Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Booked GLA-LGW-CUN during the promotion, with an AMEX voucher: 68300k + about 1.3k in taxes; two schedule changes in a space of two weeks with the latest one making the whole trip not possible (for us). Phoned Gold Line and the answer was that if we convert this into a voucher, any future booking will be recalculated at a full rate: i.e. the promotion is not being 'locked in'.

Just wanted to confirm if anyone had a different experience/resolution before going for a full refund?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozon78
Booked GLA-LGW-CUN during the promotion, with an AMEX voucher: 68300k + about 1.3k in taxes; two schedule changes in a space of two weeks with the latest one making the whole trip not possible (for us). Phoned Gold Line and the answer was that if we convert this into a voucher, any future booking will be recalculated at a full rate: i.e. the promotion is not being 'locked in'.

Just wanted to confirm if anyone had a different experience/resolution before going for a full refund?

yes that would be the same for any booking which you FTV. The situation is analogous to buying a flight discounted in a sale for cash, once you FTV the booking you don’t get to rebook new flights at the original sale price, you would have to buy at whatever price the flights are now. An FTV is essentially just a wrapper for cash, avios, and vouchers to be used as a credit to a new booking. None of the old bookings terms or fare gets kept.

EDIT: just to add, if you get a schedule change of over 240 mins or a cancelled flight you should have been able to move your booking to any dates within a year of when you originally booked without the need for avios availability on the new flights and with no additional charge
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Thanks KARFA

The gold line advice was that commercial fares (in case there's no Avios availability) could only be opened up within a period of 3 days before the cancelled flight or 14 days after...I managed to find suitable flights with Avios availability at the end of August - the agent could not re-issue the tickets whilst I was on the line, so sent it for re-ticketing. will report back if there are any issues with this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ozon78
Thanks KARFA

The gold line advice was that commercial fares (in case there's no Avios availability) could only be opened up within a period of 3 days before the cancelled flight or 14 days after...I managed to find suitable flights with Avios availability at the end of August - the agent could not re-issue the tickets whilst I was on the line, so sent it for re-ticketing. will report back if there are any issues with this.
I am afraid that advice was wrong. It was the case you could only move -3/+14 days according to the standard guidelines, but this was relaxed in July and this is the latest iteration https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32762442-post4260.html

For cancellations of BA flights you can move the booking to BA flights on the same route for any dates within ticket validity (so up one year from booking). You do not same selling class availability, just space in the same cabin. This does includes avios redemption bookings.

Anyway, glad you found some dates that worked in the end.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA
I didn’t screenshot the T&C’s during the booking process of the avios sale, where would I find them? On mmb?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by heronb
I didn’t screenshot the T&C’s during the booking process of the avios sale, where would I find them? On mmb?

Thanks
see post 89 of this thread, mikeyfly copied them in to the post
heronb likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:24 am

Another data point: I had a minor cancellation/change in one of my January bookings and was just able to move the whole thing to November via Twitter.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:38 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by moejoe2342
Another data point: I had a minor cancellation/change in one of my January bookings and was just able to move the whole thing to November via Twitter.
November? so outside of 355 day ticket validity? (Assuming you booked this in October with the Promo)
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:51 am

Yes, apprently. Outbound OCT30 inbound NOV18. Booking date was 2020OCT09.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Hmm... maybe you should wait until the ticket is reissued before it is concluded that you have accomplished to get rebooked beyond 1 year from original ticket date.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:02 am

Already done. It took a few hours but now the new ticket is here.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Another data point:
I'd booked 2 seats in F to/from YVR for March/April in the 50% sale (combined with an Amex 241 voucher). Later I telephoned YouFirst and successfully moved the seats to July/August (outside of the offer period). The agent confirmed that there was no change to the number of Avios and that I would need to pay a small additonal amount of taxes (£8.39 per seat). The booking remained unticketed for 6 weeks.
All of a sudden I got an mobile phone alert from Amex informing me that the £16.78 had been charged, so I checked MMB and could see that the ticketing process had been completed. However, a large chuck of Avios had also dissapeared. When I checked my Avious statement it shows that the original (sale) amount being credit followed by the full amount being debited.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by bakera
Another data point:
I'd booked 2 seats in F to/from YVR for March/April in the 50% sale (combined with an Amex 241 voucher). Later I telephoned YouFirst and successfully moved the seats to July/August (outside of the offer period). The agent confirmed that there was no change to the number of Avios and that I would need to pay a small additonal amount of taxes (£8.39 per seat). The booking remained unticketed for 6 weeks.
All of a sudden I got an mobile phone alert from Amex informing me that the £16.78 had been charged, so I checked MMB and could see that the ticketing process had been completed. However, a large chuck of Avios had also dissapeared. When I checked my Avious statement it shows that the original (sale) amount being credit followed by the full amount being debited.
This is what would be expected no?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by bakera
Another data point:
it is correct that any voluntary changes to these 50% bookings now will mean you will have to pay the extra avios due for the normal rate. i think your only option here is to try and get BA to honour what the agent originally stated which was there would be no extra avios needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.