Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Brushing my hair has improved my chances at the Egates. I suspect this is pure chance but I always brush my hair before approaching the Egates.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I am due into T2 as BA cancelled my flight from SOF and I managed to reroute onto LH. Are these e-gates any better? My passport is one of the ones which works in egates all over the world but has never once worked at T5... arriving 23rd late afternoon...
Same ones I'm afraid, just fewer of them.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Brushing my hair has improved my chances at the Egates. I suspect this is pure chance but I always brush my hair before approaching the Egates.
I came through T2 this morning - first time I have ever used T2. I am one of those that have not been able to use the T5 eGates since 2020. I always get "Seek Assistance" and I was advised I would never be able to use them due to there being someone with a similar name as me that the Border Force is looking for.

I can confirm that the T2 eGates didn't work for me this morning. However, I did get to meet a very pleasant guy manning the "Seek Assistance" queue, who processed me very quickly.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Just a datapoint - May be useful to some or not - But I had failures for about 10 times, having read someone suggesting I should push in firmly and down hard on my passport when using E-gates.

Instead, the last three times I've done the opposite, resting my passport relatively gently and not necessarily pushing it all the way in and been admitted all three times. Once, I did have to insert it slightly further, but it worked the second time.

Worth considering perhaps!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by GabrielExea
Just a datapoint - May be useful to some or not - But I had failures for about 10 times, having read someone suggesting I should push in firmly and down hard on my passport when using E-gates.

Instead, the last three times I've done the opposite, resting my passport relatively gently and not necessarily pushing it all the way in and been admitted all three times. Once, I did have to insert it slightly further, but it worked the second time.

Worth considering perhaps!
I've similarly improved my success rate (at both EDI and T5) by not pressing down as firmly - think I read that one here!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Is the “seek assistance” line at T5 the same as the general line or is it separate (and hopefully shorter than the border main line)?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Separate, if you're looking straight on at the gates it's on your far right in the main bank of border force desks.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S
He also took my picture, no idea if this was to add to my profile and perhaps try and clear down that it's not me that they want. I guess I'll find out next time I fly.
I also had this last week, they took my picture and saved it somewhere. It was only afterwards that I wondered whether they should have asked permission first (for reference, I have only a British passport). I think I was taken aback by the fact the guy was actually nice to me… it’s been a loooooong time since that happened.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
I also had this last week, they took my picture and saved it somewhere. It was only afterwards that I wondered whether they should have asked permission first (for reference, I have only a British passport). I think I was taken aback by the fact the guy was actually nice to me… it’s been a loooooong time since that happened.
Exactly the same here, it was gone midnight at Gatwick and he was the nicest border force officer I've ever come across.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:44 pm

Rejected at UK egate again

I flew into Gatwick last night and once again was rejected at the egate. I've pasted below a thread I replied to on Trip Advisor:

I have exactly the same problem with mine. For the last 2 years in the UK I've not been able to use the egates in the UK. When I asked at immigration last time what the issue was she said "I'm not at liberty to say". I asked her if my passport was faulty (as the embosser cover has worn off) but she said the chip still works, so I asked her again what the issue is and she said the same thing.....I'm not at liberty to say 😡. I'm pretty sure I'm not moonlighting as a terrorist but it's how I'm made to feel every time. To make matters worse, I'm disabled (although not in wheelchair) but had extensive surgery to both hips all my life and its physically painful having to queue all this extra time as of course you don't have the option to skip the egate, no matter how many times you tell them it won't work. Surely there must be some way to sort this issue out.???? I travel a lot and shouldn't have to be in pain due to their incompetence 😡.

And just to add, I don't think this is related to photo recognition as it doesn't even start the process. I immediately get the "seek assistance" message.
Some people have mentioned issues with some 2016 passports and mine was issued then.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:11 am

I suggest booking wheelchair assistance if landing at Gatwick or Heathrow. It's not a great service and will probably take longer then on foot but it will save you using the egates and the standing and queueing that you can't manage.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Karenlynn
I flew into Gatwick last night and once again was rejected at the egate. I've pasted below a thread I replied to on Trip Advisor:

I have exactly the same problem with mine. For the last 2 years in the UK I've not been able to use the egates in the UK. When I asked at immigration last time what the issue was she said "I'm not at liberty to say". I asked her if my passport was faulty (as the embosser cover has worn off) but she said the chip still works, so I asked her again what the issue is and she said the same thing.....I'm not at liberty to say 😡. I'm pretty sure I'm not moonlighting as a terrorist but it's how I'm made to feel every time. To make matters worse, I'm disabled (although not in wheelchair) but had extensive surgery to both hips all my life and its physically painful having to queue all this extra time as of course you don't have the option to skip the egate, no matter how many times you tell them it won't work. Surely there must be some way to sort this issue out.???? I travel a lot and shouldn't have to be in pain due to their incompetence 😡.

And just to add, I don't think this is related to photo recognition as it doesn't even start the process. I immediately get the "seek assistance" message.
Some people have mentioned issues with some 2016 passports and mine was issued then.
Hi

The best solution is to use the Med Desk, where you shouldn’t have to queue for too long. I’m sure you know that you can get assistance if you need it in getting from one place to another. Certainly at T5 at LHR they have chairs there to allow people to rest if they have to wait for any length of time. I would hope Gatwick is the same, though I rarely use it so can’t say for certain.

Alternatively you don’t have to use an eGate. You can go straight to a desk if you wish. It’s a fallacy that you have to use the eGate every time. Explains it here.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-th...sport-control/
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I've been advised (after being told by a UKB official and having also raised the issue with my MP) that particularly common surnames such as mine will suffer with not being able to use the egates. No discount on a passport application either even though I can't use service.
I've got a very unusual surname and mine never works at T5 e gates and at Gatwick. I am so careful about how I slide it in and holding it down and until this passport in 2017, I was one of these people who swore it was about technique.

When I could still use the e gates it worked at Madrid and Schiphol as well as in Abu Dhabi and Singapore.

Came through T3 a few days ago and it worked first time.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:10 am

As someone who doesn't actually need to use a wheelchair, its not something I would choose to do. I once landed from Bali needing a wheelchair after breaking my foot and it took them half an hour off the plane and even longer to get me through the airport, I think I was about 90 mins longer than if I had walked off. Also..... I've spent my entire life trying not to stand out. Eventually I will need to use a wheelchair, so its nice to be able to walk whilst I still can. I just find it incredible to believe that if anyone on a watchlist has the same name as me (I have a very popular first and surname) that our passports numbers which are specific to us as individuals cannot be seperated from these people. Its just an utterly useless system in the UK. Thank you for you input though, I do appreciate any suggestions...
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Saladman
Hi

Alternatively you don’t have to use an eGate. You can go straight to a desk if you wish. It’s a fallacy that you have to use the eGate every time. Explains it here.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-th...sport-control/
When I've tried, they make me try 3 times before letting me go to the desk at both T5 and Gatwick though they may be more sympathetic to someone with mobility issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.