Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
I count myself fortunate to have flown many times on BA 747's, my last was a trip back from Las Vegas to LHR at the end of Dec 2019. I always found the 747 a comfortable aircraft and I will miss the old bird.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
BA have made one too, just popped up on my FB feed.
Should be available to watch here: Facebook Link
https://www.facebook.com/76903425829/posts/10159977201990830/

Flower Duet of course for that tear in the eye moment!
and to link to another thread ‘by the British Airways orchestra’. No royalties required.
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:10 pm

Just out of curiosity, how difficult would it have been to put a 747 on say the Manchester/Heathrow route one weekend for the 4 flights that happen instead of the A320/A319 as a farewell flight / normal operation hybrid? Any enthusiasts who wanted the opportunity to fly the BA 747 one last time could have done giving BA extra ££ while flying a route that was happening anyway. I know a 747 uses more fuel but i'm sure that would have been offset by those wanting to fly it, i know i would have paid £500 for 2 seats to fly it again just for an hour so long as it was in the business or first seats.

Would something like that have just been a logistical nightmare for them or is it a case of they don't need every avenue of income at the moment so just don't care?
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by 2ilent8cho
Just out of curiosity, how difficult would it have been to put a 747 on say the Manchester/Heathrow route one weekend for the 4 flights that happen instead of the A320/A319 as a farewell flight / normal operation hybrid? Any enthusiasts who wanted the opportunity to fly the BA 747 one last time could have done giving BA extra ££ while flying a route that was happening anyway. I know a 747 uses more fuel but i'm sure that would have been offset by those wanting to fly it, i know i would have paid £500 for 2 seats to fly it again just for an hour so long as it was in the business or first seats.

Would something like that have just been a logistical nightmare for them or is it a case of they don't need every avenue of income at the moment so just don't care?
I’m afraid yes it would be very difficult. All of the 747’s have had many systems disabled to save money. They have also not had their hanger check up’s and heavy work done which means Boeing are usually giving BA permission to over ride these checks in order to fly them on a one off basis - i.e a retirement/positioning flight. To set them up for a passenger operation and flyable condition would now be extremely costly.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
Anyone know which 747 is Planned to be next to follow G-CIVD and when?
CIVD was planned to retire april / may this year due to expired D check (the major check done every 6 year) - CIVH and CIVI has expired D check too so they are probably next
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kenneth Jensen
CIVD was planned to retire april / may this year due to expired D check (the major check done every 6 year) - CIVH and CIVI has expired D check too so they are probably next
We flew ORD-LHR on CIVH in March (we should have been on the later 777 flight but it was cancelled 40 minutes before we left the house and we rebooked). We flew back on CIVR with one other passenger in F after BAH persuaded us to leave a day early in case the next day was cancelled in the muddle over US entry. We scored 1A and 1F in both directions. We didn't know at the time that it would be the end of the line and I am glad we managed it. I shall particularly miss the UD!
RB211 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Kenneth Jensen
CIVH was due to go in October I believe - so at this rate she won’t be far away off her target.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
IVH outside the hangar today with a really tatty looking tail. Also another 74 in the run pen but couldn't see the reg.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 5:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
airplane nerds
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Enthusiasts?
Isn't the correct term "avgeek" nowadays ?

Anyway, my Covid-friendly suggestion for a fitting sendoff : the 3 heritage liveried 747s, plus one in regular livery, in formation for a low-level circuit around and over London, taking in LHR and LGW, then off westwards into the Cotswold / Victorville sunset ...
yellow_peril and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Trent900
IVH outside the hangar today with a really tatty looking tail.
I might know something about that. On Nov 26 last year I boarded CIVH en-route to JFK. After 2 hours we were sent back into the terminal, told that we'd get a new aircraft because CIVH required an inspection for a lightning strike on the tail sustained inbound that morning. The tail certainly looked less than pristine. Eventually CIVS turned up and we were on our way, 6 hours late. And, a couple of weeks later, 600 euros made its way into my bank account.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
just passed by and there has definitely been some movement, that was all 747s about two weeks ago

Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Isn't the correct term "avgeek" nowadays ?

Anyway, my Covid-friendly suggestion for a fitting sendoff : the 3 heritage liveried 747s, plus one in regular livery, in formation for a low-level circuit around and over London, taking in LHR and LGW, then off westwards into the Cotswold / Victorville sunset ...
that indeed would be a sight to behold. I not confident it will happen though. Maybe we will see just the one.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I thought CIVH might be on the move as showing on FR24 and the track was changing. I think it was switching between 131 and 311 which I suspect is an anomaly based on it not moving (+180°)
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club

A sad picture, CIVN at Cotswold Airport.
Genius1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.