Wiki Posts
Search

Spot the terminal

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Spot the terminal

Just looking at the PointsGuy.co.uk and noticed this photo. I am assuming it old as it is full of BA planes and its not LHR T5. I am wondering whether it is the old LHR T1 or T4..... any thoughts?

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/eu-g...spend-refunds/
Old May 13, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The car drop off arrangements are like T4's old ones, but the long long walk for the slf is more like lgw.

I'm sure someone will be along with a proper answer......
Old May 13, 2020, 6:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Definitely T4 with the old Gate 1 lounge pavilion in view behind the parked 767
Old May 13, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Definitely looks like the passenger drop off did at T4
Old May 13, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Prospero
100% correct, the KLM plane also gave it away as they used to use it at the same time.

FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The roof gave it way to me....
Old May 13, 2020, 7:12 am

T4 old school: the 747s have old first and that Sri Lankan plane is a 340...
Old May 13, 2020, 7:14 am

Another angle of the same photo :

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...02?s=2048x2048
Old May 13, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Prospero
If I'm being pedantic wasn't the Lounge Pavilion name used for the setup across from Gate 10 where the Concorde Room, First Lounge and Terraces were?

I think it was just referred to as the Gate 1 lounge since there was only the Terraces there.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC
I never flew BA from T4 so it’s interesting to see these pictures.

Was it a good experience with BA at T4? Why was KLM in T4 with BA?
Old May 13, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I never flew BA from T4 so it’s interesting to see these pictures.

Was it a good experience with BA at T4? Why was KLM in T4 with BA?
I always enjoyed T4 but grew up flying longhaul from there (except a few services such as CDG, AMS, GVA that went from T4 for a long time).so it was always a bit exciting to fly from there for me.

Concorde and First check-in was at a separate alcove slightly offset from the main check-in hall. Club World was adjacent but in the main check-in area. I recall the first times I flew from T4 each flight had its own set of desks. In later years there were combined by class of travel, similar to now.

There was only one security checkpoint in the middle of the terminal with separate Fast Track that lead into the middle of the terminal. There were three main sets of gates, the Victor Zone (which was closest to the perimeter road) well known for epic walks. and two other sets of gates branching off from the central area.

In terms of BA lounges at one end, across Gate 10 was the Lounge Pavilion. On the level you walked in was the Concorde Room and the First Business Suite (a room with computers, photocopiers, fax machines etc.), the upper level was the Terraces lounge and on the lower level was a tiny First lounge and the Molton Brown (later Elemis) spa. There was also a large Terraces lounge with an entrance by Gate 1 that was spread across several floors. No spa in that lounge.
BA5E and BAeuro like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Fraser
I always enjoyed T4 but grew up flying longhaul from there (except a few services such as CDG, AMS, GVA that went from T4 for a long time).so it was always a bit exciting to fly from there for me.

Concorde and First check-in was at a separate alcove slightly offset from the main check-in hall. Club World was adjacent but in the main check-in area. I recall the first times I flew from T4 each flight had its own set of desks. In later years there were combined by class of travel, similar to now.

There was only one security checkpoint in the middle of the terminal with separate Fast Track that lead into the middle of the terminal. There were three main sets of gates, the Victor Zone (which was closest to the perimeter road) well known for epic walks. and two other sets of gates branching off from the central area.

In terms of BA lounges at one end, across Gate 10 was the Lounge Pavilion. On the level you walked in was the Concorde Room and the First Business Suite (a room with computers, photocopiers, fax machines etc.), the upper level was the Terraces lounge and on the lower level was a tiny First lounge and the Molton Brown (later Elemis) spa. There was also a large Terraces lounge with an entrance by Gate 1 that was spread across several floors. No spa in that lounge.
How fascinating, thank you!

I have often heard about the Victor Zone/Pier, does anyone have any pictures of it? It’s not really used much now and always seems a bit of a waste.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
In those days, BA allowed mere Golds in to the Concorde room. I suspect there can't have been too many Golds as there were always seats available. They often had very good wine available. Not the best Puligny Montrachet, but certainly Puligny Montrachet. (I seldom drank bubbly, so cannot comment on its quality)
A rather wordy report, but the photos give a reasonable impression............

The Concorde Lounge
Old May 13, 2020, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
How fascinating, thank you!

I have often heard about the Victor Zone/Pier, does anyone have any pictures of it? It’s not really used much now and always seems a bit of a waste.
The circled area... a long walk

The old CCR was nice enough. you often used to board AMS direct from it when Concorde wasn't there. The old KLM lounge had a great viewing area as well. The F checking zone as nice enough but you had to walk back to the middle of the terminal for security.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 13, 2020 at 12:12 pm Reason: Remove hidden expletive per rule 16
Old May 13, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
In those days, BA allowed mere Golds in to the Concorde room. I suspect there can't have been too many Golds as there were always seats available. They often had very good wine available. Not the best Puligny Montrachet, but certainly Puligny Montrachet. (I seldom drank bubbly, so cannot comment on its quality)
A rather wordy report, but the photos give a reasonable impression............

The Concorde Lounge
I don't think this is correct.

The F lounge was downstairs, J upstairs and the CCR could be used by Golds traveling in F only at one point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.