Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion

BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion

Old May 25, 20, 8:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster

Arrow BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion

Image credit: British Airways

Welcome to the new "BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion" thread. This is a continuation of the popular BA Fleet : New aircraft arrivals and retirements master tracker thread and has been purposefully created for speculative and more general discussion of this topic. A sister thread has also been established to cater for factual/confirmed updates and information concerning BA's fleet of aircraft.

Related threads:
BA fleet: confirmed information on aircraft deliveries, refurbishment and retirements
BA Fleet and Travel Class Guide
On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway
Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh
LGW & LHR selected 777s go 10-abreast (3-4-3) in Y 2018 onwards
Densified A321
NEOs and a couple of SH changes
Aircraft code 32Q - BA885 OTP - LHR
Travelling on G-MEDN
All the known internal codes for mainline aircraft

Further information and resources:
South Wales Aviation Group BAMC tracker
The BA Source

Last edited by Prospero; May 25, 20 at 9:02 am
Old May 25, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Blue
So Iíll start the ball rolling on the hot topic again .

Has anyone else heard anything from BA engineers about the reconfiguration of the 747? Just wondering if it was truth or just a rumour. I guess it would be carried out at Cardiff where a few 747s are stored anyway.
Old May 25, 20, 9:47 am

A350 orders to be converted to A321XLR to fly LHR-BOS in J & W configuration, no Y or F. MF crews.
Old May 25, 20, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
A350 orders to be converted to A321XLR to fly LHR-BOS in J & W configuration, no Y or F. MF crews.
I assume this is in the speculation category of this thread?
Old May 25, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Wow. Thatís BA really thinking out of the box if true
Old May 25, 20, 10:51 am

Pure speculation.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
Wow. Thatís BA really thinking out of the box if true
It would be interesting if they were. As you say, very outside the box for BA.

I guess I am just trying to ask whether this is just complete speculation, or there is some source/information saying it may have legs - both obviously fine in the thread but it is useful to understand a bit of context as well.
Old May 25, 20, 11:04 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Might be easier to convert the 3 outstanding 321Neo orders to LR or XLR. Especially if it is for one specific route. The LR would be able to do LHR to BOS no problems. Air Transat have used it on LGW to YYZ which is a longer flight.
Old May 25, 20, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by McG View Post
Might be easier to convert the 3 outstanding 321Neo orders to LR or XLR....
Thatís a better idea.
Old May 25, 20, 11:14 am

Will the B779 be classed as a VLA?
Old May 25, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
It would be interesting if they were. As you say, very outside the box for BA.

I guess I am just trying to ask whether this is just complete speculation, or there is some source/information saying it may have legs - both obviously fine in the thread but it is useful to understand a bit of context as well.
I really think this would add some excellent flexibility to the fleet. I am no expert on range (could they make it to the west coast for example), but surely it would make sense to have a hand full of semi-premium (J/W) options for low season or additions where demand peaks. They could serve small
airports for specific events and charge a small fortune for a proper direct Club service where appropriate.

Post CODIV it would be great if BA could position itself to be a real leader in every way, including fleet mix.

This mess will wrong foot many operators, there will be opportunities.
Old May 25, 20, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Blue
I always thought the 4 MidHaul A321s should have been replaced by some A321neos. It would really reduce fuel consumption on these routes.

As for the A321LR I just donít think it fits with BAís model. It is designed to link second tier airports which wouldnít be able to sustain a widebody. BA have shown they can make thinner routes work with the 787-8 and any fewer seats probably raises questions. LHR is (was) short on slots so you want to have the biggest aircraft as thatís the only way to get extra seats. No need to waste a slot on an A321LR when you can use a 777 and get more money flying somewhere else.

I guess post-COVID19 some routes could probably work with a A321LR though - Pittsburgh and Charleston spring to mind as well as the current MidHaul destinations.
Will100 likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Will the B779 be classed as a VLA?
Yes, a Very Late Aircraft!
Old May 25, 20, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Ex VS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Ex Marriott Plat, HHonors Ag, Priority Club Au
Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
I always thought the 4 MidHaul A321s should have been replaced by some A321neos. It would really reduce fuel consumption on these routes.

As for the A321LR I just donít think it fits with BAís model. It is designed to link second tier airports which wouldnít be able to sustain a widebody. BA have shown they can make thinner routes work with the 787-8 and any fewer seats probably raises questions. LHR is (was) short on slots so you want to have the biggest aircraft as thatís the only way to get extra seats. No need to waste a slot on an A321LR when you can use a 777 and get more money flying somewhere else.

I guess post-COVID19 some routes could probably work with a A321LR though - Pittsburgh and Charleston spring to mind as well as the current MidHaul destinations.
You've also got the cargo revenue to think about. Even if the aircraft isn't completely full of pax, with a widebody there is plenty of space for additional hold cargo which will can keep the flight in overall profit.
BAeuro likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Also don't forget that IAG had an initial goodwill agreement with Boeing related to 200 Boeing 737-MAX aircraft.
We still don't have any further information if this would happen but if the MAX aircraft is certified within the next year or two, it seems that we would see 737-MAX's at the BA fleet before A321neoLR's or XLR's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: