Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by stuinn
Can I ask what is Crystal. Is it a travel agent?
Yep, an OTA - https://www.crystaltravel.co.uk/
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond IHG Spire ANEK Ferries Gold
Originally Posted by ubiest
. Usual health warnings about leaving important safety buffers between two tickets etc.
How long between flights do you recommend ? I’m new to this so any advice is most welcome.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BravoKilo
How long between flights do you recommend ? I’m new to this so any advice is most welcome.
It depends on the airport and at what stage of the journey you are at eg first port of call into the US so need longer time to clear immigration and if necessary change terminal. If on domestic connection then less time (1 hour of less) but again depends on the airport and if you want to spend time in a lounge between flights.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond IHG Spire ANEK Ferries Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
It depends on the airport and at what stage of the journey you are at eg first port of call into the US so need longer time to clear immigration and if necessary change terminal. If on domestic connection then less time (1 hour of less) but again depends on the airport and if you want to spend time in a lounge between flights.
I have about 75 minutes between flights at JFK it’s a AA to AA domestic connection both in T8
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:30 am

Thanks flights booked
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Hello everyone,

Never done a TP run before and am half tempted to give it a try and go with my partner. I'm thinking of HNL but I'm restricted to November which probably pushes the price up a bit. I've worked up an itinerary: BUD-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-BOS-LHR-HEL-BUD. It's priced at £2,352 for 1080TP. Does that seem reasonable or have I missed a trick?

Thanks for an inspiring thread
Ice
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by icebird
Hello everyone,

Never done a TP run before and am half tempted to give it a try and go with my partner. I'm thinking of HNL but I'm restricted to November which probably pushes the price up a bit. I've worked up an itinerary: BUD-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-BOS-LHR-HEL-BUD. It's priced at £2,352 for 1080TP. Does that seem reasonable or have I missed a trick?

Thanks for an inspiring thread
Ice
It should be around £1500, so make sure you've got I-class on all AA segments.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:20 pm

It's priced at £2,352 for 1080TP. Does that seem reasonable or have I missed a trick?
These kind of TP runs intrigue me. You haven't/don't travel enough to retain status but spending £2352 to retain status for a year is worthwhile to you? Do people really get that kind of value repaid out of having status?

I travel monthly for work in economy - around 7 hours flying time, 3 flights - but couldn't imagine spending that kind of money to retain status
Stez and Radiation Station like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by megaloman
It should be around £1500, so make sure you've got I-class on all AA segments.
Thanks megaloman. This is what I've got. I guess I need to do some more advance query - or perhaps I class is sold out on these dates?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by wcel
These kind of TP runs intrigue me. You haven't/don't travel enough to retain status but spending £2352 to retain status for a year is worthwhile to you? Do people really get that kind of value repaid out of having status?

I travel monthly for work in economy - around 7 hours flying time, 3 flights - but couldn't imagine spending that kind of money to retain status
I'm not especially desperate as I've retained gold but my partner is keen... swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I think a lot of people on the forum like flying/planes. Spending time in flat bed business class is (*usually*) not a bad way to spend time and hopefully can incorporate a few nights in Hawaii. I'm looking at a similar itinerary for Feb at circa £1500, 920 TPs and will get nearly 45 000 avios back too (so somewhere between £360-£540 value depending on how you value them).
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I think there is an “advance booking” rule in the BUD fare codes - possibly 6 months? - which allows the $1800/ £1500 prices.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold

It’s a good question, and I often wonder about it when people are talking in terms of needing almost the full amount of points for a status level. Ultimately it’s the individuals choice. I feel someone in your situation would benefit from status, all that economy flying, getting lounge access and fast track, seat choice, it’s on economy flights that status is more rewarding. My policy has always been to TP optimise routes, start ex-EU for price, and then as many hops as I can be bothered with to keep status. Personally I wouldn’t drop £2K+ just to achieve status, especially as all those hops to Hawaii is brutal on the body, and given you ‘reasonably’ need some time at the destination it’s quite a bit more when factoring in hotel costs.
BravoKilo and m8_rotate like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks megaloman. This is what I've got. I guess I need to do some more advance query - or perhaps I class is sold out on these dates?
I think current I-class fare requires 180 days advance purchase, so won't work for November dates, hence it books you into R-class instead of I-class (BA short haul usually books into J).
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by megaloman
I think current I-class fare requires 180 days advance purchase, so won't work for November dates, hence it books you into R-class instead of I-class (BA short haul usually books into J).
That's very helpful. I might go back to the drawing board

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.