Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

September 2020 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Scotflyer80
BA have in the last week made a number of adjustments to their schedule for the month of September.

London Heathrow Longhaul

Updated: 27 August (05:30)

Abuja - Daily (from 16SEP)
16SEP & 17SEP - 777-200ER (4 Class)
18SEP to 30SEP - 777-200ER (3 Class with CW suite)

Accra - Daily (3 Class) 777-200ER (from 04SEP)
Bahrain - 3 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER (from 18SEP)
Bangalore - 4 x Weekly A350-1000XWB
Boston - Daily A350-1000XWB
Cairo - 3 x Weekly 787-9
Chicago - Daily A350-1000XWB
Dallas - Daily 787-10
Delhi - Daily 787-9
Dubai - Daily A350-1000XWB
Grand Cayman - (3 Class) 777-200ER (operates 17SEP only )
Hong Kong - Daily 777-300ER
Islamabad - 5 x Weekly 787-8
Kuwait - 3 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
Lagos - Daily (4 Class) 777-200ER
Los Angeles - Daily 787-9
Miami - Daily 787-9
Moscow DME - 3 x Weekly 787-8
Mumbai - 5 x Weekly 777-300ER
Nairobi - 4 x Weekly 777-300ER
New York (JFK) - 2 x Daily (4 Class). 777-200ER
Riyadh - 4 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
San Francisco - Daily 777-300ER
São Paulo - Daily 787-9
Seattle - 3 x Weekly 787-10
Seychelles - 2 x Weekly 787-9 (from 16SEP)
Shanghai - 2 x Weekly 777-300ER
Singapore - 4 x Weekly 777-300ER
Tel Aviv - 3 x Weekly A350-1000XWB
Toronto - Daily 787-8
Washington - Daily A350-1000XWB

London Gatwick Longhaul

Updated: 27 August (06:00)

Antigua - 2 x Weekly (3 Class) 777-200ER
Barbados - 3 to 4 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
Bermuda - 5 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER
Kingston - 3 x Weekly (3 Class) 777-200ER
St Lucia - 2 x Weekly (4 Class) 777-200ER

London City

Updated: 27 August (06:15)

Belfast City - 5 x Weekly (from 07SEP)
Berlin - 5 x Weekly (from 07SEP)
Dublin - 5 x Weekly
Edinburgh - 6 x Weekly
Faro - 4 x Weekly
Florence - 13 x Weekly
Frankfurt - 4 x Weekly (from 07SEP)
Glasgow - 6 x Weekly
Ibiza - 7 x Weekly
Zürich - 4 x Weekly (from 07SEP)

Further changes are highly likely between now and the start of September
Print Wikipost

September 2020 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by charlesrhona
Due to fly ABZ-LHR-LAX on 7th September returning LAX-LHR-ABZ on 21st and 22nd September. Outward journey to LAX is on BA269 and return to LHR on BA282. Both outward and inward flights still showng as open although advised yesterday of an aircraft and seat changes on the BA269. Paid for with a 2-4-1 and Avios and if need be will have to cancel as unable to get ESTA and continued travel advice from UK Government but waiting to see what BA do. There must be others who have been in this situation over that past couple of months and have not travelled. Can anyone let me know what BA have done in such circumstances.
Well as a reward flight your worst case scenario is you just cancel the booking under standard reward booking conditions and get everything back minus a £35 per person cancellation fee/

Alternatively if any flight gets cancelled you can call to cancel and get a full refund with no fees paid.

Also it is possible book with confidence & future travel vouchers are extended in some form in to September so that may be an option.
tonmason likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
You are absolutely correct, email received this morning, thank you, replying to Manchester
tonmason likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
My LHR-SJC on 18th September has also been cancelled,
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Our flights to AUS on September 9th have been cancelled. No email sent, I found out when I went to MMB. Also no option on BA.com to apply for FTV or rebook. I had booked these flights with avios and Lloyds upgrade vouchers via the avios team, so I’m assuming this may limit my options and I will need to talk to avios team?
Does anyone know what my options might be? Ideally, I would be happy to take FTV if it preserved my Lloyds upgrade vouchers.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
Our flights to AUS on September 9th have been cancelled. No email sent, I found out when I went to MMB. Also no option on BA.com to apply for FTV or rebook. I had booked these flights with avios and Lloyds upgrade vouchers via the avios team, so I’m assuming this may limit my options and I will need to talk to avios team?
Does anyone know what my options might be? Ideally, I would be happy to take FTV if it preserved my Lloyds upgrade vouchers.
If you click on cancellation options in MMB or cancel booking if you are directed to the disruption screen you should automatically be taken to the page for future travel voucher application. Failing that you can just click here https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn

FTVs are being issued fairly promptly atm, so you should get your email saying it is done within a few hours at most.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:13 am

