Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:36 am

Same here. Changed password and now I’m locked out

Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There's no point in trying to change your password, BA have most likely locked everyones out and will probably do a slow slow approach, especially after what happened the last time. They won't be taking any risks. BA will be swamped with many callers now, better to leave it for few days. Unlikely, anyone will get into your account as its locked out.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Varies
What an utter pain in the arse. I had to reset the password several times even though I swapped to using my email address rather than my membership number.

I much preferred using my membership number to log in but that seems impossible now.

I'm very grumpy today anyway due to other companies screwing up, having 40 minute waits on the phone, being passed to 8 different people at one of them, etc etc. None of that is BA's fault, but I wish companies would acknowledge that they're not the only one we deal with on a regular basis, and that it would be really helpful if they made it easier for us to do simple things. Having to reset my password three times, and then having to re-sign in on the app on various mobile devices is the icing on the cake today.

Rant over. I have no problem with having to change my password every now and then - in fact it's a good idea. But I just wish, for once, something would work first time.

edited to add, it does work now
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Are we assuming that the email is genuine?

One of us, who uses BA rarely, got an odd POUG email earlier today and then this. And would it normally say "Dear Customer'?
not just BA is affected. SQ n CX have also revealed same situation. I think many other more airlines are affected.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Email address worked for me and Mrs S.
SxMan likes this.

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Originally Posted by wb1969
Same here.
me too honestly good old BA
SxMan likes this.

Programs: BAEC
So much for a quiet weekend for the IT team.

I’ve just received the email. It’s a little strange to say oh company X has a breach and we have nothing to do with it, they don’t have your info or password but can you change your password just incase.

I understand why and this might be precautionary but what are you actually saying?!
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:42 am

Yeah it’s not just BA. I got a similar email from A3 (but they told me I didn’t have to do anything)
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BA (GFL, GGL, CCR); Marriott (Lifetime Titanium); HH (Diamond); Hertz (PC)
Have had the same experience as everybody above. Just called GGL line. Sounds like they're getting inundated with calls about this. I feel sorry for them having to deal with this at 6.30pm on a Friday night.
GGL line confirmed that my account is locked and on the phone we tried to unlock it with a new password after they sent me a reset link, but, as with others above, it is not recognising the BAEC number. So failed which GGL operator was not expecting. He confirmed it will go to another department to unlock.
So have decided to just leave it till Monday and let them sort it out. If the account is locked, and they have told me that, and they have confirmed my current balances in an email, then I am ok to wait while they get themselves sorted.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I did the password change and am now back into my account, but I had to switch from using my membership number to my email address as my username... that seems to be the key to resolving the issue with 'membership number not recognised'
geo1005, seanp7, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:47 am

Well this sucks... The website now doesn't recognise my membership number nor either of the email addresses BA has registered for me as a valid login username. Yet it will let me change my password using the exec club number.

If it wasn't for the few hundred thousand Avios I think I'd give up and start again tbh.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
bit absurd im told to change my password then are unable to log in with neither my baec or email. well done!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by M_at
Well this sucks... The website now doesn't recognise my membership number nor either of the email addresses BA has registered for me as a valid login username. Yet it will let me change my password using the exec club number.

If it wasn't for the few hundred thousand Avios I think I'd give up and start again tbh.
Personally I would hold off until IT get their heads around this and fix whatever is broken. Maybe revisit later tonight or tomorrow.
BETTERMJ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Interesting. I got the same message from Lufthansa earlier today, although SITA wasn't directly named. Seems many airlines will be in a similar situation.

I can't log into ba.com either.
This'll be why you got 2 notifications as it affects a small number of both OW and *A carriers:-

Sita had informed Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Finnair and a South Korean carrier called Jeju Air that their passengers had been affected by the breach of its passenger service system (PSS) servers,”
https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/news/...s-cyber-attack
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I'm not going to do anything.

I just don't see any reason to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.