Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Timatic says this:

Passengers must have:
- a negative COVID-19 NAAT or antigen test taken at most 48 hours before arrival. The test result must be in English, French, German, Spanish or accompanied by a certified Spanish translation; or
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech, Serum Institute of India, Sinopharm or Sinovac at least 14 days before arrival; or
- a COVID-19 recovery certificate issued at least 11 days after the positive COVID-19 NAAT test result. The sample for the certificate must have been taken at most 180 days before arrival.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:06 am

I've booked myself and my partner an Antigen test at LCY from Collinson to take before our flight to IBZ next week. Does anyone know if they will produce the certificate in Spanish as well? Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Joshm300
I've booked myself and my partner an Antigen test at LCY from Collinson to take before our flight to IBZ next week. Does anyone know if they will produce the certificate in Spanish as well? Thanks
I doubt it but English is an acceptable language for covid certificates when landing into Spain.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
What type of antigen test? I am thinking of booking LAMP as this is specifically called out as ok, but also on-site/rapid unlike PCR but would love to book LFT if accepted.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:42 am

Lateral flow, which Collinson advertised as an Antigen test, so I'm hoping it's okay.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:29 am

Looking at my Qured fit to fly home lateral flow test cert, it is described as an "Antigen Rapid Test". The question is, presumably, whether the "Rapid" makes a difference.

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Jun 30, 2021 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:33 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Lateral flow, which Collinson advertised as an Antigen test, so I'm hoping it's okay.
Jet2 have updated its information that rapid antigen tests aren’t acceptable for Ibiza..
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Indeed, but my question was whether this has anywhere been confirmed by Spain ?
https://www.spth.gob.es/info-pcr

In the case of certificates or supporting documents (vaccination, diagnostic test, recovery), which are not EU Digital COVID Certificates, they must be the original, in Spanish, English, French or German and may be submitted in paper or electronic format. Any of these documents shall contain, at least, the following data: name and surname of the traveller and:
-In the case of documentary evidence of vaccination: date of vaccination with full schedule, at least 14 days prior to arrival in Spain, with vaccines authorised by the European Medicines Agency or by the World Health Organisation, and country where vaccinated.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...19/covid-pass/ - now offer a digital download of your vaccine status.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
Jet2 have updated its information that rapid antigen tests aren’t acceptable for Ibiza..
Odd as the Spanish Health Ministry website specifically states that Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) are acceptable and also list exhaustively the brands allowed.

What COVID-19 diagnostic tests are accepted for entry into Spain?

2 types of tests are allowed, with negative result:
  • Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), which detect the genetic material of the virus (RT-PCR, TMA and RT-LAMP).
  • Rapid antigen detection tests (RATs), which detect the presence of virus antigens. The tests accepted are those authorised by the European Commission, which can be consulted at the following link.

These tests must have been carried out (taking of the sample) 48 hours before arrival in Spain.

https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=2
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
Odd as the Spanish Health Ministry website specifically states that Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) are acceptable and also list exhaustively the brands allowed.

What COVID-19 diagnostic tests are accepted for entry into Spain?

2 types of tests are allowed, with negative result:
  • Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), which detect the genetic material of the virus (RT-PCR, TMA and RT-LAMP).
  • Rapid antigen detection tests (RATs), which detect the presence of virus antigens. The tests accepted are those authorised by the European Commission, which can be consulted at the following link.

These tests must have been carried out (taking of the sample) 48 hours before arrival in Spain.

https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=2
I wonder if the problem is that the EU have only, if I have understood correctly, approved a specific list of rapid tests. The one used e.g. by Qured - Hughes - is not on the list as far as I can see. Perhaps, like with so much else, we are out of step with the EU on the tests we are approving for use. I am looking at this on my phone, so not 100% sure I have got this completely right but its a possible explanation of why Jet2 may be being cautious.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Timatic says this:

Passengers must have:
- a negative COVID-19 NAAT or antigen test taken at most 48 hours before arrival. The test result must be in English, French, German, Spanish or accompanied by a certified Spanish translation; or
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech, Serum Institute of India, Sinopharm or Sinovac at least 14 days before arrival; or
- a COVID-19 recovery certificate issued at least 11 days after the positive COVID-19 NAAT test result. The sample for the certificate must have been taken at most 180 days before arrival.
In the current environment Timatic is often not up to date with the fast moving changing requirements. Someone still has to physically update it. So don't take it as gospel....
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
If you are an UK citizen and UK resident travelling to Spain and if you have not been vaccinated, you can only enter Spain with a negative NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA).