Thanks Karfa.

there is no option to cancel or change the booking in MMB. When I click on MMB I am taken to a page that just says flight cancelled, I have now scrolled down to the bottom of the page and there is some text at the bottom to contact my travel agent.
I think I’ll plan to talk to avios team before I use the link you kindly provided.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Blue
Help please on options

We are booked on LHR-SEA (BA 49) on 7th Sept., then on to Honolulu on the 13th Sept. returning Honolulu to LAX on the 29th Sept followed by LAX- LHR (BA282) on the 2nd Oct. The tickets were purchased on credit card in November 2019, so pre Covid. With the current FCO travel advice together with the US travel restrictions on UK arrivals we are hoping for a cancellation to enable recovery of the costs. BA are telling me that if there are no cancellations and we choose not to travel we will forfeit our ticket costs less some taxes, regardless of FCO or US Gov. advice. Any advice welcome.
PS we do have travel insurance, but that requires the FCO advice not to travel to be in place.
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Zandy
We are booked on LHR-SEA (BA 49) on 7th Sept., then on to Honolulu on the 13th Sept. returning Honolulu to LAX on the 29th Sept followed by LAX- LHR (BA282) on the 2nd Oct. The tickets were purchased on credit card in November 2019, so pre Covid. With the current FCO travel advice together with the US travel restrictions on UK arrivals we are hoping for a cancellation to enable recovery of the costs. BA are telling me that if there are no cancellations and we choose not to travel we will forfeit our ticket costs less some taxes, regardless of FCO or US Gov. advice. Any advice welcome.
PS we do have travel insurance, but that requires the FCO advice not to travel to be in place.
Thanks
Yes that is certainly currently true. If there are no flight cancellations in your booking, and book with confidence & future travel vouchers are not extended to cover September travel, any cancellation would be as per fare rules. It is possible your travel insurance would cover the rest.

However, I would strongly suggest the likelihood of you having any flight cancellations on a booking like that is close to certain, especially if travel to the US continues to remain restricted. I think it is very likely you will get a flight cancellation during the next 4 -6 weeks, and/or FTVs will be extended in some form which covers your booking. I really would not be worried if I were you.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
Thanks Karfa.

there is no option to cancel or change the booking in MMB. When I click on MMB I am taken to a page that just says flight cancelled, I have now scrolled down to the bottom of the page and there is some text at the bottom to contact my travel agent.
I think I’ll plan to talk to avios team before I use the link you kindly provided.
Providing some feedback on this..........

I called avios team. I got through after a couple of minutes. I have been advised that FTV is not available for booking that has been made using Lloyds upgrade vouchers. The agent didn’t sound very confident when I queried this though.

My options are refund of avios, vouchers and taxes. Vouchers will be extended by 3 months. Or rebook, but there has to be reward availability on any rebooked flight.

I want to travel but realistically that’s not going to be an option for a few months yet or possibly into next year. I reckon I will wait until closer to flight time to maximise voucher validity.

Anyone got any other suggestions??
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Advantage Gold
BA 52 SEA-LHR on 9/7 and BA 53 LHR-SEA on 9/14 cancelled today. Time to call for refund.

Last edited by rfctex; Jul 22, 2020 at 8:05 am Reason: Forgot return city
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
BA53 LHR-SEA on 2 Sept and BA286 SFO-LHR on 18 Sept both cancelled.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: United, Virgin, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Confus
Have a bit of patience! It’s ages away and there’s still a chance one of your flights may be cancelled before then. And there’s equally a chance that the voucher scheme is extended into September. My money (admittedly based on no evidence at all, just a hunch) is that there will be one more month’s extension of it, there’s still a decent chunk of early bookers who won’t want to travel and BA won’t want to annoy them too much.
Thanks fore the reply and advice. I am reading about a lot of cancellations, but the majority are long-haul. I'll sit tight until the end of August.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by tonmason
Thanks fore the reply and advice. I am reading about a lot of cancellations, but the majority are long-haul. I'll sit tight until the end of August.
Exactly! Our BA Holliday to Dubai in September is still on, as the 1 of the usual 3 flights remaining on that route was ours anyhow! However our MAN feeders have scuppered us the past months and they haven’t yet started decimating the 6 daily domestic flights yet. I expect this to happen imminently for September, and we can then go and pick another Holiday we hope! We’re a bit dubious about Ultra All Inclusive to Dubai at the moment anyhow!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Our return flight 287 Lhr-Sfo on 9/29 was canceled this morning and I am on hold with BA for a refund.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by tonmason
they may not have been posted as much, but there had have been and continue to be large numbers of short haul cancellations. Most routes are either not running currently or running at well below 50% of normal frequency, and these cancellations are continuing to the end of August. I am sure September cancellations will start in the next 3-5 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.