Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH
....errrr, they will have to be flown out of LHR anyway. The "huge" costs are where? Yes, people would pay £100s of pounds for a Y seat. Were the Concorde retirement celebrations also insensitive when the initial reason for the start of its demise was a fatal crash followed by a big collapse in demand due to a multiple fatality terrorist attack?

Why has QF just managed to do this very successfully with the retirement of their 744 fleet and the airline also facing huge staff cuts? If Ok for QF under virtually the same circumstances, why not for BA?
Echo this - it's no different to the circumstances of QF. Think people can understand the difference between a general celebration and celebrating an icon which finds itself as a victim of C19. Not sure there would be much coverage in terms of party scene on board.. if anything it would be the environmental lot that would kick off and pick up press headlines. I for one would like to see an appropriate farewell to the QOTS.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
....errrr, they will have to be flown out of LHR anyway. The "huge" costs are where? Yes, people would pay £100s of pounds for a Y seat. Were the Concorde retirement celebrations also insensitive when the initial reason for the start of its demise was a fatal crash followed by a big collapse in demand due to a multiple fatality terrorist attack?

Why has QF just managed to do this very successfully with the retirement of their 744 fleet and the airline also facing huge staff cuts? If Ok for QF under virtually the same circumstances, why not for BA?
Don’t they strip all seats / fixtures out of them before flying them out? I’m fairly sure the 747s at Cardiff are being stripped out.

Also, for a ferry flight, can’t they operate with pilots only? Using the ferry flight as a farewell flight would undoubtedly need cabin crew to operate it. I realise BA have plenty of crew, but don’t know whether there would be any special training requirements to get those crew back to operating on the 747 with passengers.

And finally, BA are trying to reduce all engineering costs on these aircraft. Carrying pax may require certain systems to be serviceable that would otherwise would not stop the aircraft from operating as crew only.

From my viewpoint, what initially seems like a simple idea, is probably a real PITA to organise with lots of requirements that just make it too difficult.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Don’t they strip all seats / fixtures out of them before flying them out?
Many older seats are scrapped with the aircraft rather than salvaged.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
The rather beautiful Negus retrojet is still at LHR. A one off farewell flight round the Bay of Biscay and into CWL would command quite the premium....
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skipness1E
The rather beautiful Negus retrojet is still at LHR. A one off farewell flight round the Bay of Biscay and into CWL would command quite the premium....
Yes, still here this evening

Genius1 and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Their current behaviour towards... (Insert anything here)... suggests that BA do not really care about being seen as insensitive or anything other than money grabbing.
Very understanding of all the people working hard keeping things running.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Yes I can see your view, the thoughts were the 10 or so LHR based 744's will all need to be flown somewhere so there is no incremental costs. Why not gain some profitable revenue by filling those seats with people at a premium price and gain some huge positive publicity for BA...they do need it!
As explained above, the airports to which they will be flown for decommissioning are not set up to receive a 747’s worth of passengers, so they would have to be dropped somewhere on the way. Which does lead to incremental costs.

I’m led to believe that BA management have seriously considered farewell flights. They supported them but only if they could ‘pay their way’. So far, however, they have come up against significant opposition from engineering, who have said the costs of re-enabling pax flights would be too high to justify it. Maybe that’ll change, who knows.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
As explained above, the airports to which they will be flown for decommissioning are not set up to receive a 747’s worth of passengers, so they would have to be dropped somewhere on the way. Which does lead to incremental costs.

I’m led to believe that BA management have seriously considered farewell flights. They supported them but only if they could ‘pay their way’. So far, however, they have come up against significant opposition from engineering, who have said the costs of re-enabling pax flights would be too high to justify it. Maybe that’ll change, who knows.
Well, if we hadn’t been going through the worst crisis in the history of aviation, even stingy BA would of probably put some farewell flights on.

Qantas managed it to do one though.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Well, if we hadn’t been going through the worst crisis in the history of aviation, even stingy BA would of probably put some farewell flights on.

