Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to furlough 36,000 jobs [agreement reached with Unite union]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to furlough 36,000 jobs [agreement reached with Unite union]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I think 80% of something, whatever that is, is better than nothing which, given the circumstances is what would have been likely for a large swathe of the country without the government scheme.

No company should be paying a dividend while this is going on.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
More on the main topic from BBC news - from a long standing crew member

"All we want to do is make sure people have a pleasant journey and a smile, but we're feeling totally undervalued and demotivated," says one BA staffer.

The cabin crew member, who asked not to be named, said they first heard that 36,000 staff would be suspended on TV.

They said that staff were yet to hear any further details of BA's plans.

The airline, which grounded much of its fleet due to the coronavirus crisis, has been negotiating with the Unite union for more than a week.

The two sides have reached a broad deal but are yet to agree on some details.

"We have no idea on who they're going to be keeping on or where they're going to be flying. And most importantly, how we're going to be treated when we come back," the staff member said.

The decision will affect all staff at Gatwick and London City Airport after the airline suspended its operations at both locations until the crisis is over.

Those affected are expected to receive some of their wages through the government's coronavirus job retention scheme, which covers 80% of someone's salary capped at a maximum of 2,500 a month.

Having worked for the airline for more than 20 years, the staff member accused an "aggressive" management team of "sitting in an ivory tower, disconnected with the real problems and what's going on every day."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52130021
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by BOH
It was reported it had been delayed because the UNITE union was insisting on MORE than the 80% furlough pay from BA. What planet do these unions live on?
They live in a world where their membership are highly valuable once this blows over, and you get 0% of what you don't ask for. How long is this furlough compared to Cruz' reported two month pay freeze? How much better can he survive for 2 months than an FA?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I'm sorry but every airline employee knew that this is what would happen to them in the short term. Anyone expecting anything different is deluded and this is from someone who works for an airline and has been recent furloughed on 80% pay. Even though I'm getting 80%, after taking into account I'm not paying for travel and cannot got out anywhere I'm the same or slightly better off cash wise.
UNITE are just worried about people stopping their union subs so they won't get full pay imho.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
BA have announced agreement with the union, no redundancies.
wrp96 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Breaking news per BBC .... agreement apparently reached on the furlough arrangements for BA personnel. No redundancies, and no cap on protected earnings .... apparently .... (?)

edit : missed earlier post
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
An off-topic side discussion on how the UK government will recover the country-wide furlough money has been removed as it was dominating the real purpose of the thread.

By necessity a very broad brush was taken - apologies if your post making other points alongside the side discussion was caught up, but please feel free to repost those points if appropriate.

/mod
adrianlondon and JAXBA like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by passy777
Benefit= You hopefully won't die and you reduce the risk (significantly) of this pandemic going on longer than necessary.
Lockdown flattens the curve and saves lives, but actually prolongs the pandemic (and therefore lockdown). Flattening the curve literally means spreading this over a greater time so as to save as many lives as possible.

@ahmetdouas; you may be interested in this OMNI threadhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...n-process.html - the BA forum really isn't the place to discuss what lives/economy trade off is acceptable.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Deal reached to lay off BA staff

Just read this article RE: BA staff layoff's

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/n...vid-19-crisis/

ML
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:52 am

More details on the scheme just released:

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clien...newsid=1384136

The scheme looks very generous for the average employee - 80% of base salary will be paid with no cap. I would have liked to see this weighted to the lower paid staff, but overall this seems a very good deal for people earning above the cap.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Looks like a brilliant deal in the circumstances, thank you BASSA. XXXX
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
and well done BA too...
krispy84 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Exec
No longer working for BA but well done 👍
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:32 am
Original Poster

As a regular informative contributor (which I know Im and many others are grateful for) I hope you are doing well in light of all this?

If I may ask, are you grounded yet or still braving the skies?

It sounds and looks like this is good news for you and the workforce. Its good hear positives in a lot of doom & gloom. Now lets hope the Gov start actually coughing up these promises, Im sure they will but its not going to be a quick process, having seen it from our own business perspective.
navylad and AJA_ like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:20 pm

Its very good news that nobody will actually lose their job. I wonder will the employed be happy with BA or annoyed - how will it affect their views on the company and management?

I do question the fairness of the job retention scheme though on a business side. Many businesses will need this in order to save jobs and the company, however, companies who are financially secure could also furlough their workers just to save some money and further improve their position.

Now in no way am I saying BA should have kept everyone on because IAG is financially wealthy, I know theyre suffering badly due to CV19. But, surely this is just an easy way to save some money over the next few months, even if the money saved isnt critical for saving the business. Personally I think a company should only furlough its staff if its at risk of failing otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.