Spot the terminal

Old May 14, 2020, 8:42 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,488
Originally Posted by Prospero
Unfortunately it is not dated so I cannot say when it was taken.
Is that a VARIG MD-11 taxiing on 05/23? If so then it can't be any later than July 2006.

There's a distinctive 747 parked up at T1 that I'm sure someone else can identify.
Fraser is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 8:50 am
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Qantas definitely operated its flights from Terminal 4 at one time
The only time I flew Qantas from LHR was from T4.

I remember a VERY old episode of Airport had Kylie Minogue flying from LHR, I am sure it is T4... fast forward to 7 minutes 08 seconds


Last edited by FlyingWelshie; May 14, 2020 at 9:01 am
FlyingWelshie is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 8:59 am
  #33  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 22,248
Originally Posted by Fraser
Is that a VARIG MD-11 taxiing on 05/23? If so then it can't be any later than July 2006.

There's a distinctive 747 parked up at T1 that I'm sure someone else can identify.
Ah yes. The 747 looks like it belongs to EL AL.

The gate modules are sparkling white, so this photo was probably taken shortly after they where painted white (previously yellow)
Fraser likes this.
Prospero is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 9:17 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brussels
Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...and yet the gates were too small to accommodate the passengers for 747s or fuller 777s.
I seem to recall reading that the intention for T4 was that it be primarily short-haul, with rapid TXL-like kerb-to-gate access - hence the design of the building.

Not sure why it then became the focus for BA's long-haul operations, though the point made above re. T1 and domestic/CTA flights could be a part of it. I doubt it would make sense to BA to split its short-haul operations between terminals to such an extent - beyond the handful of short-haul routes which did operate at T4.
aflan85 is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 9:39 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lancashire
Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by Prospero
The gate modules are sparkling white, so this photo was probably taken shortly after they where painted white (previously yellow)
Originally very yellow...

Hedwig is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 11:56 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
T4 was at its best before they put all the shops in. It had vast open spaces, and was light and airy...........apart from that awful walk to some gates..
Now all airports have overly large shopping malls, they are all more or less the same, with all the "character" of Brent Cross. I might exclude Changi and Aswan from that generalisation, but can't think of others.
I agree - it was lovely and then they filled it with shops, removed seating and blocked views.
camdentown is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 12:10 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,416
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I remember a VERY old episode of Airport had Kylie Minogue flying from LHR, I am sure it is T4... fast forward to 7 minutes 08 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ql8EpUSI0
Yes, as I noted in a post above, thats John Cull escorting Kylie.
Genius1 is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 12:56 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by aflan85
I seem to recall reading that the intention for T4 was that it be primarily short-haul, with rapid TXL-like kerb-to-gate access - hence the design of the building.

Not sure why it then became the focus for BA's long-haul operations, though the point made above re. T1 and domestic/CTA flights could be a part of it. I doubt it would make sense to BA to split its short-haul operations between terminals to such an extent - beyond the handful of short-haul routes which did operate at T4.
I think it was the other way around - it was built primarily for long haul as most of the gates were built to accommodate large wide-bodied aircraft. There were only a few gates that couldn't accommodate wide-bodied aircraft (15-21 IIRC) - the gates on the same side as the Concorde Room.
SpeedbirdLHR is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 2:27 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Posts: 5,915
My main memory of it was how you could often wait what felt nearly as long as an AMS flight to cross the active runway to get back to it

I last used it 2 years ago with SU.
CT-UK is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 2:14 am
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,416
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
I think it was the other way around - it was built primarily for long haul as most of the gates were built to accommodate large wide-bodied aircraft. There were only a few gates that couldn't accommodate wide-bodied aircraft (15-21 IIRC) - the gates on the same side as the Concorde Room.
T4 was designed for shorthaul - back then, it was thought widebodies would be the future of shorthaul. The narrow distance from drop-off kerb to gate was intended to move the passenger as swiftly as possible through the airport and onto the aircraft. Most gates had baggage chutes from gate level to apron level, with the intention of many bags being brought to the gate.
Genius1 is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 2:24 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Posts: 2,067
I am too young lol to remember BA pre Terminal 4
I knew Terminal 1 of course and the 2 lounges there for domestic and international
Did all long haul go from Terminal 3?
allturnleft is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 2:50 am
  #42  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 22,248
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I am too young lol to remember BA pre Terminal 4
I knew Terminal 1 of course and the 2 lounges there for domestic and international
Did all long haul go from Terminal 3?
During the years preceding the opening of T5, the bulk of BAs long haul operated out of T4. A small number of long haul routes departed from T1, such as SFO, and MIA went from T3. BA also operated a few European routes from T4, such as CPH
Prospero is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 3:31 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Posts: 2,067
Originally Posted by Prospero
During the years preceding the opening of T5, the bulk of BAs long haul operated out of T4. A small number of long haul routes departed from T1, such as SFO, and MIA went from T3. BA also operated a few European routes from T4, such as CPH
I was asking pre Terminal 4

Where did Concorde go from then and long hauls
allturnleft is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 4:01 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lancashire
Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I was asking pre Terminal 4

Where did Concorde go from then and long hauls
T3

Concorde moved across to T4 when it opened in 1986
allturnleft likes this.
Hedwig is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 4:56 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Posts: 8,130
It was a Lord King tantrum that saw BA move intercontinental services to T4. He wanted the newest terminal to have the flagship services.

Connecting T1-T4 was a drag, always by bus, and luggage frequently didnt make the trip.
BahrainLad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.