Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The point was that both BA's mediocrity and the popularity of the 747 upper deck are entirely independent of the colour of your FF card.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
The capacity of the 744 is almost identical to that of the A350 - so if CPT has that Demand it can still be supported.
But, no First
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by niavaran
I genuinely don't get why they didn't keep this aircraft on one route. I would have paid 300K avios easy for a one way on the upper deck, or through the nose with cash.
But pretty much nobody else would. So the numbers would never stack up.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
G-BYGF is planned to leave LHR for Cotswold Airport this afternoon.
and so it did... it took a turn around the airport before landing. But to my knowledge BYGF has around 3 more years left on its D check and is one of the newest in the fleet wich makes it COMPLETE madness to scrap it !! I wonder if the people at BA making theese decisions have thougt this through or should be in that place...i know it is a financial struggle right now but for christ sake just store them for now. And when they are all gone the special about BA - to fly the queen - are history and they are on par with almost all other airlines (2 engined cramped space) only Lufthansa still has 19 B747-8 they will keep operating for some more years. There is no more reason for me to fly BA anymore
Stevee365 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kenneth Jensen
i know it is a financial struggle right now but for christ sake just store them for now.
As if that would be a zero cost option?
RB211 and twincheeks like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Kenneth Jensen
and so it did... it took a turn around the airport before landing. But to my knowledge BYGF has around 3 more years left on its D check and is one of the newest in the fleet wich makes it COMPLETE madness to scrap it !! I wonder if the people at BA making theese decisions have thougt this through or should be in that place...i know it is a financial struggle right now but for christ sake just store them for now. And when they are all gone the special about BA - to fly the queen - are history and they are on par with almost all other airlines (2 engined cramped space) only Lufthansa still has 19 B747-8 they will keep operating for some more years. There is no more reason for me to fly BA anymore
The thing is that it's almost always going to be more expensive to maintain four engines than two. And BA apparently also was having some issues with the engines on their 744s. Not surprising, given the age.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
By the time long haul traffic gets back to anywhere near pre Covid levels the 747s were going to have been retired anyway. The capacity simply isn’t needed for the next few years. Also keeping them isn’t cost free either.

i don’t want them to go, but it’s hard to argue with the retirement on a logical level.
VSLover, thijsseh, Genius1 and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Unfortunately, BA needs to follow its head and not its heart. If the numbers don’t add up and they have to go, then that’s what will happen.

If BA operated routes and aircraft for pride/heritage, then they would be in the red.
opus99 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:46 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Giblets
Don't think RR will suffer too much, they have a near monopoly on the A330, and a monopoly on the A350.
Not so, very little profit (if any) is made on the sale and delivery of an engine. It is widely known they are virtually sold at cost as the money is made on power-by-the-hour payments or the lifetime in-service support and spares. So the delivery of the engine is actually a cash drain on the company as all the manufacturing cost is on RR and they do not recoup this investment on delivery, it is over the life of the engine.

Years ago, SQ selected the RR Trent as their engine for their 777 fleet - it was a huge coup for RR as SQ had previously been a loyal P&W. However on the day of the announcement the RR share price nosedived because the city saw it as a huge cash drain on the company in the short to medium term as RR would have to find the working capital to build them and would not recoup that on delivery.

So being the engine of choice on A350 and A330 is not the panacea it might seem.
Giblets likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
Not so, very little profit (if any) is made on the sale and delivery of an engine. It is widely known they are virtually sold at cost as the money is made on power-by-the-hour payments or the lifetime in-service support and spares.
IIRC, Rolls-Royce has done very well in persuading customers to take up the power-by-the-hour solutions. This was brilliant for R-R, until hours flown suddenly went to near-zero.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Not so, very little profit (if any) is made on the sale and delivery of an engine. It is widely known they are virtually sold at cost as the money is made on power-by-the-hour payments or the lifetime in-service support and spares. So the delivery of the engine is actually a cash drain on the company as all the manufacturing cost is on RR and they do not recoup this investment on delivery, it is over the life of the engine.

Years ago, SQ selected the RR Trent as their engine for their 777 fleet - it was a huge coup for RR as SQ had previously been a loyal P&W. However on the day of the announcement the RR share price nosedived because the city saw it as a huge cash drain on the company in the short to medium term as RR would have to find the working capital to build them and would not recoup that on delivery.

So being the engine of choice on A350 and A330 is not the panacea it might seem.
You appear to be almost saying that RR would be better off if they sold fewer engines. I know (hope) you are not saying that, but that's what your argument seems to be supporting. Perhaps what you are trying to say is that the payoff for RR is down the road... so surely being the engine of choice for the A350 and A330 is a good thing, albeit a little further down the road... and given almost no one is really buying right now, what has been sold will provide cash in the future, and therefor a good thing, right? Or maybe I'm totally wrong on that!

rb211.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by opus99
20+ 777s ??? They dont even have a replacement for those
Do they need replacements? Not like there's much demand anyway.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by KiwiSurfer
Do they need replacements? Not like there's much demand anyway.
certainly not now or anytime soon, the 777 replacements weren't even supposed to come online till 2025, but my thinking was down the line of we don't even know what they are not more-so the availability of them
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by A P Yu
The capacity of the 744 is almost identical to that of the A350
Compared to a Mid-J 747 (which usually flew the CPT route), the A350 has 14 fewer F seats, 4 more J seats, 20 more W seats and 16 fewer Y seats, so a net difference of 10 more premium seats and 16 fewer non-premium seats. That's a pretty good like-for-like replacement, albeit with the loss of one cabin (F).

It gets more interesting with the Super Hi-J 747, where the A350 has 14 fewer F seats, 30 fewer J seats, 26 more W seats and 74 more Y seats, so a net difference of 18 fewer premium seats and 74 more non-premium seats. Whilst not a like-for-like replacement on those numbers, with lower premium demand it makes sense for the A350 to take over some of these historically premium-heavy routes.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Will100
But, no First
As J and W make more profit than F this shouldnt be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.