Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BOH
I think you would be very pleasantly surprised at how many people will do just that. The 744's at LHR have not yet had anything done to them that would require additional work to get them back to passenger standards either, they are simply stored and very importantly, they were stored using procedures fully expecting them to fly passengers again. The main difference between flying them empty to CWL or with pax on board is a full and currently rated CC are needed.

Just needs a will to make it happen......exactly as QF have done who are facing the exact same issues as BA regarding Covid19 restrictions, having to make staff redundant and a possibility Greta jumping up and down. No difference whatsoever, the PR angle by BA simply needs to be a) the flights are going to happen anyway because they must be flown out of LHR and b) they are charging money for the flights and for each flight, the income received is greater then any costs.

Can you enlighten us what the "high costs" are as they have been stored using procedures that fully expected them to return to pax service?
The costs have been highlighted above. This won’t earn BA any money at all and I personally doubt there is sufficient demand at a time like this for a twenty minute flight.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
...and I personally doubt there is sufficient demand at a time like this for a twenty minute flight.
You have been on FT how long and you think there wouldn't be sufficient demand?

You could sell every seat at say £500 and I would guarantee you would fill a 747 from LHR-CWL.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:05 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
The commercial genesis of operating farewell flights is it only needs to appeal to those that do care, as demonstrated with the retirement of the 757. First and foremost BA needs to get itself on a stable footing before putting a break-even plan into action but if BA can pull this together sometime in 2021, and direct the proceeds to a charitable cause, the outcome could be triumphant.

This is not only about the retirement of a magnificant aircraft - it is also about the many wonderful and empassioned crew members ending their long and successful careers.
I get it - I really do: it's an amazing aircraft that delivered decades of service and revolutionised mass air travel through its various iterations. The board is rightly beside itself with grief at the prospect of never being able to sit in 64K again.

But, let's look at the mechanics of it. We're in the middle of an active pandemic, the course of which is currently difficult to predict. We do know that Covid-19 is more likely to be spread if social distancing is not observed. Air travel itself has been massively impacted and there's no guarantee that BA will be on the stable footing envisaged in 2021. As such we really need to be realistic - from a perspective of not prolonging the pandemic more than necessary and is BA really going to keep a 747 stored away until such a time as a farewell flight might be feasible. By then, it could be less of a farewell and more of a heritage flight like you might take on a Sunday behind a steam train.

BA has, I feel, been realistic. This board needs to be, too.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by V10
I get it - I really do: it's an amazing aircraft that delivered decades of service and revolutionised mass air travel through its various iterations. The board is rightly beside itself with grief at the prospect of never being able to sit in 64K again.

But, let's look at the mechanics of it. We're in the middle of an active pandemic, the course of which is currently difficult to predict. We do know that Covid-19 is more likely to be spread if social distancing is not observed. Air travel itself has been massively impacted and there's no guarantee that BA will be on the stable footing envisaged in 2021. As such we really need to be realistic - from a perspective of not prolonging the pandemic more than necessary and is BA really going to keep a 747 stored away until such a time as a farewell flight might be feasible. By then, it could be less of a farewell and more of a heritage flight like you might take on a Sunday behind a steam train.

BA has, I feel, been realistic. This board needs to be, too.
Agreed. Qantas was realistic was it not?

Whilst I agree it is not likely to be trivial, I find it somewhat irksome that most of the arguments up thread have conveniently ignored the fact that another major airline has just done exactly that and more so. Yes there will be some differences between BA and QF situation. But there are also many similarities that address many of the points raised.

Qantas flight were sold out in 10 minutes by the way.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:31 am
Suspended

Presumably they can’t do the Dream flights to Florida at the moment, so perhaps something else instead.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:33 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Agreed. Qantas was realistic was it not?

Whilst I agree it is not likely to be trivial, I find it somewhat irksome that most of the arguments up thread have conveniently ignored the fact that another major airline has just done exactly that and more so. Yes there will be some differences between BA and QF situation. But there are also many similarities that address many of the points raised.

