Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Pero Lolo oplatek 000k0

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
LHR-SOF is £148 with one night's stay in March. Hardly a mega run, at 160TP, and the obvious big risk of it not happening - but that's under half price for that route.

Side note: I'd definitely like to see more ex-UK fares if decent ones exipst.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:19 am

All of these are weekend getaways in March that give 160 TPs
BA: LHR to IST from £223
BA: LHR to OTP from £163
BA: LHR to ATH from £199
BA: LHR to SOF from £148
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Nest the other way round with back to backs and you only need 1 PCR test which you could get by staying at the sofitel on the Friday night.

I think we have to factor in the price of tests, not just hotels, in our calculations now.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Assuming its looking better by May I am not looking forward to working out my Covid Test bookings for my AGP-LHR-SOF-LHR-OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX // LAS-JFK-HEL-AGP tier point run . The route home is ok as its all with 72hrs and straight through however the nightstops at LHR (twice), SOF and OTP might make things interesting unless a rapid system is in place by then.

Wishful thinking I know - (its all gonna get cancelled before then).
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Assuming its looking better by May I am not looking forward to working out my Covid Test bookings for my AGP-LHR-SOF-LHR-OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX // LAS-JFK-HEL-AGP tier point run . The route home is ok as its all with 72hrs and straight through however the nightstops at LHR (twice), SOF and OTP might make things interesting unless a rapid system is in place by then.

Wishful thinking I know - (its all gonna get cancelled before then).
I hope that you are wrong. I am now doing everything for the end of this year as I cannot see this improving this side of Easter. If what I read is true and if a lot if not most people have been inoculated by summer then we might see a relaxation in the rules - but I suspect that some of the rules will stay in place until the summer.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
A reminder that you should be prepared to tell the specific flight numbers to the agent, I strongly recommend doing your own research before calling in.
In my run in December, I preferred SFO rather than SJC because it was the same price at that time and SFO obviously had more flight options and has an Admirals Club.
Run sorted! Only took 2 agents. First was an hour talking through the exact flights again, and again, and again for them say it would be an additional $1k+ to reticket. Asked them to cancel the changes and revert back which turned into them cancelling the booking and issuing a credit. Once that email popped up I called back for the second agent to sort everything out in under 20 mins. Incredibly helpful.

Went for FEB 6: SJC-PHX-MIA-LAX-MIA (red-eye) FEB7: MIA-PHX-SJC. Sacrificed the additional TP for a 777-200 on the MIA-LAX leg to enjoy something other than a sandwich/cheese. Additionally, the 3h 39m layover in MIA means I can try out the new Turkish Airlines Priority Pass Lounge or AMEX Lounge.

Though PHL has opened up this week, looked like everything closed at 17:00, including the AMEX Lounge, just as I landed and the AA Lounge was only open for another hr or so making the 3h 39m layover less appealing.

440TP and 22,208 Avios for $159.60 isn't a bad return. £0.28/TP if my math lines up.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Silly19
Run sorted! Only took 2 agents. First was an hour talking through the exact flights again, and again, and again for them say it would be an additional $1k+ to reticket. Asked them to cancel the changes and revert back which turned into them cancelling the booking and issuing a credit. Once that email popped up I called back for the second agent to sort everything out in under 20 mins. Incredibly helpful.

Went for FEB 6: SJC-PHX-MIA-LAX-MIA (red-eye) FEB7: MIA-PHX-SJC. Sacrificed the additional TP for a 777-200 on the MIA-LAX leg to enjoy something other than a sandwich/cheese. Additionally, the 3h 39m layover in MIA means I can try out the new Turkish Airlines Priority Pass Lounge or AMEX Lounge.

Though PHL has opened up this week, looked like everything closed at 17:00, including the AMEX Lounge, just as I landed and the AA Lounge was only open for another hr or so making the 3h 39m layover less appealing.

