Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Oz - what's the likelihood?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I'm an Aust citizen, but not a resident any longer. Does this have a bearing?
you can still return, they will never close the country to citizens. Leaving is also not too difficult as a non resident, though I recommend applying for your leave exemption at least 3 weeks before you need / plan to leave.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm an Aust citizen, but not a resident any longer. Does this have a bearing?
None at all. Nowadays 100's of Aussies who been non resident for years have been returning.
As above suggest you apply for permit to leave. My Travel Restriction Exemption to leave AU was granted on the same day as application (~2 weeks before the flight)

Personally know 1 person, not normally resident in AU, who was refused at check in a 15~30 second conversation between airline check-in agent and Australian Border Force. He then applied on-line and was able to leave a week later.

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I suspect this year it’s going to be late November or early December - not late December. Typically expats try to reach home in time to spend Christmas back in Australia with family. This year that means reaching Australia by 10 December at the latest. I expect many will give up on this year though.
A number of these Aussies will not know the extent of the problem getting into AU. But as above (post 4) airlines are not selling many tickets before 18 Dec. The one way NZ--AU travel bubble may free up an extra 325 per week (from a ScoMo comment). But that would not include non NZ pax on Air NZ international USA and other services.

Many posts in this thread off topic being on general AU Covid-19 travel polices. All info in AU Gov web site https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
OP stated was AU passport holder; that's all the information needed for this thread.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 13, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Unless there is a pressing need to visit Australia, and you are flexible with dealing with a potentially getting stuck there for some time, I would give it a miss.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Unless there is a pressing need to visit Australia, and you are flexible with dealing with a potentially getting stuck there for some time, I would give it a miss.
Getting stuck there is not a problem for non-residents, there's plenty of seats out, unless there's issues at the final destination after leaving Australia. The problem is being flexible enough to reach Australia in the first place!

At the moment BA inventory is not anticipating the limits on arrivals continuing, but I would not rely on BA to get you there, comparing to other carriers which are closer to the market. I noticed there is availability on SYD-SIN on BA from the 16th Dec onwards. BA is offering, for example on the 16th Dec: F5 A0 J2 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9. By contrast SQ have reduced their flights to single daily (with a second some days continuing to BNE) and on same day (16th) is offering: Z8 C0 J0 U0 D0 Y0 B0 E0 M0 H0 W0 Q0 N0 V0 G0 K0. And QR DOH-SYD is just J0 Y0. I suspect the latter two are more likely to be an accurate.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The load out of Australia is woeful because of the restrictions on leaving the country, and load into Australia is woeful because of the strict cap. I really feel sorry for airlines and I do not blame them for prioritising higher revenue passengers. So, if you want certainly, book the most expensive fare you can possibly book. (Saying that, unless the trip is really essential, I'd feel bad about taking a seat off the people who have been waiting for a very long time to get back or those who are desperate to go there for compassionate reasons.)

As for BA, unless they get a cargo contract into Australia that is sufficient to operate the flight with almost no passenger, I am guessing it would be very unlikely for them to be operating to SYD any time before the cap on arrivals into Australia is raised substantially (I'm talking being raised at least 5-fold) so that they can operate viably.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I am surprised any airline is operating given the loads requirement. Cost per mile to oz has always been low so add in reduced pax even in premium surprised it is worth their while. Cargo I suppose ?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I am surprised any airline is operating given the loads requirement. Cost per mile to oz has always been low so add in reduced pax even in premium surprised it is worth their while. Cargo I suppose ?
Surelly that is dependant upon starting point - QR operates non stop services to Australua and they are , I suspect, basically full with business class passemgers paying high fares as well as having plenty of cargo capacity

The situation for an airline in Asia is different to those in Europe
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Surelly that is dependant upon starting point - QR operates non stop services to Australua and they are , I suspect, basically full with business class passemgers paying high fares as well as having plenty of cargo capacity
For some routes, several carriers including some of BA's OW partners (QR, CX & MH) are operating some routes into Australia (i.e XXX-MEL) with no passengers - no business class, no economy, no anything. Presumably the cargo (inbound/outbound) and outbound passenger traffic means these services at least cover their variable costs.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AussieInLondon
you can still return, they will never close the country to citizens. Leaving is also not too difficult as a non resident, though I recommend applying for your leave exemption at least 3 weeks before you need / plan to leave.
My understanding from the website highlighted earlier is that non-residents have no issues leaving and need no permission. Apparently border control can check your movements quite quickly to prove you haven't lived in Oz for a length of time. Also, I travel with both Aust and UK passports.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:40 am

My understanding from the website highlighted earlier is that non-residents have no issues leaving and need no permission. Apparently border control can check your movements quite quickly to prove you haven't lived in Oz for a length of time. Also, I travel with both Aust and UK passports.
Regardless, you wouldn't be able to enter or leave Australia on the British Passport

Yes - Immigration can see dates and times of all entries and exits of the country
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:47 am

In some ways the flights could be reasonably viable for BA since they are flying an almost empty 777 to Singapore anyway. ~50 full fare seats inbound, whoever they can lift outbound to Singapore or London + any cargo. Not like the fleet is stretched elsewhere

Changi has a procedure in place now to allow transit through the terminal
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sammyg901
In some ways the flights could be reasonably viable for BA since they are flying an almost empty 777 to Singapore anyway. ~50 full fare seats inbound, whoever they can lift outbound to Singapore or London + any cargo. Not like the fleet is stretched elsewhere

Changi has a procedure in place now to allow transit through the terminal
You're assuming BA would be allocated 50 seats out of the cap on arrivals. I doubt they would get that much given the number of airlines still flying to Australia. Absent a lift in the cap, any seat BA is allowed to sell is one less that another airline is no longer allowed to sell.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Regardless, you wouldn't be able to enter or leave Australia on the British Passport

Yes - Immigration can see dates and times of all entries and exits of the country
I know - my point is, there is ample proof that I am not a resident of Australia anymore both with the records held by Border Force and the fact that I left UK on my UK passport (after showing my Oz passport at checkin to satisfy entry requirements). So I wouldn't (or won't) need to get permission to leave as I am not bound by that rule, thankfully.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
This is correct. Non-residents have no issues leaving and need no permission. It is exactly the situation I'm in, and I also travel with both my Australian and Irish Passports.

For those that may not be dual citizens, you have to enter and leave Australia on your Australian Passport as a rule if you have one. I once tried to enter on my Irish one and they asked me for my Australian one, so they are well aware of people who are dual citizens. I also bring my Irish Passport so I can breeze into the EU and use that at the other end. You basically have to carry both at all times.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:49 pm

As long as you are happy staying in quarantine for min 14 days on arriva and paying $3000 for it, then as an Australian passport holder, no issue

Does seem an odd time to want to visit given those restrictions, but as long as able to get on a flight , go for it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.