Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
My year ends 8 Jul. I have received no email from BA, possibly because I currently have no status. However, I expected to change that this fall, and so the question of reduced thresholds is of interest. If I am understanding things correctly, I am in the first cohort to lose that benefit?
Correct.

I'm in the same situation, from the 9th of next month it is (currently) back to full amounts needed
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:45 am

Yes, it’s a shame the reduced tier points aren’t being continued, I was going to make a dart for GGL!

Fingers crossed we hear something in the next week!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I'm also waiting for the reduced thresholds.
If the GGL threshold is down to 3750TP's, I might push it for the first time. Otherwise, I'll consider other airline options when I hit 1500TP's.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:15 pm

I think the fact you and I are viewing it as a chance to sneak into a higher tier rather than requalifying for where we’d usually hit suggests BA don’t really need to be extending it at this point.

I hope I’m wrong, the other argument is July, August, September are unlikely to be normal travel months…
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:08 pm

Come on BA!!!

I get the early qualification through lower tiers but there are lots of us who have spent years with BA status at GGL + CCR that will stand to lose this by Feb because there are no sign of further extension at this point. As it stands there’s no sign of US Asia or ME opening up. BA needs to do something but not holding hope at this point I just don’t see how I can get to 3750 TPs by Jan with no travelling permitted. Surely this is where they should focus?
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
July 2021 year ends sweated it out until March 2021 before the extension came through, so still time for BA to come through for the January 2022 year ends if BA apply the same timeframe as it would be during September 2021 that extensions for the January to June 2022 group would be processed.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BobOnBA
Yes, it’s a shame the reduced tier points aren’t being continued...
I don't know if i'd rule anything out just yet! I do think that it's disappointing that BA aren't being more pro-active about extensions and updates, as the only people they are at risk of alienating through poor communication are (by virtue of their status) their most regular and loyal customers. Regardless of whether Asia and the US open up in the next couple of months or not, a LOT of the big corporate customers will have dialed back staff travel considerably for the foreseeable future. Unless travelling on their own dime (or their own business' finances), many of the previous Gold and GGL travellers won't be able to hit their previous travel and spend levels even if they want to (and are able to with borders reopening). The TP thresholds are a great start, but they need to keep them going for at least another 12 months, as well as coming up with another metric to extend status for longer for those who have been gold/silver repeatedly for a number of years. Truly, what real difference does this make to BA? If the member can't travel, then they won't be using the facilities and "costing" BA Money, and they will be more inclined to remain loyal to BA for the next couple of years if they know their status is being maintained for, say, another 2 years at least. If they CAN travel, they they will be inclined to spend it with BA, and for many of them they will be travelling in a premium cabin anyway, so would have got the majority of the benefits regardless.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think an extension for another 2 years (on top of what has already been given) is somewhat unrealistic. At some point you have to put your bum on a seat and fly if you want status with an airline. We haven't really reached the stage when there are no more extensions, and I personally think those with year ends January to June 2022 will get a blanket extension, but beyond that my suspicion is no more. I did raise this issue back in post 3041.

I am afraid at some point BA will draw a line and this may still be at a stage when your own employer is still reducing/stopping work travel, or whilst your usual routes are still not open.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think an extension for another 2 years is somewhat unrealistic. At some point you have to put your bum on a seat and fly if you want status with an airline. We haven't really reached the stage when there are no more extensions, and I personally think those with year ends January to June 2022 will get a blanket extension, but beyond that my suspicion is no more. I did raise this issue back in post 3041.

I am afraid at some point BA will draw a line and this may still be at a stage when your own employer is still reducing/stopping work travel, or whilst your usual routes are still not open.
Exactly, I definitely agree with this comment.

BA would take action at some point but it doesn't specifically need to be early about 400 days before the first member that would drop status.
I would expect the 25% reduced thresholds for another year to be announced until fall and another extension probably by then or in the winter. It's not realistic to expect something 400 days before the first member drops status with only pure prediction available for the future.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Not disagreeing with either KARFA or ISTFlyer here - I appreciate that BA have enough recovery problems to worry about at the moment beyond large scale extensions - I suppose I am just taking a slightly simplistic view that further extensions might actually cost BA very little in the long run (but appreciate things are never that simple).
KARFA, ISTFlyer and drwook like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BobOnBA
Yes, it’s a shame the reduced tier points aren’t being continued, I was going to make a dart for GGL!

Fingers crossed we hear something in the next week!
I wouldn’t hold much hope that any announcement will be made before September.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:44 am

Well September is definitely better then than never!

It does leave me wondering what to to do with a couple of Avios redemptions I have booked for September/October. With the BA Holidays offer, which I’d be eligible for, i’d certainly almost cancel it and rebook as BA Holidays revenue tickets.

Also travel I’m looking at booking now for the new year would need to be with BA to have any hope.

I think “wait and see” is the best self-advice I can give!
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by efincomputer
I suppose I am just taking a slightly simplistic view that further extensions might actually cost BA very little in the long run (but appreciate things are never that simple).
I think that's very similar to my perspective. If they extend us all but we still don't/can't fly, the net cost looks pretty close to zero. If they extend us and things do open up, the whole hook of the status is to encourage us to book seats on BA (or at least Oneworld) planes, otherwise we can't use any benefits and the net cost is still zero (less postage of a plastic card, if requested)....?
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well we will find out in 10 days' time but it seems that from 8th July I'll be back to a target of 3000 TPs to retain GGL or 5000 for CCR which, considering the routes realistically open to me, is going to be quite a challenge until or unless the US opens up.

I have managed about 750 TPs in the last year and won't actually have ever had a lower TP target to aim for due to the current extensions.

Anyhow, it's been fun and I do understand why BA may decide that enough is now enough and the July year-enders will be the first to fall - actually I wonder whether the loyalty team is even working other than as a very skeleton staff at the moment, especially if most managers are on furlough.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well we will find out in 10 days' time but it seems that from 8th July I'll be back to a target of 3000 TPs to retain GGL or 5000 for CCR which, considering the routes realistically open to me, is going to be quite a challenge until or unless the US opens up.

I have managed about 750 TPs in the last year and won't actually have ever had a lower TP target to aim for due to the current extensions.

Anyhow, it's been fun and I do understand why BA may decide that enough is now enough and the July year-enders will be the first to fall - actually I wonder whether the loyalty team is even working other than as a very skeleton staff at the moment, especially if most managers are on furlough.
It does seem that way at the moment, that's Julys are going to be somewhat at a disadvantage, yet again. Hopefully US and UK will open up soon (after July 21 when US Canada opens) , well maybe.....

We only managed 500 TP in our last year (June).

I'm forever the optimist and sure that BA will address these matters in the months to come. But as said above, I suppose the time comes when they will just stop extending things. A few other companies I deal with (US) have started saying we are all back to 'normal' now.

EDIT (land border I refer US / canada)

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 28, 2021 at 6:05 am Reason: EDIT - Land Border

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.