Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Its nothing special, it didn't fly for BOAC, the 747-400 didn't even fly for BOAC. Its just a 1998/1999 aircraft with a fictional livery on it for the last few years.

There are loads of 744s still in service all around the world.
Gengy and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
I honestly doubt Cruz would have anything to do with the agreement. There are professionals who know what they are doing in the organisation, and selling your assets whilst still having your branding applied for use by a third party is not taken lightly, especially when use by that third party could cause significant reputational damage. At the very least there would have been a licence agreement for continued use of the BA owned IP which would comprise conditions regarding use.
I guess we'll never agree on this one, but in my opinion you're overthinking this one. BA - again, under orders from Cruz, who probably got it phoned down from Willie much like everything else he's ever done - alienated the whole fleet in a matter of months. They even got rid of some of the rigging which you use to hoist down the engines and then move said engines around. The whole engine repair workshop on the ground floor of TBC was emptied and sold for pennies on the dollar, if not less.

They sold 20+ frames with BA's livery, company name, the Speedmarque logo, the whole lot, to salvage companies which then partied the planes out and sold said parts for a fee. I have bits of the skin of G-BYGD at home, for instance. Everything was sold. I'd argue that the reputational damage of seeing a BA-liveried aircraft being broken up for parts is way higher than the one arising from seeing one wearing a BOAC livery, a company that stopped existing 49 years ago.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I understand all that. The hardware was got rid of quickly. No one is disagreeing with you on that. We have already discussed before that you think it was a mistake, whereas my view it was inevitable at the time. This however is not the issue here.

The IP, namely the trade marks and design rights clearly have a value well beyond the 747 fleet - and yes that does include marks like “BOAC” which are still registered and owned by BA and clearly have value to them - BA aren’t paying annual renewal fees for fun. No one can use those without permission from the rights owner, and these heritage groups can’t simply use those marks without a licence from the rights owner - and licences as standard will include provisions on how they can and can’t be used. To simply allow use without such agreements would be reckless and actually devalue those rights, and I don’t believe for one moment BA is that reckless.

So can I humbly suggest you take onboard from me that BA still had some interest in these frames whilst they remained in BA colours, whether current or heritage. It is possible that I do actually know what I am talking about sometimes.

Whether any of the above is true that they have called for a halt to scrapping, or what basis that would be on is another question which none of us know the answer to.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
G-BYGC was broken up in the last few days, no doubt soon to be featured on planereclaimers.aero.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by BJ787
G-BYGC was broken up in the last few days, no doubt soon to be featured on planereclaimers.aero.
By far my favourite of the retro liveries, I'm a bit sad... (But my flat is too small for any of the memorabilia!)
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Blue
I know it's too late to bring an old thread back but this popped up on my youtube feed this morning, been watching a lot of aircraft and flying video's recently.

Aound 36 minutes in you will need to brace yourselves, I shed a tear

DeadManFlying
Genius1 and Berrisfo like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Had a coffee on these this morning

Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Apparently the gold logos from BYGC have been returned to BA. I wonder what they have planned for them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.