Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 11:53 am

Just getting ready to check in for an ex-CDG to ANC flight (via LON, JFK, LAX) and couldn't access the booking as it had cancelled flights auto rebooked that it wouldn't clear. All good, cleared that but now only have 44 minutes to connect at LAX and BA is saying it needs to be a minimum of 1 hour. The only option (as we need to get the LAX-ANC flight departing the evening of 24/5) is them putting us on a direct LHR-LAX flight. The problem, is that because this would essentially be a voluntary change, we'd be losing the 140 TP which we need as we're marginal for renewing Gold this year.

Any thoughts? I've tried via PHL, BOS, MIA etc. and nothing suitable comes up, I've tried changing the route e.g. LHR-JFK-SEA-ANC but it gets in 7 hours later so our car rental pickup may get recorded as a no show etc. and moving the date/time slightly at this late stage I suspect may result in many more $$$.
Old May 22, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you were short on TPs as a result of this, I would expect BA to show mercy on the Gold renewal. The other option would be some AS B2B while out in Alaska? Keep the boarding passes!
Old May 22, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you were short on TPs as a result of this, I would expect BA to show mercy on the Gold renewal. The other option would be some AS B2B while out in Alaska? Keep the boarding passes!
We've got a pretty packed itinerary, so that won't work either. Plus it's still cost that we shouldn't have to make - frustrating. I came up with a plan B, forgo 100TP and do something like LHR-DFW/LAS/SEA/etc.-LAX which almost works, but the XXX-LAX leg is in Y as business seems sold out for that last hop. Running out of ideas other than just having to lose all 140 of those precious TP's.
Old May 22, 2022, 12:25 pm

I'm seeing LHR-SEA (BA) SEA-LAX (AS) with 2x seats in J on ITA Matrix, I wonder if the availability is real as every other short hop (<4 hours) into LAX seems sold out in J/F on the 24th.

Update: They're saying they can't rebook onto AS when they're changing due to a schedule change; I did point out this was due to a flight cancellation not a schedule change but no dice.

Last edited by flashware; May 22, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flashware
I'm seeing LHR-SEA (BA) SEA-LAX (AS) with 2x seats in J on ITA Matrix, I wonder if the availability is real as every other short hop (<4 hours) into LAX seems sold out in J/F on the 24th.

Update: They're saying they can't rebook onto AS when they're changing due to a schedule change; I did point out this was due to a flight cancellation not a schedule change but no dice.
AS isn't Joint Business, so that where that comes from, and I also gathering there are ticketing problems there too, I'm not sure BA can ticket on to AS yet. However under policy, after JBA options comes oneworld options, so in priniciple it is allowed. However given there are JBA options I can see you have a difficult argument there.
Old May 22, 2022, 1:09 pm

AS isn't Joint Business, so that where that comes from, and I also gathering there are ticketing problems there too, I'm not sure BA can ticket on to AS yet. However under policy, after JBA options comes oneworld options, so in priniciple it is allowed. However given there are JBA options I can see you have a difficult argument there.
HUACA worked a treat, now booked to LAX via SEA.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
No, you don't need to create MMB accounts, just use your PNR and Surname (Family name) on sites like RJ, RAM, Qantas, Qatar, Finnair to see more about what Amadeus holds about the booking.
Some time has now passed and the MMB didn't change to TFS.

Now this may sound crazy, after not being able to get hold of BA I went into MMB and changed the flights to the Sunday via Madrid.

It worked and I have chosen my seats on BA and Iberia.

Now I'm not sure if I am going to TFS or ACE......

