Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BETTERMJ
Have had the same experience as everybody above. Just called GGL line. Sounds like they're getting inundated with calls about this. I feel sorry for them having to deal with this at 6.30pm on a Friday night.
GGL line confirmed that my account is locked and on the phone we tried to unlock it with a new password after they sent me a reset link, but, as with others above, it is not recognising the BAEC number. So failed which GGL operator was not expecting. He confirmed it will go to another department to unlock.
So have decided to just leave it till Monday and let them sort it out. If the account is locked, and they have told me that, and they have confirmed my current balances in an email, then I am ok to wait while they get themselves sorted.
Good plan. I would urge anyone reading this to give them time to fix whatever is broken. Just note whatever is held in your account as a just in case. But I’m sure it will be fixed if they’ve triggered that email.
BETTERMJ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:56 am

Have changed my password, but can’t get into account now. So seems to be wider issue. Good job it’s not a Friday evening at JFK like back in the day...
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Nephoi
wonderful...

"We will not contact you by phone and ask for your password - please do not reveal your password to anyone claiming to be from British Airways. If you need to contact us, you can do so via our contact centres."

i got a text with the verification. thats a contact by phone.

You got a text. Nobody asked you for your password. What's the problem?
scoonee and flatlander like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I'm kind of surprised that SITA would have any actual data as they were primarily a private networking company, at least back in the days when I had anything to do with them. Which was basically setting up RIP to send data over SITA to Lockheed-Martin instead of over the public internet. Then again, that was about 20 or so years ago so things have probably changed.

But, as I like to say, if you're any good in IT, you're not going to stay in aviation.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Able to change password and sign in now.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: F
Used the forgot my password link, set a new password using my membership number which is what I always use, but could not log in with the new password. I tried switching to my email address but that did not work either with the new password. Finally I guessed at a username without an "@" (although I do not recall setting one) and that let me through to the send SMS and pick yet another password page. I could now login using the guessed-at username and the second new password.

So .. I went to my account details where I see that "username" is UNSET and my email address is meant to be my username. I have changed this to specifically be the guessed-at username and now it both shows it in my account details and I can continue to login.

Holy c**p.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Used email

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Good plan. I would urge anyone reading this to give them time to fix whatever is broken. Just note whatever is held in your account as a just in case. But I’m sure it will be fixed if they’ve triggered that email.
having gone to the trouble of changing my password, twice, I also then found it did not recognise my membership number. However – I did work when I used my BA email address instead along with the new, new – that second new – password 🙈🙉
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by greg5
I'm kind of surprised that SITA would have any actual data as they were primarily a private networking company, at least back in the days when I had anything to do with them. Which was basically setting up RIP to send data over SITA to Lockheed-Martin instead of over the public internet. Then again, that was about 20 or so years ago so things have probably changed.

But, as I like to say, if you're any good in IT, you're not going to stay in aviation.
They market a Passenger Management System called Horizon which appears to be the software that was compromised.
greg5 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’m as infuriated as everyone else. If the company didn’t have my password, why is BA making me change it ? This makes no sense whatsoever. Total and unnecessary hassle alround...
skippythelizard likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Using the email address worked for me. I managed to complete the new password and then changed the ID from my BAEC number to my email and I'm in fine. Glad actually, as I'm just about to book my first flight in ages (for 2022!!!)
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fontana
There's no point in trying to change your password, BA have most likely locked everyones out and will probably do a slow slow approach, especially after what happened the last time. They won't be taking any risks. BA will be swamped with many callers now, better to leave it for few days. Unlikely, anyone will get into your account as its locked out.
It may seem like a sledgehammer measure to block everybody's accounts because a 3rd party provider with no direct connection to BA's systems has suffered a breach, but remember that BA is coming off a massive fine for inadequate security measures resulting in a huge breach of their own, so one can certainly understand them erring on the side of caution / overreacting (choose your preference) to this incident
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by bafan
I’m as infuriated as everyone else. If the company didn’t have my password, why is BA making me change it ? This makes no sense whatsoever. Total and unnecessary hassle alround...
That is probably because their experience is that many people use the same password on multiple sites. As is is linked to an email address, when one site is hacked and their emails are taken then the hackers will just try the other carriers and get in on plenty of the muppets accounts.

As a data reference point I got an email from Aegean before I saw the BA one informing me about the hacked Star Alliance issue:
Dear Miles+Bonus member,

AEGEAN was notified by SITA (Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques), a third party system provider of another Star Alliance airline, that it had experienced a cyber security incident involving certain passenger data that was stored in its passenger service system which is used to support airline operations.

In particular, the passenger data impacted by this incident was the name, membership number and tier status of Frequent Flyer Program members. These are the data made available by AEGEAN to Star Alliance and through SITA to other Star Alliance airlines, to allow Frequent Flyer status recognition around the world.

The incident did not affect members’ password or any other sensitive personal information (email, reservations, ID card or payment card information) which were not available in this database as they are not shared by AEGEAN or the other Star Alliance member airlines.

There is no evidence that your account data in AEGEAN Miles+Bonus program have been compromised or misused and no action is required on your side. The incident did not affect AEGEAN own systems in any way.

By this proactive communication, we intend to make you aware of the above and we kindly ask you to address or report at [email protected] any relevant query or issue.

Best Regards,

Miles+Bonus
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Executive
No it doesn't always work. Tried the password forget and it won't accept any information from me. Put my email address in and it says another member already has that address! Any suggestions?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Managed to change my password for ba.com using the 'Forgot details' option. Now I can't log in at all. Doesn't recognise my email address or membership number at all now. How difficult can this be?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Something I noticed in the email from BA about this data breach and resetting of passwords:

Please log into your account and reset your password
Please create a new password that you have not used elsewhere
Once your password has been reset and you have completed a verification step, you will be able to regain full access to your account
What is this verification step?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.