Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to furlough 36,000 jobs [agreement reached with Unite union]

Old Apr 1, 20, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I wasnít sure which thread this would be best placed but BBC reporting about suspending staff...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52130021

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESBritish Airways is expected to announce it will suspend around 36,000 staff.

The airline, which grounded much of its fleet due to the coronavirus crisis, has been negotiating with the Unite union for more than a week.

The two sides have reached a broad deal but are yet to sign on some details.

The agreement means that up to 80% of BA cabin crew, ground staff, engineers and those working at head office will have their jobs suspended but no staff are expected to be made redundant.
Old Apr 1, 20, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I saw that and I can’t like it even though I understand it. Too many people adversely affected.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:29 am

I heard that this was the gist of the agreement, but as it went through the board for sign-off it's been modified and they're back to negotiations.If this is it, I'd say that it is better than I expected.
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA to suspend 36000 Jobs

BBC reporting; expected announcement

Hoping to use HMG furlough scheme and not make anyone redundant

All staff at LGW and LCY

How many staff does BA employ?

Announcement has taken a while to surface
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:58 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
BBC Link Posted to the Covid-19 News thread:

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52130021
Old Apr 2, 20, 1:26 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
It was reported it had been delayed because the UNITE union was insisting on MORE than the 80% furlough pay from BA. What planet do these unions live on?
Old Apr 2, 20, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
It was reported it had been delayed because the UNITE union was insisting on MORE than the 80% furlough pay from BA. What planet do these unions live on?
I do understand their point of view. What would make sense would be for people up to a certain salary, BA top it up to 100%. We've all seen how poorly FA's are paid. A 20% drop in their income (on top of income they're not getting from not flying) is much more significant than a 20% drop for someone on a lot more money.

T
Old Apr 2, 20, 1:46 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The same one where BA has generated significant profits up until this point, and where its owner claims to have a large cash pile and was able to return chunks of the profits to investors including a payment of a special dividend within the last 12 months.

We shouldn't underestimate the impact on ordinary workers, earning far from astronomical salaries, for whom even 20% loss of income could be a headache. I don't blame the unions for looking out for their members - that is their job.
Old Apr 2, 20, 2:01 am

I've seen an email from the TU shared by friends. Of course, two sides of a coin and all that, but: according to the email, sent yesterday, no agreement has been signed. An agreement had been reached in principles but then there have been modifications to the text that made everyone return to the negotiating table. As of now I don't think an agreement has been announced by BA or the Unions yet.

Also, another thing to consider: for a Mixed Fleet crew or a junior mechanic half their pay is made of flying allowances or duty allowance. If the 80% furlough pay is on the basic only they could find themselves on around £800/month gross. Sure, some pay is better than no pay, if the furlough is based on basic wage only it's understandable that the TU are trying to increase the wage for those paid less. My guess, of course.
dddc, wrp96, konagirl2 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by toothy View Post
I do understand their point of view. What would make sense would be for people up to a certain salary, BA top it up to 100%. We've all seen how poorly FA's are paid. A 20% drop in their income (on top of income they're not getting from not flying) is much more significant than a 20% drop for someone on a lot more money.

T
this seems very sensible.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
I've seen an email from the TU shared by friends. Of course, two sides of a coin and all that, but: according to the email, sent yesterday, no agreement has been signed. An agreement had been reached in principles but then there have been modifications to the text that made everyone return to the negotiating table. As of now I don't think an agreement has been announced by BA or the Unions yet.

Also, another thing to consider: for a Mixed Fleet crew or a junior mechanic half their pay is made of flying allowances or duty allowance. If the 80% furlough pay is on the basic only they could find themselves on around £800/month gross. Sure, some pay is better than no pay, if the furlough is based on basic wage only it's understandable that the TU are trying to increase the wage for those paid less. My guess, of course.
Those "Furloughed" can get 80% of their average pay, that includes bonuses, overtime etc - thats not me saying that, my better half is doing some as we speak sadly.
13901 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 3:39 am

Considering how they treated their staff the last time they needed them to take pay cuts, i hope the unions are dragging management over hot coals to get this signed.
Silver Fox, wrp96 and James91 like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 5:27 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
If the 80% furlough pay is on the basic only they could find themselves on around £800/month gross.
I was informed by a self employed friend that 80% is based on the average tax paid in the previous 3 months. Not sure if the same applies to other workers or not. Also, some self employed are still screwed as their "income" is low but expenses are high, and at this time, there is no income to sustain their expenses.
13901 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
The real one. With real bills to pay.
Old Apr 2, 20, 5:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
There are plenty of examples out there where companies are furloughing employees and paying them above the 80% that the government is guaranteeing. I am no fan of Unite, but the union is not doing its job if it accepts the minimum from a company that has made very large profits and boasted of its balance sheet.

Not all employers are in a position to pay above the 80%, granted. However 80% of wages could lead to a lot of staff struggling, especially the lower paid ones.

This of course is not to say that they will get what they want.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: