Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
exactly, on a single ticket, I’m not worried
Indeed, it's not an issue with a single ticket, but I just don't grasp why some book itineraries that lack refinement or at least giving the itinerary a second thought. In this case: the tight JFK layover and transit could've been avoided by booking e.g. AA2652 as BA4672. Also: nine hours at HEL is absolutely excessive, unless one leaves the airport for a 2-3 hr walk in Helsinki. AY1335 as BA6079 would've done the trick for a comfortable airport layover, if not planning to leave the airport.

But it's not my trips, so each to their own. It's just something that keeps me puzzled, as I see various itineraries people book.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Indeed, it's not an issue with a single ticket, but I just don't grasp why some book itineraries that lack refinement or at least giving the itinerary a second thought. In this case: the tight JFK layover and transit could've been avoided by booking e.g. AA2652 as BA4672. Also: nine hours at HEL is absolutely excessive, unless one leaves the airport for a 2-3 hr walk in Helsinki. AY1335 as BA6079 would've done the trick for a comfortable airport layover, if not planning to leave the airport.

But it's not my trips, so each to their own. It's just something that keeps me puzzled, as I see various itineraries people book.
I've had runs where I just can't get the better timed flights to work.
I'd rather not fly into JFK at 10pm and have to be back at the airport 6hrs later (less shuttle, immigration delays etc.) but sometimes you can't get booked onto specific flights. AA themselves changed one of my flights last month from a relaxing 11am or so one to 7am and I couldn't change it back.

I don't mind a decent layover sometimes. Last time I was in PHX, I took the light rail downtown to have a look around for 3-4hrs. Never been into the city, and probably won't again after that as not an exciting place
Helsinki is very easy to walk around for 2-3hrs. Good airport to be stuck at with lounge access

I'm sure at times I've booked the first thing that came up as I got a bit excited by 1000TP for £xxx, or just wanted to grab something before I class availability on the transcon went. With AA, if you time it right, you know fine they'll change something and you can tweak it potentially to your advantage anyway.
I'm sure some people aren't fully clued up on how to tweak routings and don't come here for advice.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by RB211
So how does one overnight at LHR for free? (Because that's what it looks like is required!)
That particular example was based on the possibility that the question asker lived there - as at the top of the post

"Either overnight at AMS, or if you are London-based, arrange to go home mid-trip."
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec

Originally Posted by xenole
I've had runs where I just can't get the better timed flights to work.
I'd rather not fly into JFK at 10pm and have to be back at the airport 6hrs later (less shuttle, immigration delays etc.) but sometimes you can't get booked onto specific flights.
This. Personally I also want to avoid any short overnight, but sometimes there seems to be no alternative working out. Of course, booking well in advance, one can always count on AA schedule changes
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
That particular example was based on the possibility that the question asker lived there - as at the top of the post

"Either overnight at AMS, or if you are London-based, arrange to go home mid-trip."
Edit: You are correct - misread the original question post. Apologies!

rb211.

Last edited by RB211; Jan 21, 2022 at 3:35 pm Reason: Incorrect reading!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold

I’ll take a long sauna + shower after a transcon and a TATL 😉 (if the Platinum lounge is opened by that time). PS. Would have been more fun though if they still had a sauna complex like before the refurbishment. Missed it on my prepandemic trips via HEL
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm sure some people aren't fully clued up on how to tweak routings and don't come here for advice.
I would agree with this as the mileage maximization of the SOF-West Coast and the AGP-West Coast fare were probably written more than 50 times in this thread and/or the 2020 thread and people still come with shorter options with fewer layovers resulting in fewer TP's which looks that the shorter itinerary could satisfy the needs of those people.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Tempted by this for sure

But can I check with the users of JFK whether a 1 15min connection is feasible at JFK, T8? It’s immigration I’m thinking of on a U.K. passport with no GE. And also is it doable only with HBO?
I did T7 to T8 on the 20th at JFK with HBO.

Luckily I wasn't on a tight connection, because although there was no queues from getting off the plane to passport control, there was a problem scanning my passport. They couldn't match my biometrics on the camera to the passport scan! Despite me previously being in the US in 2019 and 2020 respectively. Got taken into a side room, questioned on my travel plans, I then got taken to a different passport scanning machine and the camera suddenly worked! That cost me about 15 mins. The transfer to T8 was quick enough, but when I got to T8, after my boarding pass was scanned the queue for the TSA bag scan took about 30 mins as they only had one scanner open, and after 15 mins of waiting then they decided to open a second one up, which only benefitted those who had joined the queue further back. From the timestamps on messages to my wife, it took me 55 mins from walking off the plane to getting into T8
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:13 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Someone always manages to suggest me in a better direction on here so any input much appreciated!
I need to be in Vegas in June. I'm a little tempted to book this, but some quick deal usually pops up free of 90/180 day booking restrictions at some point. Having to book separate travel to LAS from LAX is far from ideal, but there's a decent price difference.

I would edit the last leg so it goes from Gatwick so I could skip it.
A couple of questions if anyone would be so kind...
1. Are all the NYC-LAX sharklets flat beds?
2. Is 2:30 on the way out and 2hrs coming back ok for the connect in NYC? I'm aware it's not a usual transit.
3. Is MAD possible as a B2B?
4. On the Matrix is there any benefit to paying the little bit extra and clicking the 'BA' price to get BA codes etc?
5. I have actually found a £1.5k fare for MAD-LHR-NYC-LAS, but when I try to add LAX before Vegas then Matrix comes back with no results. Any idea why? Even LHR-NYC-LAX-LAS comes back with no results.
Thanks

Last edited by PxC; Jan 22, 2022 at 7:10 am
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PxC
A couple of questions if anyone would be so kind...
1. Are all the NYC-LAX sharklets flat beds?
2. Is 2:30 on the way out and 2hrs coming back ok for the connect in NYC? I'm aware it's not a usual transit.
1. Yes, Sharklets denotes the three class Airbus A321T at American Airlines. I also believe all flights JFK-LAX on AA use that aircraft pretty much exclusively, so you're good to go there.

2. Yes, should be plenty of time to connect.

I'll leave the remaining answers to others, but the B2B thread will have the info on your MAD B2B question
efincomputer and PxC like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Outbound you've got bags of time with 2:30 - you'll be arriving in to the same terminal, so plenty of time to go and enjoy the flagship lounge.

On the way back, you'll be connecting domestically, so it should be simpler, but you'll need to transfer from T8 to T7 and clear security, so you should have plenty of time, but I wouldn't hang around.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
4. One benefit of having all flights with BA numbers is that you‘ll be able to book it on the BA website via Powertools. And if i‘m not mistaken, more avios.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Centurion BA GGL IHG Diamond
Can anyone help me find a run EX NY to ORD please? Best I can come up with in feb is EWR-CLT-ORD RT. £325 I'm sure I can add in another leg giving me that golden 240 tier points any help that would be great
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Komodromou
Can anyone help me find a run EX NY to ORD please? Best I can come up with in feb is EWR-CLT-ORD RT. £325 I'm sure I can add in another leg giving me that golden 240 tier points any help that would be great
any specific dates?
Komodromou likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: Centurion BA GGL IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Nephoi
any specific dates?
Ideally, the end of February but can be any time in the month honesty Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.