Spot the terminal

Old May 13, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
It is correct. As a Gold, I was always allowed in to the Concorde room - traveling J normally, and sometimes F. Only once on Concorde. Maybe it changed as more folk received a Gold card? I was Gold for the 90s. One or two years from 2000.
Maybe it changed early 2000s?
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
In those days, BA allowed mere Golds in to the Concorde room. I suspect there can't have been too many Golds as there were always seats available. They often had very good wine available. Not the best Puligny Montrachet, but certainly Puligny Montrachet. (I seldom drank bubbly, so cannot comment on its quality)
A rather wordy report, but the photos give a reasonable impression............

The Concorde Lounge
Is that now the Skyteam lounge? I went into the T4 Concorde Room once, many many years ago but recent visits to the Skyteam lounge seemed slightly familiar as per the position re gate numbers.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I believe so - the downstairs lounge (F) is now the Etihad lounge, and upstairs is SkyTeam. The CCR is the Plaza Premium, I think?
Old May 13, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fraser
If I'm being pedantic wasn't the Lounge Pavilion name used for the setup across from Gate 10 where the Concorde Room, First Lounge and Terraces were?

I think it was just referred to as the Gate 1 lounge since there was only the Terraces there.
The building is called the Coaching Gate Building as it housed two coaching (bussing) gates - 1a and 1b on the lower level (neither are operational these days, as Gate 4 was converted to a coaching gate in 2009). When it opened in 1999, the lounge here (on the gate and upper levels) was branded as a Terraces lounge, but during a refurbishment in c.2004 the Terraces branding was removed and it became the Gate 1 Lounge.

Originally Posted by lloydah
Is that now the Skyteam lounge? I went into the T4 Concorde Room once, many many years ago but recent visits to the Skyteam lounge seemed slightly familiar as per the position re gate numbers.
Originally Posted by BA6501
I believe so - the downstairs lounge (F) is now the Etihad lounge, and upstairs is SkyTeam. The CCR is the Plaza Premium, I think?
The old BA Lounge Pavilion at Gate 10 housed the Concorde Room at gate level, the Terraces lounge on the upper level, and the First lounge on the lower level. In 2009, SkyTeam converted the gate and upper levels for their lounge, whilst the lower level is now the Etihad lounge.

The old BA Gate 1 Lounge now houses the Qatar Airways lounge at gate level and the Plaza Premium lounge on part of the upper level. The other part of the upper level is home to the former Air India lounge, which is currently unoccupied since Air India's move to T2.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I never flew BA from T4 so its interesting to see these pictures.

Was it a good experience with BA at T4? Why was KLM in T4 with BA?
T4 was mostly great when BA were there. It was a big deal at the time and certainly was an improvement to the BA experience.

Flew from there quite a few times.

I remember one time though, whilst going on holiday at the time of the first gulf war time and it took three hours to get through security, so not all good!!
Old May 13, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I don't think anybody answered the "Why was KLM in T4 with BA?" part of BAeuro 's question.
T4 wasn't exclusive to BA although they were the majority carrier there. When I first used T4 I was flying KLM mostly plus also Air Malta and Kenya Airways. I'm pretty sure Qantas was another airline based there. Prior to T5 being built I don't think there was any attempt to group by alliance. I remember IB, AF, AZ, LH, LX and OK were in the old T2, BD and BA were the biggest operators from T1 - all domestic and CTA flights used T1 at this time
Prior to T5 I didn't find T4 great, but I never used BA back then so never used their lounges. The Heathrow experience got better for everyone once the terminal moves were complete.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:59 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by layz
I don't think anybody answered the "Why was KLM in T4 with BA?" part of BAeuro 's question.
T4 wasn't exclusive to BA although they were the majority carrier there. When I first used T4 I was flying KLM mostly plus also Air Malta and Kenya Airways. I'm pretty sure Qantas was another airline based there. Prior to T5 being built I don't think there was any attempt to group by alliance. I remember IB, AF, AZ, LH, LX and OK were in the old T2, BD and BA were the biggest operators from T1 - all domestic and CTA flights used T1 at this time
Prior to T5 I didn't find T4 great, but I never used BA back then so never used their lounges. The Heathrow experience got better for everyone once the terminal moves were complete.
KL and BA at one time were considering a merger. I don't believe Qantas were ever in T4, always T3 but am happy to be corrected.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by BOH
KL and BA at one time were considering a merger. I don't believe Qantas were ever in T4, always T3 but am happy to be corrected.
I found an aerial photo of T4 that shows a QF 747 parked at Gate 3. Unfortunately it is not dated so I cannot say when it was taken.

credit: Andrew Holt / Alamy Stock Photo
BOH likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOH
Qantas definitely operated its flights from Terminal 4 at one time
Old May 14, 2020, 3:35 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes - my flrst flight to Oz was with QF in C in 1998 and the flight definitely departed from T4 and had an intermediate stop in BKK.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
Yes - my flrst flight to Oz was with QF in C in 1998 and the flight definitely departed from T4 and had an intermediate stop in BKK.
This is my recollection as well. I am fairly certain that when I flew out to AKL via SYD in 2009 with QF that it was out of T4.

Whilst the terminal is a bit hazy, the flight and trip is not for it was: my first trip to Australia, New Zealand (and the Cook Islands), on QF (in F) and the A380.

H
Old May 14, 2020, 5:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA and Qantas left Terminal 4 on the same day, 29 October 2009, BA to move mainly to T5, and Qantas over to T3. My guess the photo dates from summer 2008 or 2009 given the colour of the grass.

T4 was never my favourite terminal, it managed to have long walkways in it (the long layout shown in the photo shows why that happened) and yet the gates were too small to accommodate the passengers for 747s or fuller 777s. More recent work by HAL has improved this slightly but if it was left to me I'd demolish T4, truncate 09R and put a short third runway suitable to A320 aircraft, between T4 and Hatton Cross. But I know more about grass than runways.
Hoch and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
T4 was at its best before they put all the shops in. It had vast open spaces, and was light and airy...........apart from that awful walk to some gates..
Now all airports have overly large shopping malls, they are all more or less the same, with all the "character" of Brent Cross. I might exclude Changi and Aswan from that generalisation, but can't think of others.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
Qantas operated from T4 for many years from the late 1990s until 2009. John Cull was the Qantas Airport Duty Manager who appeared in many episodes of the BBC Airport documentary from c.2000 to c.2005, and appeared in scenes which showcased T4 at its busiest.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My guess the photo dates from summer 2008 or 2009 given the colour of the grass.
The photo is pre-March 2008, as all BA shorthaul flights from T4 moved to T5 for opening day. Later in 2008, once more of the BA longhaul flights had moved to T5, HAL (then BAA) started check-in extension works and A380 upgrade works, neither of which are visible in the photo.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Canadian also used T4 back in the late 90's. My first flight from T4 was on a Canadian DC10 to Toronto.

Whilst the Victor Zone was a long walk, I do recall sitting on a bench at the end of the walkway watching planes land on 27L through the floor-to-ceiling window.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.