Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by cauchy
Oh yeah, I managed cooking a fry-up during one of my "meetings" last week. Don't think anyone realised!
Could it be that the current situation has merely served to prove beyond doubt, if proof were needed, that many meetings are a complete waste of time - virtual or otherwise?

If you’re finding enough time to pay your bills or cook a fry-up during a Zoom call, I’d humbly suggest that’s a failure of management - not of the concept of video calls which, when run correctly, can be perfectly productive.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by BOH
My thoughts too, even once in-country restrictions are eased, such as those in Italy, Germany and Belgium recently it will be a long time before travel resumes. Once a country believes it is even slightly on top of Covid-19 the last thing it will want is plane loads of people coming in whose status is unknown.

For airlines this is going to be a long, long process to get back to anything remotely resembling normality, maybe not until a vaccination is developed and proof of vaccination will be a condition of travel.
There's plenty of talk about a Covid 19 passport to allow travel by testing beforehand so this will open up travel sooner than waiting for a vaccine. EU tourism meeting on Monday mentioned this.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
There's plenty of talk about a Covid 19 passport to allow travel by testing beforehand so this will open up travel sooner than waiting for a vaccine.
Most of the talk is of how dangerous and ineffective covid-19 passports would be.

Not least of the concerns is that immunity passports would potentially punish those people who have behaved responsibly and tried their best to reduce their own risk of exposure and that of transmission within their communities, while rewarding those who ignored the rules and contracted the disease.

But, back on topic... it looks very likely that aviation will take years to recover, and in the meantime airlines are going to have to make very tough decisions including redundancies. Their fixed costs are such that even a relatively small drop in revenue makes them unviable. I see other airlines having to make similar decisions very soon.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
Most of the talk is of how dangerous and ineffective covid-19 passports would be.

Not least of the concerns is that immunity passports would potentially punish those people who have behaved responsibly and tried their best to reduce their own risk of exposure and that of transmission within their communities, while rewarding those who ignored the rules and contracted the disease.

But, back on topic... it looks very likely that aviation will take years to recover, and in the meantime airlines are going to have to make very tough decisions including redundancies. Their fixed costs are such that even a relatively small drop in revenue makes them unviable.
Agreed - such a passport would only work if, like Yellow Fever, it's immunity gained through vaccination.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:49 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
There's plenty of talk about a Covid 19 passport to allow travel by testing beforehand so this will open up travel sooner than waiting for a vaccine. EU tourism meeting on Monday mentioned this.
But surely the flaw in this is that it only states at the point in time you had the test that you are free from the virus? Unless it is done for all pax on entering the plane and a result instantly available then what would be the point? Because if you have the test a few weeks / days before travel, anything could then happen in terms of exposure to the virus in the days then before travel. Or am I missing something here?
Crampedin13A, T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by BOH
But surely the flaw in this is that it only states at the point in time you had the test that you are free from the virus? Unless it is done for all pax on entering the plane and a result instantly available then what would be the point? Because if you have the test a few weeks / days before travel, anything could then happen in terms of exposure to the virus in the days then before travel. Or am I missing something here?
No, you're not missing anything. Testing/screening would have to be done at the airport, probably before being allowed to check in
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by surryson
On the contrary. A company drawing down on a Government Job Retention Scheme, whilst preparing to make staff redundant is an interesting approach.
The Job Retention Scheme, unless extended, ends on 30th June, at which point everyone's back on payroll fully at the airline's expense. Consultation with the unions on the scale and apportionment any redundancies requires 45 days, followed by any notice periods that will need to be given to those individuals affected. Now is exactly the time to be starting to plan for what the operating environment is going to look like, needs and can support in the future.

Last edited by southlondonphil; Apr 29, 2020 at 5:17 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:58 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by Swampz64
A friend owns several international businesses, one of which has 4 board meetings a year across the globe, each meeting costs around $100k excluding the salaries of the directors. They’ve held a zoom board meeting during the shutdown and he sees no reason why 3 of the 4 meetings each year cannot be done remotely, they save $300k and staff are not spending two days per meeting travelling.
While there will be some rationalization, as someone who has spent a lot of the past two months on Zoom/Webex/Skype/Teams at all sorts of unearthly hours, online meetings are not the panacea that some see.

Not least of which is trying to find meeting times that suit a majority... eg what time do you schedule a meeting involving UK, Japan and USA (doesn't matter which coast!). Equally, there is a sanity factor - anything beyond two hours (or so) is unrealistic online.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Having consulted at a large business last year that needed to shed around 100 staff out of 500, the selection criteria they generally used were those with less than 2 years employment and those with <3 years to usual retirement. The former group were low cost / low risk to shed because of the UK <2 year rule and the latter group were offered a voluntary scheme. Pretty much everyone with < 1 year to go immediately volunteered and about half of the <2-3 years to retire group so the 100 number was easily met.

Maybe not the most scientific approach but it was the most economical way to do it for the company and virtually no resentment from the remaining staff who saw it as very fair......last in / first out and at the upper end it was voluntary.
I bet they did!

LIFO is a risky strategy if not used alongside other objective criteria to determine who will be dismissed through redundancy.

It's sad when employers look at the cheapest option to reduce their headcount by selecting the low hanging fruit for easy dismissal. I have seen the 'price of everything - value of nothing' option resulting in staff who were productive, conscientious, loyal and definitely an asset to the business, being sold down the river to save a few bob in redundancy payments while the dead wood is retained.

Hopefully BA don't adopt this short- termism option.
Silver Fox and Cerebrito like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
My thoughts are with all the people that will be made redundant. A very unpleasant experience.
Inevitably in a company the size of BA there will be a range of people that this will appeal to, a la CIHY. I hope they can find away to find the people that "want" to go first. I wonder if they would consider re-employing a group of the experienced people to improve service and standards and help training in the years to come, if those people want to do it. Perhaps not the time to think about that.
It will be a tough time for a number of years despite most major governments doing an excellent job of keeping people relatively well funded in the hope of a V recession.
It is terrible to say but it can only be the tip of the iceberg in terms of the aviation industries in general.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by passy777
I bet they did!

LIFO is a risky strategy if not used alongside other objective criteria to determine who will be dismissed through redundancy.

It's sad when employers look at the cheapest option to reduce their headcount by selecting the low hanging fruit for easy dismissal. I have seen the 'price of everything - value of nothing' option resulting in staff who were productive, conscientious, loyal and definitely an asset to the business, being sold down the river to save a few bob in redundancy payments while the dead wood is retained.

Hopefully BA don't adopt this short- termism option.
Each organisation is different though. There was a definite need to conserve cash in this business and this was a key consideration. Hopefully you are not suggesting that thisside is overlooked?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
Oh yeah, I managed cooking a fry-up during one of my "meetings" last week. Don't think anyone realised!
I'm actually on a Skype call now (on mute) so whilst they are all blabbering on about something I can read through FT. Certianly wouldnt be able to o this in a meeting room

ML
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC
This was from LondonSpotter:

1. The three fleets will be closed to create a single, London Heathrow based team. This means that cabin crew will no longer be placed in fleets such as mixed fleet or euro fleet but all be in one team together.

2. To increase ‘operational flexibility’ all crew will fly both short- and long-haul.

3. There will be a new ‘simplified onboard supervisory structure’
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC
I can’t see all that many EuroFleet crew wanting to go from a daytrip to Dublin to a weeks trip to Sydney, especially if they have a family. I guess that’s what BA want to encourage VR.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Each organisation is different though. There was a definite need to conserve cash in this business and this was a key consideration. Hopefully you are not suggesting that thisside is overlooked?
I wasn't suggesting anything other than Irrespective of the 'differences' of each organisation - or indeed the need to 'conserve cash' (which is usually a key factor in any redundancy situation anyway), those 'differences' or other 'needs' should not disregard the requirement to adhere to UK employment law by failing to implement a fair redundancy procedure that should be established in an organisations existing policies and procedures and used when required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.