Wiki Posts
Search

How I would transform BA short-haul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Okay, let me try to do some Marketing 101.

Marketing 101 tells you to create multiple brands to capture a higher market share in markets in which consumers have different tastes. Mars sells Snickers to people who like peanuts and Mars or Twix to people who don't.
Please let us know when you plan to launch Condescension 101
alex67500 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
No, I found it very interesting. In the delicate world of not going too far off topic one can learn a lot of new things here.

I think the explanation of why BA didn't keep the BMI brand alive it's quite plausible, although at the time I was sure they would keep the brands separate, for a while at least. Remember, BMI adopted a low cost model towards the end of its life, with BoB like BA (not to mention Air Berlin).
I would like to see BA return with a much better in flight product than previously, in economy anyway.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Concerto
I would like to see BA return with a much better in flight product than previously, in economy anyway.
Me too.

Some fascinating discussions taking place here, thanks for all your input.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
It's four AOCs though.
And? Duopolies are about economic control. Doesn't matter if its 100 AOC's, as long as two parents companies are owning them and deciding commercial strategy its a 2 player race.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by JAXBA
But the suggestion was to use the BA brand (i.e BA Express), which would use the existing BA serviced website, call centre, etc., but a pared back inflight service closer to Vueling/LEVEL. Some BA soft benefits on the ground, a more basic experience inflight.
They could look at the Air Canada model. AC is split into 3 "airlines" if you will. There is mainline Air Canada, for the leisure routes and tourist market there is Air Canada Rouge. Rouge a dedicated subfleet, with different contracts and staff than mainline, but still uses the AC IT to sell tickets for example. It's effectively a LCC within AC. It offers economy and "Premium Rouge" on longer routes, which is basically WTP. Long routes are generally Canada to European secondary cities not served by Mainline. So places like DUB, EDI, BUD and NCE that can't support a mainline plane.

Finally, for the regional routes there is AC Express (Jazz). Jazz is actually a completely separate company that supplies services to AC under contract, so the staff are also on their own terms. However, it still says Air Canada on the plane and it uses the same website to sell tickets. This is a fleet of smaller planes that serve small cities/towns and generally connect those small cities to a mainline hub city (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto etc). Depending on the plane and route you will find both business class and economy cabins, except for the small turbo props that are economy only.

Regarding the better seating in CE, AC's model is similar to the US 3, in that there is a larger recliner seat. However, unlike the US 3, upgrades are more BA-like. I.e. not common at all. On major business routes like YYC-YYZ they do sell it with a large amount of O&D traffic at ticket prices typically 4-5X an economy seat. The J cabin on domestic routes is also like, CE n that is supports those who fly at the front for a TATL or TAPC and connect on to Canada or the USA on the domestic network.

In recent years AC has grown their USA-Asia and USA-Europe traffic substantially, and a better domestic J is needed to compete with the US 3 for the North American portion of the flight before going over an ocean. In many ways, I think this is what BA is competing against. I have no idea if BA was gaining or losing ground to AC for TATL travellers, it would be interesting to find out.

What might make sense is BA's short haul network being turned over to Cityflyer and operated on behalf of BA with connectivity like AC/Jazz for the connecting long haul passengers. BA could run their main TATL business and if they wished set up a LCC carrier at LGW for the leisure routes that change seasonally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.