FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2018386-ba-fleet-developments-unconfirmed-updates-speculation-general-discussion.html)

bmibaby737 May 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Any news on the 777 deliveries?

Will100 May 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E (Post 32406862)
WFH is not a realistic medium term option for most people.
Most people need a work life balance.
Most people can skive on their phones in meetings by WFH.
In our large multi national org, WFH is having a massive impact on enthusiasm and efficiency. Once the economy bounces back to any extent, any job offer that doesn't have human interction and humanity in our days is not something I want in my life and at my level I can pick and choose. WFH means an office or free kitchen, fine if you're comfortable or have children to look after but it's 100% not a serious propostion for general efficiency, it doesn't scale. I have spent so much time trapped at home that I am seriously thinking about moving house when this crap is over, and I sure as Hell don't want my work life and home life overlapping to that extent. WFH enthusisasts are either cost cutters with their own corporate interests at heart or genuine niche / edge cases where it can work well. But most people need to get back out into the world ASAP for the sake of their physical and mental health.

As for Business Travel no longer being so important, fair, BUT if you're pitching on Zoom and the other guy is pitching in person, I know which one is going to have a competitive advantage all other things being equal.

Finally some sense.

The wholesale change people seem to be discussing are unlikely. I too will do some thing different if my job converts to dining room table most days longer term for the sake of switching the lease off at the office.

RB211 May 28, 2020 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TorqueDude (Post 32408102)
Chances of G-ZBLA arriving on saturday?...

Zero.

rb211.

TorqueDude May 29, 2020 1:05 am

Originally Posted by RB211 (Post 32411404)
Zero.

rb211.

:D Now, chances of G-ZBLB arriving before G-ZBLA??? I recon it's about evens!!!

13901 May 29, 2020 2:05 am

Originally Posted by TorqueDude (Post 32412511)
:D Now, chances of G-ZBLB arriving before G-ZBLA??? I recon it's about evens!!!

It happened for the 788s. JB had slightly less faults than JA, so that one arrived. And those were built in Washington state, but people who definitely worked to better standards than Charleston. Boeing went cheap and non-unionised, the outcomes are for everyone to see. I wonder if Alex is taking note of this and drawing some parallels with his own organisation (cough cough the BA app thing he contracted to NIIT and a digital agency. cough couch IAG GBS and its contractors. cough cough Omniserve and DHL cleaning contracts. cough cough FMU in India etc etc).

BA319 May 29, 2020 2:09 am

Well, ZBJB arrived before ZBJA, ill put a pound on ZBLH being delivered first..... lol

Extra Mile May 29, 2020 2:13 am

An interesting point is the fact that the airline has mortgaged its two Airbus A318 aircraft. One was being used to ferry passengers between London City and New York on the airline’s Luxury BA1 flight. The other was acquired by UK charter airline Titan Airways.
Any ideas about the future of BA1?

ISTFlyer May 29, 2020 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Extra Mile (Post 32412598)

It's a prestige route so it would be resuming soon but not before business travel is recovered back to a decent point.

BlueThroughCrimp May 29, 2020 2:26 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32412589)
It happened for the 788s. JB had slightly less faults than JA, so that one arrived. And those were built in Washington state, but people who definitely worked to better standards than Charleston. Boeing went cheap and non-unionised, the outcomes are for everyone to see. I wonder if Alex is taking note of this and drawing some parallels with his own organisation (cough cough the BA app thing he contracted to NIIT and a digital agency. cough couch IAG GBS and its contractors. cough cough Omniserve and DHL cleaning contracts. cough cough FMU in India etc etc).

You'd have thought major IAG shareholder Qatar would have insisted on non-Charleston built planes for BA.

SonicStar817 May 29, 2020 2:36 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp (Post 32412608)
You'd have thought major IAG shareholder Qatar would have insisted on non-Charleston built planes for BA.

With the -10 they don't have a choice, seeing that they are only built in Charleston.

BlueThroughCrimp May 29, 2020 2:45 am

Originally Posted by SonicStar817 (Post 32412620)
With the -10 they don't have a choice, seeing that they are only built in Charleston.

Fair point. I suggest they did have a choice, but still chose a model from a plant a major shareholder wouldn’t take aircraft from.

13901 May 29, 2020 3:14 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp (Post 32412630)
Fair point. I suggest they did have a choice, but still chose a model from a plant a major shareholder wouldn’t take aircraft from.

QR is, in most cases, too extreme. It's their corporate culture: shout, shout and scream if it's the others or somebody below you. Gloss over it if it's affecting you.

I've dealt with QR in Engineering, when working on Line Maintenance. When they started flying B787s to ARN BA supported them, and again in PHL when they flew the 350 there. However, with new planes, there's always a learning curve and there have been a few delays when the computers were saying "@#zq!!" and the engineers were scratching their heads. I'm talking about delays, not cancellations. We had dozens of airline clients at the time and, with all of them, you had a conversation with their office, gather lessons learned, implement them and ensure it doesn't happen again. Yet you had QR screaming and shouting on the phone on how everyone was sh*t, we all were sh*t and so on. At the same time, see Al Baker shrugging shoulders when a 77W ruptures the pressure vessel when hitting the runway lights on take off.

Their culture is the polar opposite of what a good safety culture would be: don't bully, don't belittle, don't scream at others. But work together. Sure, this doesn't mean charte blanche to Boeing (I hear a lot of airlines are complaining and Boeing is giving compensation), but there are different ways to do that.

Schind May 29, 2020 3:50 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp (Post 32412630)

BA ordered the -10s in 2013, way before the issues at Charleston became public. The plant itself only opened at the end of 2011 and didn't send out its first 787 til October 2012.

opus99 May 29, 2020 4:04 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32412589)

SURELY post coronavirus those cleaning contracts have to be changed that will be too bad

fartoomanyusers May 29, 2020 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Extra Mile (Post 32412598)

presumably since they've mortgaged both A318s they must be intending to keep them. if you're actively considering selling an asset, you don't add extra hurdles by including it in a mortgage that you have to unravel soon after.

i'm sure i read that the deal with Titan was that after a couple of years of leasing G-EUNB, Titan would have the option of purchasing it. But I guess Titan must have given up the option (or the original report was incorrect).