Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CEO of IAG called to appear before Transport Select Committee : Monday 11 May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO of IAG called to appear before Transport Select Committee : Monday 11 May

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
The MMB refund function should not have been removed. It really shouldn't. Many of the straightforward refunds would have gone through automation, and the backlog would not be so great.

There are however, lots of refund types that do need a human to process. They just do.
Surely the purpose of the button removal was to create the backlog and hold onto the cash. Human intervention on more complex ones I understand. But staff would be more likely available for those if the straight forward ones were automated. I can't think anyone outside of BA management thought the automated refund removal for cancelled flights was a good idea.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I received one of the frequent surveys this morning, one of the things I raised was their poor handling of BA and the bad perception of the brand by the travelling public.

Will be interesting how many people raise the same issue, so they can see just how damaging this is to their brand.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
A layperson could be forgiven for questioning why, simply by pushing one button on a screen, a flight can’t be cancelled and everyone booked on it automatically refunded in seconds.
A layperson could be forgiven for questioning why this functionality used to be there but now mysteriously is not now fit for purpose .....

ba.com has always been able to grey out cancellation options for flights which had 'issues'.

BA is a pillar of virtue compared to easyJet, Ryanair and Virgin ('you'll get your money in 100 days') though so let's not give them a hard time. BA Refund Helper on here has also done an outstanding job.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
BA Refund Helper on here has also done an outstanding job.
You can't blame the frontline staff for this rather unhelpful change to the website.

It's been put in pace by management to preserve cashflow as much as possible.

Both people I spoke to on the Gold Exec number were super helpful, and sorted out both cash and Avios flight refunds for me with no issues. They also gave me a good indication of how long the refund would take to hit my bank account.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
A layperson could be forgiven for questioning why this functionality used to be there but now mysteriously is not now fit for purpose .....

ba.com has always been able to grey out cancellation options for flights which had 'issues'.

BA is a pillar of virtue compared to easyJet, Ryanair and Virgin ('you'll get your money in 100 days') though so let's not give them a hard time. BA Refund Helper on here has also done an outstanding job.
Just because BA might be the best of a bad lot (in what is an unprecedented situation), I don't think this is any reason not to give the company (not the staff) a hard time. They appear to have deliberately made it more difficult for customers to get the refunds they are legally entitled to in order to maintain their own cash situation (which may be understandable from BA's perspective, I would argue that I am not BA's bank).

If I pay Amazon for a product and they subsequently find out that they can't fulfil my order, I get a refund to my credit card without any messing about. I realise that not all refunds for cancellations are simple but the vast majority of direct bookings will be.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
If I pay Amazon for a product and they subsequently find out that they can't fulfil my order, I get a refund to my credit card without any messing about.
You might hope so, but even Amazon can screw up big time, especially when they entrust high value goods to 3rd party logistics outfits like Yodel.

I agree that BA have been unnecessarily obstructive to make their refund process simpler. When you get through to someone it's very easy to get the refund sorted.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke
You can't blame the frontline staff for this rather unhelpful change to the website.

It's been put in pace by management to preserve cashflow as much as possible.
As one of the call centre guys on here has said, it wasn’t only done to make life difficult for customers. There are a lot of customers who would press the button without reading that they’re not getting a full cancellation (if their flight isn’t actually cancelled), which creates more calls later when they complain. At least the way it’s done today agents can warn them first and offer a voucher as an alternative where it’s actually the most appropriate offer.

As much as I love to bash BA, I do have some sympathy with this view - particularly now call wait times have decreased massively from the peak.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ianwall
If only someone had asked WW about status extensions. I'm sure a number of MP's are caught up in the debacle and will be dropping in status because of BA's inaction.
Don’t all MPs automatically get sent a free Silver card by BA on taking office? They always used to anyway.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 13901
Happy to bash BA here... but which company actually does fully automatic refunds, with zero manual intervention - if only to approve it?
Air New Zealand is one
Old May 11, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
BA Holidays are another
Old May 11, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
As one of the call centre guys on here has said, it wasn’t only done to make life difficult for customers. There are a lot of customers who would press the button without reading that they’re not getting a full cancellation (if their flight isn’t actually cancelled), which creates more calls later when they complain. At least the way it’s done today agents can warn them first and offer a voucher as an alternative where it’s actually the most appropriate offer.

As much as I love to bash BA, I do have some sympathy with this view - particularly now call wait times have decreased massively from the peak.
For non-cancelled flights, sure. I can see that argument. For cancelled flights? You have 3 options:
  • Rebook (sometimes available online; I've had one when it wasn't)
  • Voucher (Worth full amount in £ - available online through form)
  • Refund (Worth full amount in £ - must phone)
If you want the third option, you have to phone up and block the phone lines at not only an inconvenience to yourself, but more importantly an inconvenience to those with urgent issues trying to get through.

I have full sympathy for the call centre staff, apart from one who said that rebooking isn't an option until things are more settled (which was resolved when I phoned back to cancel the refund). They do a tremendous job, and they are mostly professional throughout. Whilst I have probably spent close to 5 hours on the phone to BA over the past months (and numerous more trying) is a minor inconvenience, I hate to think that I'm in the queue ahead of someone who is more in need. Could I wait? Probably. But when do you stop waiting?

I'm not looking to just bash BA, they're my preferred airline. I just can't get my head around them purposefully making you phone for a cancelled flight when previously this was available online. That conscious decision made by someone and in all my years of flying BA, probably the thing that has left me most disgusted... I've had my fair share of issues with BA.
tigertanaka likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Happy to bash BA here... but which company actually does fully automatic refunds, with zero manual intervention - if only to approve it?
I got a refund from AA. Filled out an online request with my ticket number and the refund was on my credit card.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I got a refund from AA. Filled out an online request with my ticket number and the refund was on my credit card.
Originally Posted by Keystone
BA Holidays are another
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Air New Zealand is one
Can't quote Air NZ, but I'm confident that both BA Holidays and AA have an approval mechanism. Even in normal times, when MMB's cancellation function was in place, payment had to be triggered by a human pressing "OK".

This doesn't mean that BA was right in removing the button, let me be clear. Personally, I like Ryanair's approach more: done 100% online but clearly saying that the refunds, if one wants them in cash, will be processed in 100 days or so. Not what one wants to hear, but at least it's clear and didn't require me to call 35 times for a voucher (and still I can't access the rebooked flights...).
the810 likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I watched the interview, and it felt like one of the Prime Minister's press conferences. One almost learnt more from what wasn't mentioned to that which was and frankly I'm not sure what the Select Committee set out to achieve but it had all the tensions of a load of wet hens holding court with a fox.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I'm confident that both BA Holidays and AA have an approval mechanism.
That may be the case, but for me with AA it appeared seamless and automatic. I didn't have to call AA, I submitted the online form and a refund appeared on my credit card statement about a week later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.