Qantas flight were sold out in 10 minutes by the way.
I really don't care what Qantas did, frankly. If it made sense for them, great.

What matters is what makes sense for the situation BA and the wider UK finds itself in. In both cases, it looks irresponsible.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
is this cockoo then?
imo - yup
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:30 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Reading a lot of the above naysayers makes me laugh. Because strangely enough, QF managed to make It all happen whilst facing the same Covid virus issues, the same traumatic staff reductions, the same strong unions.

Equally amazingly they managed to make it all a hugely positive PR experience for QF too. Yet many feel all these issues are the complete opposite and insurmountable for BA.

Amazing those people at QF, they really are
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero

This is not only about the retirement of a magnificant aircraft - it is also about the many wonderful and empassioned crew members ending their long and successful careers.
It isn't the retirement of an aeroplane , it is the end of one airline using it - there are still airlines with 747s

If it was the last 747, it would be more noteworthy
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:36 am
BOH

Originally Posted by V10
I really don't care what Qantas did, frankly. If it made sense for them, great.

What matters is what makes sense for the situation BA and the wider UK finds itself in. In both cases, it looks irresponsible.
Was it irresponsible to fly last chance retirement flights for Concorde against the backdrop of the AF crash and 9/11 attacks? Both of which had multiple fatalities and are widely accepted as being the triggers for the premature retirement of the type? Weird how against this backdrop BA turned it into a huge positive for the airline?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:38 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It isn't the retirement of an aeroplane , it is the end of one airline using it - there are still airlines with 747s

If it was the last 747, it would be more noteworthy
......but yet QF sold theirs out within 10 minutes. Seems not everyone agrees it is not noteworthy?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We are going to have to accept that the “new normal” is that businesses will do only what they have to and nothing more.

From the admittedly limited straw poll I have had amongst family and friends, no one seems that bothered about BA getting rid of of the 747s, they liken it to trading in your car for a newer model.

Personally I have no real interest in a “goodbye” flight on any aircraft. If I have flown on it, I have flown on it, if not, so what, it’s just an aeroplane.
Misco60 and opus99 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
imo - yup
what are your hobbies?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by BOH
Equally amazingly they managed to make it all a hugely positive PR experience for QF too. Yet many feel all these issues are the complete opposite and insurmountable for BA.

Amazing those people at QF, they really are
I'm not sure that QF's ability to make farewell flights happen allows us to make a reliable assessment of the ease with which BA could make these happen. There will be issues that only BA will know about. I did wonder if crew recency might an issue. BA hasn't used its 747s for a while.

I'm also doubtful the QF exercise was 'massively' positive. You clearly have a passion for aviation, but suspect most others will have been far less excited. It's clear that many, including those with an interest in aviation here, see the arguments as more complex, including on the appropriateness of such flights. BA will know that it would not get a free pass from the UK media, who would doubtless rehearse BA's difficulties, including its industrial relations, in any coverage of such flights.

Originally Posted by BOH
Reading a lot of the above naysayers makes me laugh. Because strangely enough, QF managed to make It all happen whilst facing the same Covid virus issues, the same traumatic staff reductions, the same strong unions.
It's good that see you see some light in the debate, as I see a real risk that your wishes will come to nought.
Shuttle_Endeavour and opus99 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KARFA
You have been on FT how long and you think there wouldn't be sufficient demand?

You could sell every seat at say £500 and I would guarantee you would fill a 747 from LHR-CWL.
Look, I get the emotional attachment many people feel to the 747. It is my favourite aircraft as well. But seriously, do you see a BA retirement flight Heathrow to Cardiff (definition of lameness) happening in this environment? Do you see this being some huge PR win for BA? I don’t. I was on a fair few Concorde flights and made an effort for one more in July 2003 just before she folded her wings because it felt ‘special’. This just doesn’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.