)
4. American Airline reward flights do not show and cannot be booked online(not sure if they can be booked by phone)
5. Combining avios points with IB is not possible. (alexphj)
6. TP collection year end on landing page shows card expiry date (i.e. end of following month). Correct under 'My Account' sub-menu. (NWIFlyer)
7. No household account although underlying data appears to still be there (many)
8. language set to english (german not available) (Nephoi)
9. AA Business R class domestic flight shows as Economy(R), but properly credits Avios+TP (El_Duderito)
10. Booking reference doesn’t display for partner flights eve though the tag is there (MaxFlyer)
11. Adding/editing contact phone number (for pax and/or additional contact) to 'Australia (+61)' once saved becomes 'Christmas Island (+61)'. (paulieuk)
12. Unable to logon using username - have to use BAEC number instead. (bakera)

'FEATURES'
1. Bronze/Silver/Gold members have some text formatted in Bronze/Silver/Gold text as applicable. Consensus seems to be that it's pretty, but hard to see…

ENHANCEMENTS
1. Additional detail of flights on Front Page (Markie)
2. Scroll back of transactions goes to October 2018 (Markie)
3. Household account redemptions appear differently, with pro-rate Avios transferred from other members into the head of HHA/redeeming member's account, then the total deducted. (sunshinebob) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33741742-post407.html
Print Wikipost

13Nov pm - 17Nov am : BAEC account maintenance - cannot login or spend Avios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Using Ba.com on my desktop when trying to log in says, to do so using the mobile app

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
One thing that has improved for me is that when logged in & moving from booking to booking it actually opens up the new booking straight away rather than prompting me to enter the new PNR and my surname everytime.
That’s quite a low baseline to use for an improvement though :-)
Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Using Ba.com on my desktop when trying to log in says, to do so using the mobile app
I have logged into the app just fine and everything is displaying correctly - balances, status and upcoming flights.

Of course, if you try to do a reward flight booking, it jumps you out to the website, which you can't log in to. I have always wondered why so many things jump you out of the app, when they should be able to be done in the app... seat selection is another one. It's so crappy compared to the KLM app, which runs really well.
adrianlondon and SxMan like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Looks like you no longer have to live with your fellow HHA members

Effective from 12 November 2021

What’s changed?

Household Accounts
  • Changes were made so that it is no longer required for all members of a Household Account to reside in the same address; and as such, each individual member in a Household Account can submit a change of address in relation to their own personal records.
  • We have also increased flexibility when managing the Household Account.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I have always wondered why so many things jump you out of the app, when they should be able to be done in the app... seat selection is another one. It's so crappy compared to the KLM app, which runs really well.
This is all about simplifying the data flows.

I have just looked at a return flight booking. Any booking. The request sent 153 httop requests and 1.3MB of data.

What should be sent to the server is a JSON of the dates, class, origin and destination, number of passengers. Instead there seems to be 1.3 megabytes of data transferred just to then be shown the available flights.

The available flights should be another basic JSON dataset that comes back. Instead there are 153 http calls. Madness.

They have got themselves into a right old mess with all this and really need to get back to basics.

If they simplified all that and just transferred pertinent information with client side rendering (or even server side rendering) this would be so much simpler and the data could then be transferred to any appropriate client to consume (be that a web page or a native app).

The reason they are jumping you to the web page within the app is that the data is too complicated for the app. Nobody wants to rewrite the app to be able to consume such complex data.

I am only guessing here but web developers seem to forget that forms are a way of inputting data and getting results back, not collecting vast amounts of useless data.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Anyone have success with iOS? I still get an incorrect username/password error.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by i_concur
This is all about simplifying the data flows.

I have just looked at a return flight booking. Any booking. The request sent 153 httop requests and 1.3MB of data.

What should be sent to the server is a JSON of the dates, class, origin and destination, number of passengers. Instead there seems to be 1.3 megabytes of data transferred just to then be shown the available flights.

The available flights should be another basic JSON dataset that comes back. Instead there are 153 http calls. Madness.

