Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I believe this only works if the taxes and charges are exactly the same. This means that - unless you booked for post-April - moving it beyond 30th June may not work because APD increases in April and would lead to higher taxes.

Heathrow also varies its charges at different times of the year, so moving into a different band may trigger a reprice of taxes (could be downwards ironically) and so a reprice of Avios too.
I haven't actually changed it but my SIN-LHR (early April) is offering to change to another date (peak or off peak) and get a small cash refund - no mention of Avios. However the actual underlying tax & YQ I guess is the same, just a currency movement. So this may not be a conclusive test. But I'll be very pleased if this does work nearer the time as the exact date I need the ticket is not confirmed yet and I'll have some degree of flexibility to find an open seat (and I only need one seat which always helps)
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Finally gave in at about 9pm last night, LHR-YVR in late May, 62,500 Avios in J using a 241.

Had we booked sooner First was available on the outbound but given it's currently scheduled A380 both ways there are more than likely going to be some changes whatever happens.

I'm in no doubt we'll see future offers like this, but with another 241 shortly on the way thought I may as well try for somewhere we actually want to go.
jonkx likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Got three emails from BA today, trying to get me to book flights! I'm guessing there is still not much interest with all the uncertainty
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Above
Got three emails from BA today, trying to get me to book flights! I'm guessing there is still not much interest with all the uncertainty
I've gotten several emails trying to entice me with sale fares to Europe for 2021. The optimism is strong in BA, or more likely the desperation to get our cash. It doesn't look pretty with the spike in COVID all over the world.
af fp likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:12 pm

Sighs... waiting for the F availability.... was expecting it today now that the sale is over.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Above
I think it is more uncertainty around quarantine etc. rather than people not wanting to fly.

Athens was rammed both ways at the weekend and the pricing was sky high.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: EK Gold, Asia Miles, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ab007
Finally gave in at about 9pm last night, LHR-YVR in late May, 62,500 Avios in J using a 241.

Had we booked sooner First was available on the outbound but given it's currently scheduled A380 both ways there are more than likely going to be some changes whatever happens.

I'm in no doubt we'll see future offers like this, but with another 241 shortly on the way thought I may as well try for somewhere we actually want to go.
Just a heads up, Vancouver (BC) has a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place which I don't think will be lifted by May.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg901
I haven't actually changed it but my SIN-LHR (early April) is offering to change to another date (peak or off peak) and get a small cash refund - no mention of Avios. However the actual underlying tax & YQ I guess is the same, just a currency movement. So this may not be a conclusive test. But I'll be very pleased if this does work nearer the time as the exact date I need the ticket is not confirmed yet and I'll have some degree of flexibility to find an open seat (and I only need one seat which always helps)
it will let you get all the way through the change process including picking new flights & pricing the change in TFC’s but it then fails at final stage whilst processing payment or refund so very much an inconclusive test!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I don’t know whether getting a 10hr return club flight for two to MLE for 62500 avios (with Amex 241) was a good deal, or using Gold Priority Reward to get two seats on the exact high demand date to BGI in F for the standard avios cost was more worth it.

either way that sale was one hell of a sale with no strings attached apart from travel till end of June.
pogonation, aahch and Will100 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AF Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ermis177
Actually its not right. KARFA many thanks for your help.

I always knew BAEC is a not a good FFP but i just realised how bad it is.

Ex Brazil to London shows the correct amount of Avios plus £200+ in surcharges online. If you call the surcharges are about £7...

God knows how many people have paid the £200+. I am amazed that online it shows whatever it likes.

Miles and More is probably the second worst FFP after BAEC. At least it charges the right amount!

Anyone knows which other destinations we need to call instead of booking online due to this?
I booked tickets online at the correct price ($10 taxes per person, GRU-LHR one way in J) - I'm not sure whether being resident in Brazil (which I am) means that the site prices this up correctly? There is a message suggesting to call to make bookings, however given that the site worked I went ahead. Hopefully no issue later.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Originally Posted by LaFerrari
Just a heads up, Vancouver (BC) has a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place which I don't think will be lifted by May.
Thanks for highlighting, with it being 7 months away I'm not too worried, rules will no doubt change back and forth in that time.

To be honest like most people booking various deals and TP runs at present I'm happy to sit back and assess the options nearer the time, we're happy to take a shot at a worst case £35pp. Interestingly as mentioned by others I can go all the way to the last page changing the booking online (pushing it back to later off peak dates) with no difference in avios just a £7pp change in taxes.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have a similar issue with 2 future Avios bookings, one ZRH-LHR-USA in F and one GVA-LHR-USA in CW. I did the sums and the numbers just don't add up, each ticket is about 5000 Avios too much. I called YouFirst to sort it out, the agent said he would check with a colleague and call me back. Within 15 minutes he called me back and said their numbers were correct. I countered with my own numbers, but they stood their ground saying pricing has changed about 18 months ago and maybe I was dealing with an old chart. In a case like this, I don't know how to argue as I am not sure my numbers are correct and there is no reference to back me up. But I am under the impression that off-peak GVA/ZRH to LHR in CE is 7750, so with the 25% off would be 5812. The agent told me no, its 14250 and with 25% off comes down to 10628. I didn't pursue it further as I already saved a chunk of Avios with the current promo. But combined its still about a 10,000 Avios discrepancy, IMHO.
When I do a dummy booking for Switzerland-LHR in CE off-peak, I get another set of numbers, but that's because its the GBP 1 taxes pricing, so its a little all over the place, to say the least. I wonder if someone else on here can give some explanations, or even better suggest a solution...
we have the answer...stealth devaluation...
https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...-award-prices/
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
we have the answer...stealth devaluation...
https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...-award-prices/
@Raffles:

Didn't your site HFP uncover this quite some time ago? I'm kind of surprised OMAAT claims it discovered this. Issue seems well-known to me.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:04 pm

The only thing I want to add is that:

YYZ - LHR - HND inJ 1pax, taxes and fees amounted to $900 USD
The reverse, HND-LHR-YYZ? 240 USD.

Holy smokes.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
@Raffles:

Didn't your site HFP uncover this quite some time ago? I'm kind of surprised OMAAT claims it discovered this. Issue seems well-known to me.
That's the second time I've seen OMAAT steal HfP content recently. Then when I commented querying on OMAAT, it was deleted .
flyertalker28120 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.