Qantas managed it to do one though.
If it saves my job I'd prefer if "stingy BA" didn't put on a farewell flight.
There might be some who would spend a few £s to fly to Cardiff on the upper deck of a 747, but are they the same criticising BA for making people redundant?
SteveF and BAeuro like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by T5ops
If it saves my job I'd prefer if "stingy BA" didn't put on a farewell flight.
There might be some who would spend a few £s to fly to Cardiff on the upper deck of a 747, but are they the same criticising BA for making people redundant?
Yes - if the year was 2024 as planned “Stingy BA” probably would of put some farewell flights on. Of course, with the crisis PR wise and financially wise it’s just not practical.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:49 pm

There's also the (huge) cost of bringing an aircraft or 2 back into passenger operation.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
I never got to fly the 747 and would have loved a final farewell flight BUT I can’t see it happening and I don’t blame BA for it.

The arguments that ‘BA are flying them to Cardiff anyway so why not let us onboard’ are ridiculous. They would need cabin crew to have up to date training on the aircraft, they would need to got through extensive checks to ensure all safety equipment and systems were working. You would then have the cost of fuel (heavier aircraft and maybe longer routing) and ground operations at LHR. Then wait for Unite to slam BA claiming that they have money for celebratory flights and not to save crew. Oh and I’m sure extinction rebellion will be along with their vegan smoothies and plastic free banners!

Maybe they will change their mind, maybe things will be different when the final aircraft leaves LHR, I don’t know. But my opinion is that we won’t see any special flights, but maybe a water canon salute and a bit of nostalgia/farewells from BA staff near the maintenance hangers.
opus99 and revorgap like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
But my opinion is that we won’t see any special flights, but maybe a water canon salute and a bit of nostalgia/farewells from BA staff near the maintenance hangers.
I think that's the most we'll see, if we're lucky.

rb211.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:03 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Not sure if anyone is already on this / already posted this ... but want to start fundraising for one?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53549457

The retirement of BA's 747 fleet has led to a bout of nostalgia from staff and plane fanatics keen for souvenirs.

Earlier this month, BA announced it was permanently grounding its fleet of 31 747s amid the coronavirus-led slump in travel demand.

Some of these iconic planes will end up at a salvage firm at Cotswold Airport.

Air Salvage International's owner Mark Gregory says he is getting a stream of inquiries from people keen to grab a piece of aviation history.

This week, Boeing said it would stop making the 747 planes as airlines opt for newer and more fuel-efficient planes.

Mr Gregory has already taken delivery of three BA 747-400s and another three will be delivered in the coming months. He expects the remainder to be sold to other airlines and operators.

The 747 is credited as making long-distance air travel more affordable and has a history stretching back five decades. As it slowly disappears, a market is developing for souvenirs, ranging from seats to side panels.

"I get a daily stream of emails from BA staff and 747 fanatics who want to buy a piece of a plane. A cut-out side section is popular which can be hung on the wall. These usually go for about £200 each," said Mr Gregory.

"They are good aircraft and have done a lot of hours. They have definitely earned their keep."

His salvage and trading company has been operating for more than 20 years out of Cotswold Airport, a private airfield near Kemble which was once owned by the Ministry of Defence.

But it's not just BA that is offloading its 747s. Other major airlines are also waving goodbye to their planes.

Last week, Australian national carrier Qantas said farewell to the last of its Boeing 747s. The final flight of a Qantas 747 drew a massive kangaroo shape in the sky as it left Sydney Airport.

Since the coronavirus outbreak, Air Salvage International has seen a ten-fold increase in inquiries from a number of airlines looking for storage facilities.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Their current behaviour towards... (Insert anything here)... suggests that BA do not really care about being seen as insensitive or anything other than money grabbing.
WAKE UP....

This crisis will finish them if they don’t get their cash position in order.

Read the number released today, they are really bad. The industry is in trouble and need to make changes, unfortunately this includes cutting staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.