Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Same issue. I hope they wave that requirement, but so far it looks unlikely. I can make the TP runs inside the US just fine, it is the 4 BA/IB flights that is a problem. With border requirements constantly in flux, it makes planning hard. Hoping for things to get better soon.
There's always the BA 5th freedom flights in the Caribbean, if you really want the BA flights w/o going to Europe.
Blue Skye likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
There's always the BA 5th freedom flights in the Caribbean, if you really want the BA flights w/o going to Europe.
It probably takes more money+time to accomplish 4 flights that way than doing a single RT to Europe.
Blue Skye likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
this is incorrect GS is equivalent to ggl and probably has even more members. A appropriate equivalent to premier would be chairman’s circle.
GS is invite-only.
GGL could be achieved by everyone.

That was what I was trying to mention.

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
It probably takes more money+time to accomplish 4 flights that way than doing a single RT to Europe.
Exactly, those 5th freedom flights are pretty expensive and a US/CA based person could benefit from cheap TATL fares to complete the 4 segments at this time. Some EU countries still doesn't ask for self-isolation/quarantine if you are transiting the UK so it's a good moment to fly at this time if you're pursuing status and would not want to take the crystal ball on whether BA would extend status or not.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Why not just fly IB via MAD to collect some easy four qualifying BAEC membership flights? Do two domestic connectors and two TATL = four flights with only visiting Spain.

FYI: US citizens can visit Spain easily currently.
Blue Skye and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
… just sent the same file as last year (minus deceased members) to the card fulfilment company?
Slightly OT. How does BA know which members are deceased - don’t think it’s priority for any next of kin to notify BA?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Why not just fly IB via MAD to collect some easy four qualifying BAEC membership flights? Do two domestic connectors and two TATL = four flights with only visiting Spain.

FYI: US citizens can visit Spain easily currently.
Thank you for that suggestion. I will have to look at that again. I did something similar last year, but in a year off from flying/planning mileage runs I'm a bit rusty. I'm sure it will come back to me like riding a bike.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I also see the 4 flights as required which is a big problem for me being US-based and Feb year end.
Just offering ideas. YMMV. Good luck.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any idea if or when BA will confirm any further status extensions beyond Dec? I’m a Feb baby and whilst travelling is clearly becoming easier it’s near impossible from now until Jan to reach even the reduced level
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by danboy767
Anyone have any idea if or when BA will confirm any further status extensions beyond Dec? I’m a Feb baby and whilst travelling is clearly becoming easier it’s near impossible from now until Jan to reach even the reduced level
I wouldn’t expect any announcement until at least September.
SuperstarDJ and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Slightly OT. How does BA know which members are deceased - don’t think it’s priority for any next of kin to notify BA?
It's a good question - as membership of BAEC doesn't cost anything, it's likely to be lower on the priority list than anything which costs the estate money - so I guess it's either when mail is returned to sender or if the family would like to make a claim on the Avios (which of course in theory they can't, but I am sure many do try). I am currently running a big change programme for a subscription-based service and the management of such records is high on the agenda at the moment as no company really wants to be applying for payment of a subscription renewal for a deceased member.

I expect every organisation which manages personal data / memberships / subscriptions would need to have a process for managing such issues. I do unfortunately know of the "tell us once" service but I think that's only for government departments to use - I don't know if private companies can pay a fee for their data to be validated against that service.

Anyway, how far off topic are we heading?! Sorry mods....
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
Just offering ideas. YMMV. Good luck.
Appreciate it. Just frustrated because BA is my secondary program so I don't really want to go out of my way to satisfy a requirement that should easily be waived even if they don't extend further. In fact, I am doing two transatlantic trips this year, but decided to avoid booking BA because of the UK situation.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:08 am

Seems to have confused myself trying to figure out my plan for retaining/moving up my BA status.

Currently BA Silver, with TP collection year end date of 8SEP21.

Here are some questions which I am not 100% clear about

1) Is it true, that regardless of if I would fly enough or not to hit the TP/flight thresholds, I will be able to keep Silver to OCT22?
2) If I hit Gold this collection year, would that at a minimum give me Silver to OCT23, right?
3) Am I understanding it correctly that as things stand right now, I won't be able to keep Silver/earn Gold at the reduced threshold for my next collection year (SEP21-SEP22)?

Trying to figure out whether I should try for Gold before the current TP year end, or do it the next year. Will have retained Silver for another year through "natural" flying the past year, but seems that doesn't count for anything unless I go for Gold.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by B747forever
1) Is it true, that regardless of if I would fly enough or not to hit the TP/flight thresholds, I will be able to keep Silver to OCT22?
Yes, your account should currently show the expiry date of 31st October 2022. So you have Silver until then, regardless of what flights you take.

2) If I hit Gold this collection year, would that at a minimum give me Silver to OCT23, right?
Yes, if you step up to Gold, then you would be Gold until at least 31st October 2022, being the remainder of this year plus all of next. You would then be guaranteed the "soft landing" for the following year, where you only drop down one level even if you haven't flown. So you'd be Silver until Oct 2023.

3) Am I understanding it correctly that as things stand right now, I won't be able to keep Silver/earn Gold at the reduced threshold for my next collection year (SEP21-SEP22)?
It gets a little complex, and I've not paid attention to developments in the last weeks so someone please correct me if we'd had formal word on this. The original announcements had everyone returning to full TP requirements from July 2021 members onwards.

However, everyone with a July 2021-22 collection year (including myself) reports that the lower thresholds are still showing in their account, so 1125 for Gold, so it seems likely that you will also get that reduced target. We will know in a few days if the August cohort reports the same.

Trying to figure out whether I should try for Gold before the current TP year end, or do it the next year. Will have retained Silver for another year through "natural" flying the past year, but seems that doesn't count for anything unless I go for Gold.
Indeed, beyond lifetime TP it doesn't count. You currently have the same expiry as if you hadn't flown at all.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
Originally Posted by danboy767
FWIW, I spoke to the Gold line today to cancel a booking and asked about tier extensions. She said that BA were taking a rolling monthly review as and when accounts hit anniversary to make a judgment on extensions for that account. This is the approach going forward rather than a one-off extension. She said they would be proactively communicating rather than members having to get in contact.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marble35
FWIW, I spoke to the Gold line today to cancel a booking and asked about tier extensions. She said that BA were taking a rolling monthly review as and when accounts hit anniversary to make a judgment on extensions for that account. This is the approach going forward rather than a one-off extension. She said they would be proactively communicating rather than members having to get in contact.
Would that mean that with a card expiry date of 30/06/2021 I am deemed as not worth an extension?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.