Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Login with

membership number: Nope
e-mail: No chance
username: Welcome back

I have not used my "username" for at least a decade, and currently it provides the only accepted entry.
there is something odd about the BA IT system. I am certain it is outsourced to developers who live in East London and fly via Stanstead.
hence they never actually use the systems or apps.
I have reset my password and, like you, cannot login via email or membership number.
I haven’t used my username for years and don’t remember what it is.
There is no way the person who provided this ‘solution’ is a user (of BA’s services).
and if they are - they need to seek professional help!!!!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:04 pm

So I can not log into my account nor can I reset the password and this is all because some website which stores my BA number and seat preference has been hacked? I suppose BA have learnt some lessons from the previous fines but goodness me this is completely over the top.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Btw: why does BA include information like status, tier points and Avios in your account in the notification email? Try resetting your password and check the header of that mail. Why does it tell you your status, tier points and Avios in the account?
Just about every email from BA include points and status. The odd thing about the email is it isn't addressed to me personally but rather with generic 'dear customer'.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by omaygat
Just about every email from BA include points and status. The odd thing about the email is it isn't addressed to me personally but rather with generic 'dear customer'.
That doesn't make it any better. As a third party I can see if it's worth breaking into somebody's BA account because when I just request the reset I can see status and Avios information. They are including information in those emails (esp the reset mail) that does not have to be included.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
They market a Passenger Management System called Horizon which appears to be the software that was compromised.
I seem to remember hearing about Horizon being mentioned before here on FT. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by tedmak
I haven’t used my username for years and don’t remember what it is.
Isn't it the email address you received the email on?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Weirdly enough, having read through this thread, I logged straight into my BA account using current username and password. No lockout, no forced password change, no 2FA... In fact, sweet FA

Edit
For clarity, I first logged on via the App, then subsequently the website. No messages, no action required, nothing...

Last edited by OverTheHorizon; Mar 6, 2021 at 12:39 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Fixed!

Last night I received this email for multiple accounts in the hha.

For each account I received the email, I couldn't access.
I could successfully change the password (logging on using baec account number) but then still couldn't access the account.
As per this thread I tried accessing using email without success, and I don't know my username.

Left it overnight
Tried this morning with my new password and it's working!

I also noticed that I didn't receive emails for every account in my hha. For those without emails, I could access without changing my password.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:45 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Yes, that seems to be the Saturday morning situation. Yesterday evening my partner and I both got emails. The BA app showed a message and then logged me out.

I made a note to reset passwords this morning, but ba.com let me log in as usual and the app allowed me to log in again too, both using my old username and password.

Let's see what tomorrow brings... If there has been a breach then at some point new passwords will be needed.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Another data point -
  1. Saw the thread last night, tried logging in using BAEC number and existing (unique) password - No Success.
  2. Received email from BA advising of SITA breach and recommending password change
  3. Slept on it and figured I'd address the problem over the weekend
  4. Tried logging in this morning using BAEC Number and existing (unique) password - Success
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:29 am

no problem accessing my account this morning.
And a thought... if SITA does not have the account password, what is the point of now changing it? it won't change the fact that someone may have your EC number or now know you like a window seat.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:33 am

Current password working for me as well this morning.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by lukew
Current password working for me as well this morning.
And now changed to new password with no problems.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Yeoman5
no problem accessing my account this morning.
And a thought... if SITA does not have the account password, what is the point of now changing it? it won't change the fact that someone may have your EC number or now know you like a window seat.
Better be safe than sorry - SITA holds a lot of customer information.

Anyway, I don't understand all the brouhaha on these pages. I got the email, went on BA.com, reset the password, job done.

Then I promptly forgot the password but that's because I'm a muppet.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 13901
Better be safe than sorry - SITA holds a lot of customer information.

Anyway, I don't understand all the brouhaha on these pages. I got the email, went on BA.com, reset the password, job done.

Then I promptly forgot the password but that's because I'm a muppet.
These days, with so many devices and apps, people really should be looking at a reputable password manager and using 2 factor authentication if/when available. The text file on the PC, letting your browser remember everything or just using an extra ! or number as a password variation is going to lead to trouble in the end.

Check out https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-password-managers for an idea of what to use
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.