Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Originally Posted by PlowJockey
It's frustrating, isn't it? I went through a similar process of three different cancellations for a just-completed trip to Croatia. I learned that BA will let you depart from a different city if <300 miles away. Rome (FCO) works. (A number of other airports are within that circle from CAG as well, but you can't get there early enough on 01 Aug to connect to LAX same day.) So if it's important to remain in CAG until the morning of 01 Aug, you can purchase a $69 ticket on Alitalia to Rome dep. 7:35 arr. 8:40, or for $87 dep 8:55 arr 10:00, or dep 10:05 arr 11:00. Any of these would allow you to connect to BA0549 at 12:55 to LHR and onward on BA0269 to LAX, arr. 19:10. If you are tired of the cancellations from BA, you can take your chances with AA and ask to be put on AA269 FCO-DFW and connecting on to LAX. (No business class left on that itinerary for 01 Aug - not sure what cabin you're in with your current ticket, but assuming you don't want to downgrade).

If you are willing to leave CAG 31 July, Naples is also an option, but the Rome flights seem more likely to persist in the schedule. Good luck!

ETA: Your lodging may also be willing to work with you on this if you decide to leave a day earlier or later. And note also the cancellation on the return allows you to change your outbound as well. I moved my trip out a few days.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If your ticket was originally issued before 22 June 2021, the LH/LX/OS rebooking agreement is still in place.
Hang up, call again and speak with a different agent.
Well, sure, if you want to take the easy way out and get exactly what you wanted. :-D
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Well, got my answer on BA rebooking Aug 15 flight JFK-LHR-JNB-LUN. Answer is they will not rtebook on another carrier but will refund the ticket. So I could purchase J ticket on UA nonstop EWR-JNB and slightly cheaper. According to some friends working in the industry, BA could have rebooked had they so chosen, but this is a good way to maintain my UA status.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If your ticket was originally issued before 22 June 2021, the LH/LX/OS rebooking agreement is still in place.
Hang up, call again and speak with a different agent.
My cancelled YVR flight was booked in July but I just got them to change me to a LH flight instead on Facebook messenger without much kickback.

They originally wanted to route me to YYZ and then on an Air Canada domestic connection (and on Twitter that's all they would offer - I assume they're the same team as Facebook though and I just got lucky with the right agent?), but when I suggested LH and raised my concerns about the impact a domestic connection has on the quarantine rules they immediately booked it for me.
LE2 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
So I DM’d BA on Twitter first thing this morning. Got no reply 8hrs later so rang the gold line. After being put on hold, Twitter team suddenly replied to say they could rebook me to EI on the DUB-LHR. Before I’d gotten to reply to them, the agent on the gold line came back with “computer says no”. Explained the reply on Twitter, another hold.

Gold agent comes back saying they can’t rebook onto the EI flight on the BA codeshare so it’d have to be booked under the EI number and reprice it with an extra €154 in taxes!! Explained the Twitter team we’re willing to rebook & why was this? “Dunno, that’s just what I was told”

The cancellations are frustrating enough but the lack of clarity & lack of knowledge amongst different staff is even more so. I get it’s a constantly changing situation but surely policy is policy & not dependent on who you speak to
Originally Posted by reddishvelvet
They will rebook you on EI if your BA flight is cancelled. I did this many, many times last year when BA kept cancelling their DUB to LHR flights. You may just have to point out to the booking person that there are no BA flights available at that time.
Just as a late update on this, as of 8 July there was a new update for DUB & BHD which states for those with cancelled BA flights they can be rebooked on EI under the BA codeshare. This does include reward bookings. This now covers ticket travel dates up to the end of July.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:58 pm

Confused on FTV

On the very first post it says...

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

I can't understand what value there would be to a FTV in this case. Am I missing something such as the FTV not needing Award availability?
If I do a rebooking, does there have to be award seats open?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by SteveinA2

I can't understand what value there would be to a FTV in this case. Am I missing something such as the FTV not needing Award availability?

Thanks
The only reason I would use a FTV is if I had a Chase 2-4-1 companion certificate that would expire. I'm told that certificate would be extended to April 2023, which would be a huge benefit to me.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by SteveinA2

Thanks
At least one benefit of an FTV over a refund would be to preserve a companion voucher that would otherwise expire.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The only reason I would use a FTV is if I had a Chase 2-4-1 companion certificate that would expire. I'm told that certificate would be extended to April 2023, which would be a huge benefit to me.
Other than that, intelligence test?

rb211.
SteveinA2 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
I called yesterday and booked a LHR-ORD flight+car yesterday for September, using an FTV for the same route which we cancelled (I think? it was so long ago) last year. However, looking at MMB, the price of the holiday is still the full price and the FTV does not appear to have been applied. We also had upgraded our seats on the first ticket but there are no available CW seats to upgrade at this time and those Avios have not been returned either.

Is there a clearing time for these sorts of transactions or is this an instance where I need to call back?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: BA EC
Hello all, I have an avios redemption for CX HKG-TPE for August. Both flights cancelled now.
Calling BA Hong Kong hotline for many times but unable to reach a representative.
Any method I can cancel the ticket online and get refund instead of FTV/e voucher? Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley
Is there a clearing time for these sorts of transactions or is this an instance where I need to call back?
From a ticketing point of view this is complex, so I would it to take a while before BAH sort out the multiple components here. I'd leave it a few weeks unless there is some pressing reason to call (e.g. you are flying next week).
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by neofung
Hello all, I have an avios redemption for CX HKG-TPE for August. Both flights cancelled now.
Calling BA Hong Kong hotline for many times but unable to reach a representative.
Any method I can cancel the ticket online and get refund instead of FTV/e voucher? Thanks
I think there is an online screen that comes up for BA revenue bookings, but for a CX redemption booking you do need to talk to someone in BA. Just keep trying, maybe at different times and on the UK number. I gather Saturday mornings UK time can be quite quiet, for example.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Yesterday I phoned BA to use a FTV credit which was to be applied to a new booking. According to our conversation, the agent found the flights I wanted, satisfactorily applied the FTV, and charged the remaining balance to my BA Visa. He gave me the PNR and told me it may take "up to seven days" to ticket the flights. Is this correct?

Now a day later the PNR shows in my BA app but if I attempt to access the record it says the ticket can't be found when using Manage my Booking. I have no email confirmation of any type from BA (yet). I also note my Visa has not yet been charged (even as a pending transaction) the fare difference. Should I be concerned or have others experienced this multi-day process to ticket flights when a FTV has been applied?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
Yesterday I phoned BA to use a FTV credit which was to be applied to a new booking. According to our conversation, the agent found the flights I wanted, satisfactorily applied the FTV, and charged the remaining balance to my BA Visa. He gave me the PNR and told me it may take "up to seven days" to ticket the flights. Is this correct?

Now a day later the PNR shows in my BA app but if I attempt to access the record it says the ticket can't be found when using Manage my Booking. I have no email confirmation of any type from BA (yet). I also note my Visa has not yet been charged (even as a pending transaction) the fare difference. Should I be concerned or have others experienced this multi-day process to ticket flights when a FTV has been applied?
No concern, it will take a few days to ticket. If by the end of 7 days it hasn't I would suggest calling since the CVV number drops out of the payment which prevents them charging your card for the extra which is due. I assume the new flights are also some time away?
geo1005 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
No concern, it will take a few days to ticket. If by the end of 7 days it hasn't I would suggest calling since the CVV number drops out of the payment which prevents them charging your card for the extra which is due. I assume the new flights are also some time away?
Thank you KARFA. Yes, the new booking is for October so not imminent. I appreciate your (ongoing) help in these matters.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.