Going to make the Villa and Car bookings interesting :-)
Old May 25, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by greg5
So, I've got another trip starting in mid-August from ZRH to SEA in J again. Same basic flights as the last time, and of course with the AA legs LHR-SEA-LHR cancelled. I'm trying to figure out my best strategy on this. Flight is ticketed with BA. Should I:
  • Just go and rebook the flights on BA49/48 right now?
  • Wait a bit to see if a UUA to F pops up and then try to get it changed to that day and the F seat?
  • Move things completely away from BA and go with AA with ZRH-PHL-SEA-PHL-ZRH?
  • Move things completely away from BA and go with Swiss ZRH-SFO-SEA-SFO-ZRH?
  • Go for a TP run ZRH-HEL-MAN-LHR-JFK-SEA? (Just kidding, Though the flights AA has put me on provisionally look like this, but I haven't accepted.)
I want to move the return to a slightly later date, which should be fine as I understand it.
So, I figure these days just going and Booking BA49/48 is probably the right thing to do. Tried to call Bremen today, and it just ringed and then hung up. Looks like I'm back to using Twitter to get the rebooking done again.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:25 am

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone had any experience of timescales for BA refunds at the moment? My flight to GOT was cancelled and I got the "we're processing your refund" email on Apr 29th... so it's coming up to a month, and nothing yet. Is that still "normal" or should I be chasing? (Basically I'll need a stiff drink and lots of free time to face their phone system so I don't want to if I don't have to... but I thought refunds were meant to be done within 7 days these days?)
(Edit- this was booked directly on BA.com with a follow-up purchase of an upgrade to CE)
Old May 26, 2022, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by jowlymonster
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone had any experience of timescales for BA refunds at the moment? My flight to GOT was cancelled and I got the "we're processing your refund" email on Apr 29th... so it's coming up to a month, and nothing yet. Is that still "normal" or should I be chasing? (Basically I'll need a stiff drink and lots of free time to face their phone system so I don't want to if I don't have to... but I thought refunds were meant to be done within 7 days these days?)
(Edit- this was booked directly on BA.com with a follow-up purchase of an upgrade to CE)
I think that's longer than normal. You could send a PM with your details to the Refund lurker here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/priv...wpm&u=10076727
jowlymonster likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Hello. Wondering if anyone can offer guidance - friend has has their flight from Bordeaux to LGW on the 7th June cancelled last night with no alternative flight operating that day. If they book an easyJet option and charge BA for it the will BA reimburse and refund on their leg that they cancelled?

From what I understand they’re also entitled to compensation as this cancellation is within 14 days of departure. Thanks for any help - can’t work out what BA’s rules are on reimbursement for this one.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:20 am

Firstly ring BA to ask what options are available on 7 June. I can't believe there are none. For example I can see a Lufthansa option via FRA going to LCY. I can see LHR options, also options on Swiss. If you make that call then you broadly need to accept that outcome. BA won't and can't rebook on to easyJet but you need to give them a chance to rebook on Lufthansa, which is within policy. You may need to spoon feed the flight numbers to the BA agent, their system doesn't always pick up allowed transfers on the Lufthansa group due to a default but incorrect MCT of 2 hours. Now what happens next depends on a lot of factors, and it's best to revert back here otherwise I'll have to write shed loads to go through the options. But the short version is that you can still buy the easyJet flight but there is a risk BA won't pay it. There are circumstances where BA won't have a choice, and will have to pay after the event.

You should get the EC261 cancellation compensation (see main thread) plus a refund of the unused sector if that's just easier.
IslingtonFlyer likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:37 pm
vji

My FTV on April 2 2022 still hasn't been refunded - should I expect one? I am US-based and this booking had no Avios, just cash (but using CHASEBA10 and AARP) and refunded to a Future Travel Voucher (not eVoucher).
Old May 28, 2022, 1:57 pm

A voluntary change on a commercial ticket won't lead to your FTV being refunded. They may do so but I wouldn't assume so.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
LHR - GLA BA1364 Sun 26th June

I have an elderly aunt (92) travelling back home on this flight, and I'm slightly worried that BA plan to cancel it (Like many recent flights LHR-GLA).

It is completely zeroed on ExpFlyer. However the next flight seems 'normal'. Should i be trying to move her onto the latter flight or wait and hope original flight is ok - but if they DO cancel it, the seats on the BA1492 might be gone - and it is really important that she gets home on the sunday night. Thanks for any advice / experience. wj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.