Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by twanny76
Hi would appreciate any help with this one.
In Aug we booked cheap cash flights to Ibiza with BA for the end of May bank holiday. Flights have now been cancelled. As it is Ibiza the season is very short so we would like to move the flights to the bank holiday in 2022 - which next year is 2 June. Will this be possible to do as the flights for those dates won't be available before our May booking this year.
Can I change the flights after the original departure?
you will have a problem doing this as you can only rebook new dates up to ticket validity which is one year from when you made the booking.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by efincomputer
IHowever, the big question is whether BA will let me when the new flight combination (same dates) would have at least one of the flights booking into "D", rather than "I" Class as originally booked. Should this matter, or are BA still obligated to accommodate that change, regardless of the class change (given it's not a cabin change)?
That should be OK, in itself they can rebook into the lowest available bucket, whether D or even J. So find your preferred alternative and give BA a ring. The reason why it may not be allowed could relate to other factors e.g. what your original itinerary was and details aroud that.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
for a time change (i.e. not a cancellation) you should be able to move on to other flights on the route regardless of selling class availability as long as it is within -2/+2 days.
Thanks KARFA. The challenge is that the new times don't work on the existing route, unless I push the trip out another few months, which I do NOT want to do if i can avoid it), so i'm looking to keep the same date of travel, but change the destination (one that will work for me, and for which there are suitable timed flights in the schedule) within the "300 mile" rule. I'm sure it may be another HUACA if i dont get anywhere with the call center, but wanted to check i wasn't going in asking for something that was doomed to failure. Will give it a go and let you all know how i get on.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:40 am

Hi All - I have had a BA flight cancel and was auto-rebooked to one the day before. That does not work for me and I just get an error online when I click anything in MMB. Called BA to swap to an Iberia flight that works just fine but was told that Iberia are on a 'red list' and they cannot be used for rebooking. Any truth to this or shall I just call back later on?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ba bob
Hi All - I have had a BA flight cancel and was auto-rebooked to one the day before. That does not work for me and I just get an error online when I click anything in MMB. Called BA to swap to an Iberia flight that works just fine but was told that Iberia are on a 'red list' and they cannot be used for rebooking. Any truth to this or shall I just call back later on?
Is the route you would fly a BA codeshare, if so I don't see any reason why the agent didn't rebooked you on an IB flight the same date you were supposed to fly.
I am not sure if there is a new guideline prohibiting rebooking to IB marketed IB operated flights.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by efincomputer
Thanks KARFA. The challenge is that the new times don't work on the existing route, unless I push the trip out another few months, which I do NOT want to do if i can avoid it), so i'm looking to keep the same date of travel, but change the destination (one that will work for me, and for which there are suitable timed flights in the schedule) within the "300 mile" rule. I'm sure it may be another HUACA if i dont get anywhere with the call center, but wanted to check i wasn't going in asking for something that was doomed to failure. Will give it a go and let you all know how i get on.
I think you may struggle with that. The 300 mile rule applies for cancellations, not time changes.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Is the route you would fly a BA codeshare, if so I don't see any reason why the agent didn't rebooked you on an IB flight the same date you were supposed to fly.
I am not sure if there is a new guideline prohibiting rebooking to IB marketed IB operated flights.
No idea if a codeshare, if I plug the dates into ba.com I don't get the option. The MAD-LHR portion is a BA code share however.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:58 am

Rebooking on to IB on the MAD route should be readily available, it is under standard guidelines - tbh I have no idea what the red list is the agent referred to. I think call again may be the best approach.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:58 am

I booked a 1st redemption to Nashville on 6th October with the 50% offer
BA stopped 1st to Nashville and it was downgraded . They then cancelled one of the downgraded flights and so I was allowed to rebook via Dallas

I now want change the date (unless we think travel to the USA is likely by the end of May) but obviously can't as there is no 1st class redemptions to Nashville. The Dallas flight is unlikely to be cancelled as they have flown throughout. I am happy just to go to Dallas- lots of single person 1st class redemptions but I assume that wouldn't be allowed as 600 odd miles away. There is a Manchester connection which may get cancelled but due to the timing likely to be less than 4 hours difference.

Any thoughts as to any possible options?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No idea if a codeshare, if I plug the dates into ba.com I don't get the option. The MAD-LHR portion is a BA code share however.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Rebooking on to IB on the MAD route should be readily available, it is under standard guidelines - tbh I have no idea what the red list is the agent referred to. I think call again may be the best approach.
The one thing it could be is (a) if the other portions of the travel are on the Red List or (b) the agent was confused about the restrictions in Spain. These were changed recently, and didn't inhibit transfer passengers anyway, but did and continue to inhibit travel from UK to Spain. But without the details it's a bit difficult to comment really.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If not private, could you please share your final destination?

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
BA stopped 1st to Nashville and it was downgraded . They then cancelled one of the downgraded flights and so I was allowed to rebook via Dallas

I now want change the date (unless we think travel to the USA is likely by the end of May) but obviously can't as there is no 1st class redemptions to Nashville. The Dallas flight is unlikely to be cancelled as they have flown throughout. I am happy just to go to Dallas- lots of single person 1st class redemptions but I assume that wouldn't be allowed as 600 odd miles away. There is a Manchester connection which may get cancelled but due to the timing likely to be less than 4 hours difference.

Any thoughts as to any possible options?
There were reports that for the 50% Avios offer you would need to fly until 30 June 2021.
As nothing is yet, precise regarding border restrictions for May and June and if you're OK to travel if you don't have any barrier, I would wait at this point and decide on something at a later stage. You don't need to take action at this time, you could decide on precise dates whenever you would like to and you could get a refund whenever you would like as you don't touch your ticket at this point.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:15 am

This is the problem in being too swift with rebooking maybe bookings. If the flight is going to operate then you can only have an FTV, or rebook for the fare difference. If this is for May then further cancellations would be possible, and if you currently hold a DFW-BNA service in the PNR then AA is a good 'un for cancelling services, so you may be able to have another bite of the apple. But you're running out of bandwidth here, since the ticket expires in October. You can have a refund if there is a cancellation, or pay the £35 redeposit fee, so you aren't losing anything here.
Barnaby100 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:17 am

Thanks, I had 4 flights booked at the 50% and have moved 2 past the 30th June so far although 1 was initially refused. I have the 4th one that I also need to call about- the connecting fight is cancelled but they haven't contacted me and I am holding out on the timing for the chance.

Nashville is different as they no longer fly there in 1st
If I moved to a later date in club would there be any refund of miles?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:20 am

If I moved to a later date in club would there be any refund of miles?
Yes, you would get the relevant portion refunded, if BA / AA cancelled and you were rebooked in Club. But don't be too hasty, unless you are 101% certain of flying on a particular date, think it through first, flights are not exactly filling up at the moment.
Barnaby100 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is the problem in being too swift with rebooking maybe bookings. If the flight is going to operate then you can only have an FTV, or rebook for the fare difference. If this is for May then further cancellations would be possible, and if you currently hold a DFW-BNA service in the PNR then AA is a good 'un for cancelling services, so you may be able to have another bite of the apple. But you're running out of bandwidth here, since the ticket expires in October. You can have a refund if there is a cancellation, or pay the £35 redeposit fee, so you aren't losing anything here.
The MAN return connection has been cancelled and the new flight differs by 3.5 hours but they haven't notified me yet. The MAN outbound connection has been cancelled and I have been booked later and have been notified but haven't accepted anything.

I should have held out but at the time in December (I think) May seemed like a decent option. AA have so far moved the flight by 5 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.