Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paxing
All this with their 7mth daughter. Fortunately, their daughter did not scream the place down (in either airport) but the wait for baggage was really tedious. Eventually Mum came out to where we were waiting in order to get to the car to feed her. BA have agreed to pay the extra time the car was in the parking but - is there any redress?

Will BA just say, "The airport facilities are beyond our control?"
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Certainly a bad experience, but not in scope for EC261. It is part of the customer experience so perhaps it should be, and it may encourage airlines to handle this better. Usually BA at least are tolerant of people just walking off and leaving it for a courier delivery several days later, but that's really only works well for those who live within about 100 miles of LHR. So no, I can't see any compensation there. AMS / KLM even stopped all checked baggage yesterday for all Europe transit passengers and as far as I can tell there is no come back to passengers for that. If it annoys you, then try and work out ways of going hand baggage only. Difficult with a 7 month child but certainly not impossible.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Looking back at a trip I took in January 2022 it looks like it might be eligible for EC/UK261 compensation. Can someone confirm before I write in to claim?

BA306 LHR-CDG for Jan 2nd 2022 was cancelled 24th Dec 2021, so within 14 days. Original scheduled times were dep 0835 arr 1100. I chose to be rescheduled on the next flight BA308, which had an actual gate arrival of 1443 so this was over 3hrs after the original flight was due to arrive

Would this qualify for compensation? If so, how much and how should I claim? Would I do one email for all passengers together?

Last edited by salut0; Jul 22, 2022 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: BA VS
Many Thanks folks. The airports are .... Nope, I cannot think of the correct words!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by salut0
Looking back at a trip I took in January 2022 it looks like it might be eligible for EC/UK261 compensation. Can someone confirm before I write in to claim?

BA306 LHR-CDG for Jan 2nd 2022 was cancelled 24th Dec 2021, so within 14 days. Original scheduled times were dep 0835 arr 1100. I chose to be rescheduled on the next flight BA308, which had an actual gate arrival of 1443 so this was over 3hrs after the original flight was due to arrive

Would this qualify for compensation? If so, how much and how should I claim? Would I do one email for all passengers together?
When it comes to cancellations done in advance, it's the scheduled time that matters (in the main) not the actual time, so the reverse of the situation with on the day delays. So what was your scheduled time of departure originally? And what was the scheduled time of arrival when rebooked?
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
When it comes to cancellations done in advance, it's the scheduled time that matters (in the main) not the actual time, so the reverse of the situation with on the day delays. So what was your scheduled time of departure originally? And what was the scheduled time of arrival when rebooked?
BA 306 original scheduled times:
dep LHR 0835 arr CDG 1100

BA 308 scheduled times:
dep LHR 1155 arr CDG 1415
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:20 am
Original Poster

BA 306 original scheduled times:
dep LHR 0835 arr CDG 1100

BA 308 scheduled times:
dep LHR 1155 arr CDG 1415
Yes, that would not be in scope, it needs to be under 4 hours late.

From my recollection, BA found itself short of staff around Christmas and New Year, partly from a COVID outbreak so a number of flights were cancelled like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:55 am

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice here: I was due to fly out to PMI from EDI via LCY on 8th July. Ba8709 coming into EDI was delayed by 2 hours (Captain when we got on board it was due to them using a different aircraft due to an issue with the original one), which caused me to miss my connecting flight (ba2227) from LCY to PMI. BA agent advised me in the airport to book alternative Jet2 flights from STN and I would get the money back. He then put me in a taxi across London and paid for a nights hotel. Would 261 apply here or would it be void because I abandoned the flight and made my own arrangements (even though a BA employee told me that I would be able to claim the costs back).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that would not be in scope, it needs to be under 4 hours late.

