Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I have a mixed carrier booking - BA and AA - and a long-haul time change has seen one of the inter-US domestic flights (LAX-SEA) move back by a considerable 4hrs and 55mins. Is this sufficient enough to cancel for full refund on an AA ticket? I really can't remember. Thnx.
Originally Posted by KARFA
That's very much a question for AA. Here is a link to their policy https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...40_Refunds.pdf
Also see this thread in the AA forum:
AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)
Old May 17, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Is there any way to monitor BA flight resumptions? I'm looking for DEN-LHR/LHR-DEN non-stop flights, and I did a manual search on ba.com and so far it says the first DEN-LHR flight is on June 30th, but I know it's one of those tentative schedules that could be delayed and canceled at any time. I'm looking for a more concrete way to know when they decide they're officially back.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nayef
Is there any way to monitor BA flight resumptions? I'm looking for DEN-LHR/LHR-DEN non-stop flights, and I did a manual search on ba.com and so far it says the first DEN-LHR flight is on June 30th, but I know it's one of those tentative schedules that could be delayed and canceled at any time. I'm looking for a more concrete way to know when they decide they're officially back.
using the ITAmatrix gives you quite a good overview. just look for DEN-LHR return, nonstop, extension code would be "airlines BA; -codeshare", after that use "See calendar of lowest fares" - it gives you a 30 day overview. after that, chose the following month. Not easy, but doable
Nayef likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Nephoi
Originally Posted by Nayef
using the ITAmatrix gives you quite a good overview. just look for DEN-LHR return, nonstop, extension code would be "airlines BA; -codeshare", after that use "See calendar of lowest fares" - it gives you a 30 day overview. after that, chose the following month. Not easy, but doable
But all that will show you is the dates on which BA is selling seats on flights. It is all provisional and tentative. Any of those flights can be cancelled at any time. If Nayef is looking for something more concrete than that, ITA won't do the job.

At the moment, the only concrete indication that a route is being resumed is really when the first flight takes off. Experience here suggests that a flight should be reasonably firm two weeks before the scheduled date of departure, but we have seen plenty of flights cancelled with less notice than that.
jerry a. laska, stewardo and Nayef like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But all that will show you is the dates on which BA is selling seats on flights. It is all provisional and tentative. Any of those flights can be cancelled at any time. If Nayef is looking for something more concrete than that, ITA won't do the job.

At the moment, the only concrete indication that a route is being resumed is really when the first flight takes off. Experience here suggests that a flight should be reasonably firm two weeks before the scheduled date of departure, but we have seen plenty of flights cancelled with less notice than that.
I follow the social media accounts for the airlines and airports, too, just in case they announce the route resumption.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Hi all. I have a flight SIN-LHR booked in J and a return LHR-SIN booked in F. Flights were booked as one way flights and are on separate PNR's. Both have been cancelled and I would like to re-book for new dates, however at the moment the flight LHR-SIN is shown as a 787 without an F cabin while the flight SIN-LHR flight is a 777 with F.

Just curious what my options are here. If I call them would they be flexible enough to just reverse F to the outbound leg and J for the return.? Or will I have to downgrade to J in which case would they refund the Avios difference.? If I book J and then they have an equipment change that has F can I request its re-instated.?

Had a browse around but couldn't find the answer, any input appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cmdsea
Hi all. I have a flight SIN-LHR booked in J and a return LHR-SIN booked in F. Flights were booked as one way flights and are on separate PNR's. Both have been cancelled and I would like to re-book for new dates, however at the moment the flight LHR-SIN is shown as a 787 without an F cabin while the flight SIN-LHR flight is a 777 with F.

Just curious what my options are here. If I call them would they be flexible enough to just reverse F to the outbound leg and J for the return.? Or will I have to downgrade to J in which case would they refund the Avios difference.? If I book J and then they have an equipment change that has F can I request its re-instated.?

Had a browse around but couldn't find the answer, any input appreciated. Thank you.
Reversing the tickets wouldn't be possible. They are two independent contracts and they could not be combined.
You could rebook your SIN-LHR leg in F by paying the extra Avios and you could get the Avios difference back on your LHR-SIN leg as you would be downgraded.
To upgrade the SIN-LHR leg into F, you would need upgrade availability as well.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Reversing the tickets wouldn't be possible. They are two independent contracts and they could not be combined.
You could rebook your SIN-LHR leg in F by paying the extra Avios and you could get the Avios difference back on your LHR-SIN leg as you would be downgraded.
To upgrade the SIN-LHR leg into F, you would need upgrade availability as well.
Thank you and I follow the logic. The twist in the tail is that I booked the flights during an award sale last October and paid 43,750Avios for J and 59,500 for F so unfortunately rebooking would invoke the normal rates and not be a good move.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:12 am

Today around 9 am i got the famous seat change email.
around midday I got an email with the new itinerary called

BA confirmation of flight changes

Changes to your itinerary

Following our recent contact regarding your affected flights, please see details below of the changes that have been agreed. If you require any further information regarding your itinerary, please refer to ba.com or your travel agent.

i got rerouted cause of a cancellation. I never had „a recent contact regarding my affected flights“

i called the exec line to be sure I got rights to change or cancel the ticket (and that it is noted I didn’t accept the changes) and they told me the ticket got reissued manually „in house“

i never got the changes email with the blue and red squares

is that standard procedure? Is that new? What happened? Should I be worried? Am I on some kind of naughty list? Do I have the right to cancel? ( if yes, how long? Hotline told me I have to decide soon?), do I have a right to change the date according to customer Covid guideline?
Old May 19, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
I have a booking from the 50% avios sale and with an Amex 2-for-1 voucher. Flights have been cancelled by BA and as travel would have been in about a week i now need to decide what to do.
I understand that i can
(1) get a full refund of all Avios, taxes and the 2-for-1 voucher
(2) get a FTV
(changing the flights to sometime by October isn't an option for us/the destination)

For (1):
- would i still need to pay the 2x£35 cancellation fee or is this waived since the flights were cancelled by BA
- the wiki states that i would need to call for the refund option but then also gives a link to an online form. So can i do this online (even though it might take longer to get the refund)?