I'll try an explain you why.

ELIGIBILITY TO ENTER SPAIN

Currently, all non-essential travel from risk countries to Spain is banned. You can be exempt from the non-essential travel ban if you meet certain criteria.

As you know, until 00:00 2nd July, UK will remain a "safe COVID country", but from that date and time, the UK will be removed and added to the "COVID risk" list. As the UK is not part of the EU neither the common market, there's no free movement of citizens.

However, since the 7th of June, all vaccinated citizens (on a global scale) (EMA and WHO approved vaccines) are exempt from the non-essential travel ban, including UK citizens. If you received your second dose more than 14 days prior to arrival, you are all good and don't need to worry.

Now, what the Spanish Government did allow unvaccinated UK residents is the following. They added this "new category" to the non-essential travel ban exempt list:

""En el caso de las personas residentes en el Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña e Irlanda del Norte que procedan directamente de él, además del certificado de vacunación, serán considerados válidos también los certificados de diagnóstico reconocidos para este fin por el Ministerio de Sanidad en el apartado séptimo 1 de la Resolución de 4 de junio de 2021, de la Dirección General de Salud Pública, relativa a los controles sanitarios a realizar en los puntos de entrada de España.""

and translated:

For arriving United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland residents, in addition to COVID-19 vaccination certificates, [negative] diagnostic certificates recognised by the Ministry of Health in section Seventh 1 of the June 4th resolution, 2021, will also be accepted in health controls carried out at the points of entry in Spain.

You can find this in the BOE published yesterday (https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.ph...E-A-2021-10746)

So, which tests are included in the section Seventh 1 of the June 4th resolution, 2021?

""Séptimo. Certificado de Diagnóstico.
Se aceptarán como válidos los certificados de prueba diagnóstica de infección activa de COVID-19 con resultado negativo expedidos en las cuarenta y ocho horas anteriores a la llegada a España.
Las pruebas diagnósticas de infección para SARS-CoV-2 admitidas serán las siguientes:
1. Las pruebas de amplificación de ácido nucleico molecular (NAAT), utilizadas para detectar la presencia del ácido ribonucleico (ARN) del SARS-CoV-2;
2. Los test de detección de antígeno incluidos en la lista común de test rápidos de detección de antígeno para COVID-19, publicada por la Comisión Europea en base la Recomendación del Consejo 2021/C 24/01.
""

and translated:

Seventh. Diagnostic certificates.
Diagnostic certificates of active COVID-19 infection with a negative result issued within the 48h prior to arrival in Spain will be accepted.

The following tests will be accepted:

1. Molecular nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), used to detect the presence of SARS-CoV-2 ribonucleic acid (RNA) [i.e. PCR, LAMP, TMA tests].
2. Rapid antigen tests.

You can find this in the BOE published on the 5th of June (https://boe.es/boe/dias/2021/06/05/p...-2021-9352.pdf)

Therefore, if you are travelling from the UK, and you have not been vaccinated, you will be eligible to enter Spain ONLY with a NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA tests).

HEALTH AND DOCUMENT CHECK

Once you are eligible to enter Spain, on arrival your body temperature will be measured and your documents will be checked.
-SpHealth questionnaire (everyone must fill this).
-Document check:
  • Vaccination
  • Negative COVID-19 diagnostic test
  • Proof of recovery
In this particular case, and for UK residents, because you are only eligible to enter Spain if you have been vaccinated or negative NAAT test (PCR, LAMP, TMA), you will automatically fulfil the document check (however, it could be, that you meet other criteria from the non-essential travel ban exempt list, e.g. Spanish citizens, and in that case, a non-vaccinated Spanish citizen travelling from the UK to Spain could enter Spain only with a rapid antigen test/proof of recovery).

