Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Are we assuming that the email is genuine?

One of us, who uses BA rarely, got an odd POUG email earlier today and then this. And would it normally say "Dear Customer'?
To be fair, it does state my membership no, as well as my tier points and statyus at the bottom of the email and it doesn't have any external links. This is unless, BA's website has been hijacked, but if that was the case, BA would probably be on a very high-alert.

SITA themselves have confirmed the breach on their website, so I'm inclined to believe it. https://www.sita.aero/pressroom/news...rity-incident/
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: BA
Maybe this is helpful to others - received the same email, always use my BA membership number to login and got the same "details not recognised" re-direct on the website when trying to login.
After several failed attempts, tried my registered email address instead (which I never ever ever use to login) and that did the trick. Was then prompted to reset my password after getting a verification code.
Even after the reset, can now only login using my email and not my membership number, including on the app on all devices.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Reset my password. Had the same issue where the Membership ID wasn't recognized but just hit Forgot Password/PIN and it worked fine.

Folks, it takes about 30 seconds. Nothing to get excited about if your membership ID doesn't work.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I received the email after I had a mini panic attack thinking my account had been compromised since I could not access it.

This could have been handled better...
ed_flyer, jonkx and Nephoi like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
On the new and old passwords step after the first reset it doesn't need you to set a different password (so no need to come up with two new passwords).
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:24 am

I was able to reset my password OK and log into ba.com. However can't log into Executive Club Rewards Android app with new password, get this error:

​​​​​Sorry, there has been a technical error. Please try again later.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Paren
I received the email after I had a mini panic attack thinking my account had been compromised since I could not access it.
Same.
Paren likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have the "We are not able to recognise the membership number that you have supplied. Please check and re-enter" and this is after using the password reset functionality. Same on the BA app as well - it no longer recognises the password / PIN combination. What a shambles. It's a good job so few of us are flying with BA at the moment
ttama likes this.

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by seanp7
Reset my password. Had the same issue where the Membership ID wasn't recognized but just hit Forgot Password/PIN and it worked fine.

Folks, it takes about 30 seconds. Nothing to get excited about if your membership ID doesn't work.
You might have been lucky. I have reset my password twice now and still getting the same error message.
geo1005 and ttama like this.

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paren

This could have been handled better...
i got the mail after changing my password and getting the verification code via SMS
ed_flyer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Are we assuming that the email is genuine?
I got an earlier message along the same lines from Aegean so I think it’s genuine. Like others I’ve been logged out but my reset email has just arrived.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by MatJarosz
To be fair, it does state my membership no, as well as my tier points and statyus at the bottom of the email and it doesn't have any external links. This is unless, BA's website has been hijacked, but if that was the case, BA would probably be on a very high-alert.
I hadn't seen the SITA announcement but other references imply that the FF information is exactly what has been breached - I imagine fake emails would therefore include that information to make them look real.

From the Grauniad:
The breach was linked to frequent flyer data but was limited to “your name, tier status and membership number”, the email from Air New Zealand said.
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:32 am

Literally got thrown out as I was in the process of booking a companion voucher in club to the Maldives. I’ll be gutted if I can’t find those seats again!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I have the "We are not able to recognise the membership number that you have supplied. Please check and re-enter" and this is after using the password reset functionality. Same on the BA app as well - it no longer recognises the password / PIN combination. What a shambles. It's a good job so few of us are flying with BA at the moment
So having got this error I tried logging in with my e-mail address instead of my BAEC number. That took me to a page asking to verify my identity and an option to send a code via SMS or e-mail. The SMS code didn't arrive, so I tried the e-mail option. It did arrive and I was then able to change my password yet again. Logging in with my BAEC number *still* didn't work, but logging in using my e-mail address did.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
You might have been lucky. I have reset my password twice now and still getting the same error message.
Instead of your Membership No as logon, have you tried your email (as referenced in this thread)? Working fine here.

Originally Posted by Geordie405
So having got this error I tried logging in with my e-mail address instead of my BAEC number. That took me to a page asking to verify my identity and an option to send a code via SMS or e-mail. The SMS code didn't arrive, so I tried the e-mail option. It did arrive and I was then able to change my password yet again. Logging in with my BAEC number *still* didn't work, but logging in using my e-mail address did.
Same experience here, but I'm in now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.