Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Oz - what's the likelihood?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jon Baker
..... potentially getting worse with the increase of repatriation flights).

I'd do everything in my power to avoid ending up in quarantine (i.e. avoid travelling) unless absolutely essential.
There has not been a major increase of repatriation flights or pax on commercial flights. The number of hotels rooms/people entering AU has been constant for some weeks/months. A small increase (~500 per week) a month or so ago with a matching increase in managed hotel rooms. The AU states manage and control the 14 day hotel quarantine.

AU Prime Minister (ScoMo) announced yesterday would be extra pax going into a managed facility near Darwin for new dedicated flights
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AU Prime Minister (ScoMo) announced yesterday would be extra pax going into a managed facility near Darwin for new dedicated flights
Each to their own but this was my very basis for suggesting the state of quarantine is about to get worse.

This is two weeks locked in a perfunctory box somewhere - not a luxury hotel stay. Anyone suggesting that just because a client will pay makes it any more acceptable is probably kidding themselves.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF WP
Each to their own but this was my very basis for suggesting the state of quarantine is about to get worse.

This is two weeks locked in a perfunctory box somewhere - not a luxury hotel stay. Anyone suggesting that just because a client will pay makes it any more acceptable is probably kidding themselves.
Friends have been through both systems (in Australia) and have universally preferred Howard Springs

(Addit: they also universally whinged when they heard the concept of Howard springs “quarantine camp”. Branding obvs needs some work)
Mwenenzi and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by nancypants; Oct 17, 2020 at 2:10 am
Old Oct 17, 2020, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If someone wants to come to a country that has put a real effort into trying to contain the virus then not unreasonable that they accept the quarantine or get someone locally to do the work or work remotely
bensyd, PAL62V and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If someone wants to come to a country that has put a real effort into trying to contain the virus then not unreasonable that they accept the quarantine or get someone locally to do the work or work remotely
​​​​​​
I wasn't passing any judgement on Australia's rights to have and enforce quarantine.

​​​I'm just trying to highlight that even if you have a passport permitting travel and a client willing to pay for both flights and quarantine, it is no means like normal travel and that quarantine is far removed from what most travellers here would recognise as a hotel stay.

You'll be shut in a basic Novatel(esque) room (or quarantine centre in the Northern Territory) with very basic meals provided and little or no ability to excercise or get fresh air.

Bit as I also said, each to their own.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: QF WP
Recognising that we’re veering off topic, I’ll attach a few photos from one of my staff’s recent stay in Howard springs

(*mods- perhaps this will end up being shifted to its own thread? In the covid forum? Not sure)

Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

​​​​​​
I wasn't passing any judgement on Australia's rights to have and enforce quarantine.

​​​I'm just trying to highlight that even if you have a passport permitting travel and a client willing to pay for both flights and quarantine, it is no means like normal travel and that quarantine is far removed from what most travellers here would recognise as a hotel stay.

You'll be shut in a basic Novatel(esque) room (or quarantine centre in the Northern Territory) with very basic meals provided and little or no ability to excercise or get fresh air.

Bit as I also said, each to their own.
You stated "Anyone suggesting that just because a client will pay makes it any more acceptable is probably kidding themselves"

No one is forced to come to Australia - if quarantine isn't acceptable, then don't come

If the meals are too basic for you, then order take away
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:43 pm

You stated "Anyone suggesting that just because a client will pay makes it any more acceptable is probably kidding themselves"

No one is forced to come to Australia - if quarantine isn't acceptable, then don't come

​​​​​​With retrospect, perhaps tolerable would have been a better choice of word?

Just trying to provide the OP with [potentially] relevant travel advice - not geo-political opinion.
morges1 likes this.

Last edited by Jon Baker; Oct 19, 2020 at 6:12 am
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Ok. Just to clear things up a bit (not that I should have to),
1 the work cannot be done remotely
2 I am aware of the pitfalls of 14 data in a room but the annual work and the resultant fee make it worthwhile
3 the rooms vary from standard hotel to five star. It’s a complete lottery and I have that as fact.

My thanks for the very useful info offered here regarding my original question. I’d rather travel over there normally but hey, what’s normal any more??
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Of course, we do not know that. The OP is clear that this is due to work, and unless one knows him/her personally and thus have more information than me, we do not know what the job entails, what the company policy or message is, what is the legal regime applying in case the OP disagrees with a mission where he/she is asked to travel to Australia as part of their work, etc.

So in some cases, it might be that you are not forced... because you could accept to lose your job or let your company go brankrupt instead, in which case, quite frankly, quarantine might feel like a worthwhile price to pay in comparison.

There are certainly cases I know of whereby people are definitely being obliged by employers to engage in trips which they would prefer to avoid at the moment, and they are perhaps not even as rare as one might think.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite

I think you’re being a little defensive here. The question posed and the comments are all perfectly reasonable, just as Australia’s virus suppression tactics are (the overall strategy of making itself a hostage to a vaccine is for another time and place).

People come on this forum to debate and discuss. They don’t need bloody minded comments trying to shut them down to no purpose.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants
Recognising that we’re veering off topic, I’ll attach a few photos from one of my staff’s recent stay in Howard springs

(*mods- perhaps this will end up being shifted to its own thread? In the covid forum? Not sure)

*photos cut*
Tbh I would rather have something like this than be stuck in a hotel room.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Tbh I would rather have something like this than be stuck in a hotel room.
I've got to say, I can see certain advantages - like fresh air for starters. I'm apparently going to be in SYD where at least some of the hotels being used are 5 star. I guess if you're going to be stuck in a room, it may as well be a nice one.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 2:35 pm

Does anyone have any further information on the likelihood of BA flying this route at all? They are still selling tickets to SYD from 16 December.

While it is impossible to tell definitively as it will depend on the flight caps at that time, have BA officially announced anything?
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levelnine
Does anyone have any further information on the likelihood of BA flying this route at all? They are still selling tickets to SYD from 16 December.

While it is impossible to tell definitively as it will depend on the flight caps at that time, have BA officially announced anything?
IMHO extremely unlikely. If they do fly will have few passengers as almost 100% certain AU will continue to restrict incoming and out going passengers.
Various AU Federal Government ministers has stated not expecting any international travel until mid 2021 or later. Other than a few regulated "bubbles" between AU and other countries with a very low Covid-19 risk. The NZ-AU (one way) quarantine free bubble has been going a few days, and has issues according to some state premiers, but not with federal ministers.

The 16 Dec date is probably based on when the current restrictions end. The legislation has time limits that regulations can apply. They keep extending or making a new proclamation when one ends

Post 5
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QR get the most publicity/noise on cancelled tickets. Probably also selling the most seats into AU
The current AU government regulations end 17 Dec. Based on that QR seem to selling more tickets.
Is 99.9999% certain the regulations will be extended. In the past when the date has been extended QR seem to have more seat cancellations. But is hard to determine

In late December (AU summer) will be 1000's of AU ex pats trying to get home. Most will fail.

3 Sept 2020 (gov.au) ---> Human Biosecurity Emergency Period Extended By Three Months
<snip>
The Australian Government will extend the human biosecurity emergency period under the Biosecurity Act 2015 by an additional three months.

The emergency period, which has been in place since 18 March 2020, will now be in place until 17 December 2020.
<snip>
x229cle likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 19, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.