Based on current legislation, the information currently displayed in the FCO Travel advice regarding Spanish entry requirements is wrong, as non-vaccinated UK residents won't be eligible to enter Spain with a rapid/antigen test (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ts#vaccination).

-EDIT: the travel advice information has been corrected, now stating the correct information.
ENTP likes this.

Last edited by tobsw; Jun 30, 2021 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Exec
The text you have copied also says a 'Rapid Antigen Test' is possible under point (2) (and highlighted below). The questions, as I see them are:
1) Are the Rapid Antigen Tests available in the UK (e.g. from Qured) on the list of EU recognised tests? This is not obvious.
2) Even if they are, will airlines such as BA allow the Rapid Antigen Test for boarding, or will they insist on a NAAT test?

Originally Posted by tobsw

""Séptimo. Certificado de Diagnóstico.
Se aceptarán como válidos los certificados de prueba diagnóstica de infección activa de COVID-19 con resultado negativo expedidos en las cuarenta y ocho horas anteriores a la llegada a España.
Las pruebas diagnósticas de infección para SARS-CoV-2 admitidas serán las siguientes:
1. Las pruebas de amplificación de ácido nucleico molecular (NAAT), utilizadas para detectar la presencia del ácido ribonucleico (ARN) del SARS-CoV-2;
2. Los test de detección de antígeno incluidos en la lista común de test rápidos de detección de antígeno para COVID-19, publicada por la Comisión Europea en base la Recomendación del Consejo 2021/C 24/01.
""

and translated:

Seventh. Diagnostic certificates.
Diagnostic certificates of active COVID-19 infection with a negative result issued within the 48h prior to arrival in Spain will be accepted.

The following tests will be accepted:

1. Molecular nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), used to detect the presence of SARS-CoV-2 ribonucleic acid (RNA) [i.e. PCR, LAMP, TMA tests].
2. Rapid antigen tests.

You can find this in the BOE published on the 5th of June (https://boe.es/boe/dias/2021/06/05/p...-2021-9352.pdf)

Therefore, if you are travelling from the UK, and you have not been vaccinated, you will be eligible to enter Spain ONLY with a NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA tests).

HEALTH AND DOCUMENT CHECK

Once you are eligible to enter Spain, on arrival your body temperature will be measured and your documents will be checked.
-SpHealth questionnaire (everyone must fill this).
-Document check:
  • Vaccination
  • Negative COVID-19 diagnostic test
  • Proof of recovery
In this particular case, and for UK residents, because you are only eligible to enter Spain if you have been vaccinated or negative NAAT test (PCR, LAMP, TMA), you will automatically fulfil the document check (however, it could be, that you meet other criteria from the non-essential travel ban exempt list, e.g. Spanish citizens, and in that case, a non-vaccinated Spanish citizen travelling from the UK to Spain could enter Spain only with a rapid antigen test/proof of recovery).

Based on current legislation, the information currently displayed in the FCO Travel advice regarding Spanish entry requirements is wrong, as non-vaccinated UK residents won't be eligible to enter Spain with a rapid/antigen test (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ts#vaccination).
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I doubt it but English is an acceptable language for covid certificates when landing into Spain.
Thanks, I didn't read the orignal post properly
sunshinebob likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by nick50000
The text you have copied also says a 'Rapid Antigen Test' is possible under point (2) (and highlighted below). The questions, as I see them are:
1) Are the Rapid Antigen Tests available in the UK (e.g. from Qured) on the list of EU recognised tests? This is not obvious.
2) Even if they are, will airlines such as BA allow the Rapid Antigen Test for boarding, or will they insist on a NAAT test?
But point 2 is not included in the eligibility for UK residents to enter Spain as non-essential travel, only paragraph Seventh section 1, which only include NAAT tests (unless you have been vaccinated).
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.