They have got themselves into a right old mess with all this and really need to get back to basics.

If they simplified all that and just transferred pertinent information with client side rendering (or even server side rendering) this would be so much simpler and the data could then be transferred to any appropriate client to consume (be that a web page or a native app).

The reason they are jumping you to the web page within the app is that the data is too complicated for the app. Nobody wants to rewrite the app to be able to consume such complex data.

I am only guessing here but web developers seem to forget that forms are a way of inputting data and getting results back, not collecting vast amounts of useless data.
I honestly hope they don’t attempt to correct those things so they work properly the way you said. Given it’s taken them a week to simply re-type a few million records into a shiny new database (plus colour a bit of text Gold, or some horrible copper colour like they did to some other poster on here), then we’re looking at like 100 years of downtime to the proper stuff. Minimum.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Splotly
I honestly hope they don’t attempt to correct those things so they work properly the way you said. Given it’s taken them a week to simply re-type a few million records into a shiny new database (plus colour a bit of text Gold, or some horrible copper colour like they did to some other poster on here), then we’re looking at like 100 years of downtime to the proper stuff. Minimum.
seems like we're in a situation where starting all over again would be the better solution. and stop those disimprovements.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
seems like we're in a situation where starting all over again would be the better solution. and stop those disimprovements.
Yes. Facebook did that with their Messenger app a while ago. It was something like 250mb for a message app on an iPhone. They re-coded the entire thing and brought it back to 60mb or something. Still crazy for messaging (I remember when an entire game was 40mb and that was considered massive) but it is what it is.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Yes. Facebook did that with their Messenger app a while ago. It was something like 250mb for a message app on an iPhone. They re-coded the entire thing and brought it back to 60mb or something. Still crazy for messaging (I remember when an entire game was 40mb and that was considered massive) but it is what it is.
40 MB for a game! Luxury! I coded space invaders in Z80 assembly language in 4 kbytes when I were just a lad (this is a true story)
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
It’s not mission critical like the TSB example cited above, but that makes it even more unforgivable - this should have been a relatively straightforward project.

and let’s not forget that they took a load of functionality offline 2 weeks ago, with Friends & Family lists, partner cards etc.

but thanks to tips above I have managed to book some rewards in the last 24 hours, thanks!
efincomputer likes this.

Originally Posted by firstlight
40 MB for a game! Luxury! I coded space invaders in Z80 assembly language in 4 kbytes when I were just a lad (this is a true story)
Hey, I'm not surprised at all. I started out on a TRS-80 for a short time, then moved to a C64 - the games packed a lot into what they had and are still very playable today. A lot can be done with a lot less than is being used today.

I'm guessing part of the problem is the 'translation' layer between legacy backend systems and customer facing systems. But I am assuming the APIs for things like seat availability are relatively well streamlined between the API and the back end because they are widely used by other providers of the information with apparent ease. So why does the BA website require such huge data volumes for such a simple process. That leads me straight back to the conclusion of poor oversight and design. Too much high level thinking, not enough kicking the tyres. And our friend above from the big 4 probably sees a lto fo that kind of behaviour. I know I do in Healthcare.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by i_concur
I'm guessing part of the problem is the 'translation' layer between legacy backend systems and customer facing systems. But I am assuming the APIs for things like seat availability are relatively well streamlined between the API and the back end because they are widely used by other providers of the information with apparent ease. So why does the BA website require such huge data volumes for such a simple process. That leads me straight back to the conclusion of poor oversight and design. Too much high level thinking, not enough kicking the tyres. And our friend above from the big 4 probably sees a lto fo that kind of behaviour. I know I do in Healthcare.
with poor technology comes shortcuts, and once one team takes a shortcut and someone else needs to consume the data life becomes painful. Too many silos, lack of strategy and poor management - the unholy trinity
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Beyond a joke

The situation is now way beyond any real apology.
BA really needs to grovel now - its most treasured customers are being seriously inconvenienced.
efincomputer and Nephoi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.