For (2):
- if make a booking using the FTV but do not use all the taxes therein, would i then need to make a second booking to use up the remainder or can i get a refund of the leftover?
- if i need to make a second booking does this have to be an Avios booking also?
- can i cancel the FTV for a refund and if so, would i need to pay the 2x£35 cancellation fee?

Last not least, given that the underlying 2-for-1 voucher expires February 2022 and i don't think that we would use it by then (i understand that the outbound has to be before the expiry date of the voucher), i guess overall it would still be the best to go for the FTV?

many thanks
Old May 19, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by a9504477
I have a booking from the 50% avios sale and with an Amex 2-for-1 voucher. Flights have been cancelled by BA and as travel would have been in about a week i now need to decide what to do.
I understand that i can
(1) get a full refund of all Avios, taxes and the 2-for-1 voucher
(2) get a FTV
(changing the flights to sometime by October isn't an option for us/the destination)

For (1):
- would i still need to pay the 2x£35 cancellation fee or is this waived since the flights were cancelled by BA
- the wiki states that i would need to call for the refund option but then also gives a link to an online form. So can i do this online (even though it might take longer to get the refund)?

For (2):
- if make a booking using the FTV but do not use all the taxes therein, would i then need to make a second booking to use up the remainder or can i get a refund of the leftover?
- if i need to make a second booking does this have to be an Avios booking also?
- can i cancel the FTV for a refund and if so, would i need to pay the 2x£35 cancellation fee?

Last not least, given that the underlying 2-for-1 voucher expires February 2022 and i don't think that we would use it by then (i understand that the outbound has to be before the expiry date of the voucher), i guess overall it would still be the best to go for the FTV?

many thanks
1. If BA cancelled the flight, you are entitled to full refund without paying the £35 pp cancellation fee with the 2-4-1 back in your account and the tax component back to your original card. You can rebook the trip for free within 12 months of your original booking even with no availability for redemption seats. BA have been very hard to shift to rebook travel beyond the 12 months of ticket validity but some people have managed to do it. If you get a refund, you will keep your original 2-4-1 validity of Feb 2022 in your case. I found it easier to ring and cancel and so can't advice on the online refund option.

2. If you take an FTV, all your current booking with your voucher and taxes are bundled together. You extend your voucher validity to April 2023 but you need Avios redemption availability and you will need to pay full Avios rather than the 50% you have currently. You can only use this for a redemption booking and the same people have to travel. Only way to get a refund for your FTV is to rebook and then cancel but you pay the cancellation fee of £35pp.
Hope that makes sense.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
is that standard procedure? Is that new? What happened? Should I be worried? Am I on some kind of naughty list? Do I have the right to cancel? ( if yes, how long? Hotline told me I have to decide soon?), do I have a right to change the date according to customer Covid guideline?
If this is a booking that has been altered before then yes, it's not unusual. You should not be worried, it's just a flight. No, you are not on a naughty list, unless you have been naughty. If a flight has been cancelled then you can get a refund at some point in the next six years, so long as you don't accept BA's alternatives first. Buy with confidence still continues. Beware maybe bookings.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If this is a booking that has been altered before then yes, it's not unusual. You should not be worried, it's just a flight. No, you are not on a naughty list, unless you have been naughty. If a flight has been cancelled then you can get a refund at some point in the next six years, so long as you don't accept BA's alternatives first. Buy with confidence still continues. Beware maybe bookings.
the Booking was made online and has never been changed before. I didn’t accept the changes since I got never asked, but mmb doesn’t show the usual page about the changes and my options, I just got rebooked and reissued.
And the mail states that I agreed to the changes in the recent contact. That’s confusing.

Last edited by Nephoi; May 19, 2021 at 7:30 am
Old May 19, 2021, 7:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And the mail states that I agreed to the changes in the recent contact. That’s confusing.
When you call up to cancel (or whatever) then the agents will be able to see that you haven't accepted the changes. I wouldn't worry about it.
LCSinTexas and Nephoi like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by Dselvan
1. If BA cancelled the flight, you are entitled to full refund without paying the £35 pp cancellation fee with the 2-4-1 back in your account and the tax component back to your original card. You can rebook the trip for free within 12 months of your original booking even with no availability for redemption seats. BA have been very hard to shift to rebook travel beyond the 12 months of ticket validity but some people have managed to do it. If you get a refund, you will keep your original 2-4-1 validity of Feb 2022 in your case. I found it easier to ring and cancel and so can't advice on the online refund option.

2. If you take an FTV, all your current booking with your voucher and taxes are bundled together. You extend your voucher validity to April 2023 but you need Avios redemption availability and you will need to pay full Avios rather than the 50% you have currently. You can only use this for a redemption booking and the same people have to travel. Only way to get a refund for your FTV is to rebook and then cancel but you pay the cancellation fee of £35pp.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks.

If i take the FTV and then make a booking but do not use up all the taxes in the FTV, i get another FTV for the remainder. Do i have to use this for another redemption or could i use this towards a cash ticket? Or could i get a refund for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.