440TP and 22,208 Avios for $159.60 isn't a bad return. £0.28/TP if my math lines up.
That's great news.
However, a small reminder that the TK Lounge in MIA E is closed at the moment, only the MIA J lounge is open which would involve double security so the Centurion Lounge would be your best bet for MIA which won't involve security for your specific transfer.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
That's great news.
However, a small reminder that the TK Lounge in MIA E is closed at the moment, only the MIA J lounge is open which would involve double security so the Centurion Lounge would be your best bet for MIA which won't involve security for your specific transfer.
Thanks. How long would you think it would take to go from the TK MIA J Lounge to Gate D30 or D12 with TSA Pre?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Silly19
Thanks. How long would you think it would take to go from the TK MIA J Lounge to Gate D30 or D12 with TSA Pre?
10-15 walk minutes per direction + wait at security
I could not give an estimate of the wait at the TSA checkpoints in both directions.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
LHR-SOF is £148 with one night's stay in March. Hardly a mega run, at 160TP, and the obvious big risk of it not happening
BA just cancelled my March (booked pre-xmas) LHR-SOF 4/March (although I see in the app the return leg is still booked) and no _obvious_ option to rebook it online.

I'll wait a while and give them a call.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Dear fellow TP runners,

i have a (general) question regarding luggage.
i planned quite a journey.
Ticket 1) BER-LHR-SOF
Ticket 2) SOF-LHR-overnight-HEL-ORD.....
Ticket 1 and 2 build a B2B connection

and
Ticket 2) .... ORD-HEL-LHR-overnight-SOF
Ticket 3) SOF-LHR-HKG
Ticket 2 and 3 build a B2B connection

would it be possible to
(1) pick up the luggage in LHR (outbound ticket 1) and check in in LHR for ticket 2 prior to the departure to HEL (which means baggage waits in London while I'll do the LHR-SOF-LHR part). I have 5h30 minutes connection time, i would deposit it in the hotel.
(2) pick up the luggage in LHR (inbound ticket2) and check in in LHR for ticket 3 prior to the departure to HKG(which means baggage waits in London while I'll do the LHR-SOF-LHR part)

CallCenter in Bremen said that this wont be possible cause Luggage has to be checked in at the very beginning of the ticket. but im quite not sure and wanted to double check.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Nephoi
Dear fellow TP runners,

i have a (general) question regarding luggage.
i planned quite a journey.
Ticket 1) BER-LHR-SOF
Ticket 2) SOF-LHR-overnight-HEL-ORD.....
Ticket 1 and 2 build a B2B connection

and
Ticket 2) .... ORD-HEL-LHR-overnight-SOF
Ticket 3) SOF-LHR-HKG
Ticket 2 and 3 build a B2B connection

would it be possible to
(1) pick up the luggage in LHR (outbound ticket 1) and check in in LHR for ticket 2 prior to the departure to HEL (which means baggage waits in London while I'll do the LHR-SOF-LHR part). I have 5h30 minutes connection time, i would deposit it in the hotel.
(2) pick up the luggage in LHR (inbound ticket2) and check in in LHR for ticket 3 prior to the departure to HKG(which means baggage waits in London while I'll do the LHR-SOF-LHR part)

CallCenter in Bremen said that this wont be possible cause Luggage has to be checked in at the very beginning of the ticket. but im quite not sure and wanted to double check.
If it was the same day then I don't see why not (and have done it myself) but if it was the next day then I am not sure that it would work.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
If it was the same day then I don't see why not (and have done it myself) but if it was the next day then I am not sure that it would work.
thats what i tought too.
but follow up questions
(1) how do i get my luggage in LHR after checking it in BER-LHR-SOF?
(2) how do i convince the airport staff in LHR to check in that luggage after i had non on the SOF-LHR?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. At LHR, you could always head to the baggage services desk at the arrivals hall and ask for your bag to be pulled in case your bag is thru checked.
2. That is not an issue, just show up at the check-in counter and the agents would be able to check for the remainder of your itinerary.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: Centurion BA GGL IHG Diamond

I'm trying to book this with BookWithMatrix and I select AA to purchase the ticket they give me the following error "You can't book connecting flights as individual flight segments. Please change your flight search". Can anyone spot the error with my flight selection, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.