From my recollection, BA found itself short of staff around Christmas and New Year, partly from a COVID outbreak so a number of flights were cancelled like this.
Presumably you mean “over four hours late” if you’re saying it’s not in scope for compensation?

but according to this image from the Wiki above it looks like you get €250 for a cancellation resulting in a delay of over 2hrs for any flight less than 1500km

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/12720684-435f-4c85-8c6f-aeec6d7100bf[/img]
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Presumably you mean “over four hours late” if you’re saying it’s not in scope for compensation?
Yes, the point I was trying to make is that cancellations and delays are treated differently. If you were 3 hours late (on the day) on the new booking then delay compensation applies. If you were 4 hours late on the cancellation schedule (in advance) then you are in scope, but you can't hybrid cancellations and delays.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbruntooo
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice here: I was due to fly out to PMI from EDI via LCY on 8th July. Ba8709 coming into EDI was delayed by 2 hours (Captain when we got on board it was due to them using a different aircraft due to an issue with the original one), which caused me to miss my connecting flight (ba2227) from LCY to PMI. BA agent advised me in the airport to book alternative Jet2 flights from STN and I would get the money back. He then put me in a taxi across London and paid for a nights hotel. Would 261 apply here or would it be void because I abandoned the flight and made my own arrangements (even though a BA employee told me that I would be able to claim the costs back).
I think you're OK, since presumably you asked the agent to rebook you and this was their best outcome. So you should get back the Jet2 flight (the hotel and taxi having been dealt with already) and also EC261 if the cause was technical, which seems to be the case here. However the important point is that even if EC261 did not apply, e.g. bird strike, then the Jet2 flight is still in scope under Right to Care. You do have be wary about self rebookings, but since BA has zero services out of STN at the moment, and yet they sent you there by taxi, there is only only one reason for sending you there - to use another airline.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
14 July:"Thank you for your claim for EU compensation. We’re sorry that your flight, BAXXX on 24 June 2022 to London didn’t depart as scheduled.
....We’ve reviewed your application and we’re pleased to confirm that you’re entitled to compensation under EU Regulation 261. This has been calculated as EUR400 per customer
."

21 July - Payment received

22 July: "We’re sorry we’ve not been back in touch yet about your Customer Relations query and we appreciate your patience. We know you’ve been waiting for a response now for 28 days, but please rest assured we haven’t forgotten about your case and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can."

I am now looking forward to an e-mail in a week's time explaining why my claim has been rejected !
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
14 July:"Thank you for your claim for EU compensation. We’re sorry that your flight, BAXXX on 24 June 2022 to London didn’t depart as scheduled.
....We’ve reviewed your application and we’re pleased to confirm that you’re entitled to compensation under EU Regulation 261. This has been calculated as EUR400 per customer
."

21 July - Payment received

22 July: "We’re sorry we’ve not been back in touch yet about your Customer Relations query and we appreciate your patience. We know you’ve been waiting for a response now for 28 days, but please rest assured we haven’t forgotten about your case and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can."

I am now looking forward to an e-mail in a week's time explaining why my claim has been rejected !
my wife has been getting a similar email for 2 months now. Claim settled within a fortnight.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flight cancelled within 72 hrs prior to departure and moved to next available that departs the following day. Overnight accommodation extension (within reason) and extending hire car I assume will be reimbursable as part of duty of care as well as EU261? Thanks

PS - just out of interest if both legs of a single booking are disrupted is EU261 due twice?? Suspect the level of cancellations BA are experiencing now is getting expensive (although they may be banking on most people not knowing they need to claim...)
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hire car costs are not covered under duty of care. Duty of care is meals, refreshments, hotel, transport between airport and hotel. I am afraid you would have to rely on your travel insurance here.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I had a flight cancelled on 10th June, after 8 weeks of "sorry you are waiting" emails, the claim was rejected due to French ATC strike. I have searched for evidence of any strike on that day and there wasn't any. BA's earlier flight on same route was not affected. I checked other airlines to see if I could link any other flights on that route being cancelled and did not find any, there was quite a few cancellations but nothing relating to the route or any indication of being due to a "strike". I have contacted BA with a request for further proof of this "strike". Meanwhile I came across other "forums" pointing to "flyertalk". Have just spent about an hour going through the site and am impressed with the quality of the posts here. Congratulations.
Was wondering if there was anyone who could check whether my flight was actually cancelled due to a strike or is this a "delaying" tactic. So the cancelled flight was BA2786 LGW to BOD. 13:45. Friday 10th June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.