Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I'm considering (again) to book a BSL-LHR flight. I expect they'll cancel it as that's what they tend to do.

Swiss/Lufthansa do sell flights from Basel but they train you to ZRH airport. Would BA, if they cancel the flight, allow a transfer to a journey like that?
No, you could only be rebooked on the BSL-FRA LH service or the BSL-VIE OS service which both are operated by an aircraft.
If you would like to fly from ZRH, the train would be on your own expense.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:04 pm

For some reason, I forgot to think about routes involving an aircraft transfer. BSL-FRA-LHR or something would be fine, albeit slower. Thanks!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by jayisgerman
I have the exact same problem. Was surprised when email came with FTV instead of EVoucher. Called to rebook. I was told that because I had used the 10% discount, I was only eligible for the FTV, not the E-Voucher. Then I was told they can apply the 10% through the phone booking, which was not possible after multiple attempts and then the customer service person quickly changed her tune and basically told me because I would be "double dipping"! What utter nonsense! Then spoke to a manager, who also could not find anywhere in the actual published rules that it has to be a FTV and that they can not apply the discount. He ended up telling me that it is because using a FTV, they actually amend an existing booking (your old canceled one) and discounts can not be applied to existing bookings. It's all rather non-sensical. I have placed an email request to have my FTV converted to E-Voucher. Fingers crossed!
Has anyone experience of cancelling a trip that only had the AARP discount applied (no Chase discount) if so, did you receive a FTV, or or an E-voucher?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by trailingedge
I've got a £230 e voucher but I'd rather have the cash.

Are there any flights likely to be cancelled soon that I can book, with the aim of receiving a cash refund upon BA cancellation?
Tampa, Las Vegas, Denver, San Diego.... Might have to top up but will likely get the chop. Open jaw a couple of cities to increase likelihood
LucyK1806 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA ExP
In need of some help with flights ex CAG (Cagliari, IT) - the options provided by BA are not ideal they keep saying they'll only rebook on IB or BA both of which have very limited service to CAG. I've already had this flight cxld once for July 31 and moved to 1 Aug, they've not cxld that too...

Current Itinerary
1 AUG CAG-LHR-LAX

Options offered
30 JUL CAG-MAD (Overnight at own expense)-LAX
2 AUG CAG-MAD (Overnight at own expense)-MIA-LAX

I asked to be rebooked on the same day via ZRH on LX, then BA from there so i don't have to overnight in MAD, or do lose the accommodation i have booked. However, BA are saying there is no agreement to rebook onto LX/LH/OS - basically take the options provided or refund. Anyone had any luck getting tickets re-issued on LX lately? I leave the US Friday - at this late stage the tickets are so expensive to rebook with another airline so that's not an option either.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Tampa, Las Vegas, Denver, San Diego.... Might have to top up but will likely get the chop. Open jaw a couple of cities to increase likelihood
Add Nashville and New Orleans to this list as well.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I'm just waiting for them to put out their winter schedule. It's getting a little late for that.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Originally Posted by jmAAn
In need of some help with flights ex CAG (Cagliari, IT) - the options provided by BA are not ideal they keep saying they'll only rebook on IB or BA both of which have very limited service to CAG. I've already had this flight cxld once for July 31 and moved to 1 Aug, they've not cxld that too...

Current Itinerary
1 AUG CAG-LHR-LAX

Options offered

I asked to be rebooked on the same day via ZRH on LX, then BA from there so i don't have to overnight in MAD, or do lose the accommodation i have booked. However, BA are saying there is no agreement to rebook onto LX/LH/OS - basically take the options provided or refund. Anyone had any luck getting tickets re-issued on LX lately? I leave the US Friday - at this late stage the tickets are so expensive to rebook with another airline so that's not an option either.
It's frustrating, isn't it? I went through a similar process of three different cancellations for a just-completed trip to Croatia. I learned that BA will let you depart from a different city if <300 miles away. Rome (FCO) works. (A number of other airports are within that circle from CAG as well, but you can't get there early enough on 01 Aug to connect to LAX same day.) So if it's important to remain in CAG until the morning of 01 Aug, you can purchase a $69 ticket on Alitalia to Rome dep. 7:35 arr. 8:40, or for $87 dep 8:55 arr 10:00, or dep 10:05 arr 11:00. Any of these would allow you to connect to BA0549 at 12:55 to LHR and onward on BA0269 to LAX, arr. 19:10. If you are tired of the cancellations from BA, you can take your chances with AA and ask to be put on AA269 FCO-DFW and connecting on to LAX. (No business class left on that itinerary for 01 Aug - not sure what cabin you're in with your current ticket, but assuming you don't want to downgrade).

If you are willing to leave CAG 31 July, Naples is also an option, but the Rome flights seem more likely to persist in the schedule. Good luck!

ETA: Your lodging may also be willing to work with you on this if you decide to leave a day earlier or later. And note also the cancellation on the return allows you to change your outbound as well. I moved my trip out a few days.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmAAn

Current Itinerary
1 AUG CAG-LHR-LAX

Options offered

If your ticket was originally issued before 22 June 2021, the LH/LX/OS rebooking agreement is still in place.
Hang up, call again and speak with a different agent.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Has anyone seen applied for a refund due to a flight cancellation recently? I applied on the 3rd of July and haven't received anything and was wondering if that's normal.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Has anyone seen applied for a refund due to a flight cancellation recently? I applied on the 3rd of July and haven't received anything and was wondering if that's normal.
Cancelled on 2nd July, money refunded over the last weekend, no email received confirming refund. Check your statement as it might have been refunded without you knowing.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
usually they come within 8 days - they still shown as active in mmb, i once even got mails/texts from Finnair cause of a codeshare flight. AY exspects HEL airport to be kinda busy, if anyone wants to know.... but i always got my money. even faster than from AA. and they set the bar very high
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What routing are you thinking? Just any flight between those cities, or any flight to or from one of those cities?
I'm in the UK so was thinking more of a European flight from London but can try a US domestic flight as well.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Cancelled on 2nd July, money refunded over the last weekend, no email received confirming refund. Check your statement as it might have been refunded without you knowing.
Originally Posted by Nephoi
usually they come within 8 days - they still shown as active in mmb, i once even got mails/texts from Finnair cause of a codeshare flight. AY exspects HEL airport to be kinda busy, if anyone wants to know.... but i always got my money. even faster than from AA. and they set the bar very high
Thanks folks, nothing in yet.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Can you FTV the inbound part of a companion voucher booking before and/or after the outbound has been flown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.