Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But "great offers" is a non-defined, unregulated generic term. I guess Airlines catch the occasional sucker with it.

Qatar tirelessly messages me about its special offer fares, and their final days: they now go straight to junk.
EasyJet currently selling winter 20/21 for max of Ł29.99 each way. Had my eye on some flights to GVA and they’ve definitely dropped since before the offer.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by travellingjake
EasyJet currently selling winter 20/21 for max of Ł29.99 each way. Had my eye on some flights to GVA and they’ve definitely dropped since before the offer.
Yes, I bought a November ticket for MAN Geneva from easyJet at Ł29 each way. Two carry-ons (which brings with it priority boarding and seat reservations) - but no hold bags, no food options, cars or insurance pushed the fare up to Ł92.

BA, LX and LH were in the Ł110-Ł120 range, but U2 was the winner. I can live without lounges, avios and M&M miles, and other frills, for a direct, non-stop flight
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
An intake of BA pilots started this week on.Monday.
These youngsters were employed some 3 months ago. I applaud BA for continuing with their training, but there is no active recruitment at this time, where there were plans for courses all year.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
With all that is going on, holidays are the last thing on my mind is a holiday. However, if the research and planning gives you an occupation then who could condemn it? There is a lovely deal to HNL at the moment, but I have not the heart to even think beyond our Liberation.
Dan72, T8191 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If you were looking for a "deal", I'd suggest looking a few months out (mid-summer) instead of into the winter. As a lot of folks have pointed out, there's little reason for airlines to cut fares on far-advance sales (such as they ever do), especially since there's a risk some routes could just get killed outright or slammed together (i.e. if loads remain low, long-and-thin routes are potentially on the chopping block outright while others might go fifth freedom).
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
I have mentioned potential good deals to Hawai'i for Jan/Feb 21 to my wife but we are equally only concerned about the current pandemic/lockdown at present. She is in a high risk group and our upcoming May holiday to Oregon/Washington will be cancelled, either by BA or by us.

Maui is our favourite holiday destination and a trip there every few years is a serious treat for us.

The seed of the idea of a return to Maui in 2021 is planted, we just hope that the sight of the end of the COVID 19 troubles may come at a time when Europe-Hawai'i fares make the trip both safe and financially feasible.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting thread...

It would be totally foolish for BA to drop prices to try to sell more tickets right now - no one is buying (apart from the OP that is!!!). Why would they try to sell seats at reduced prices that they know they will be able to sell at the normal prices once covid-19 is over? Neither do they know when it will actually be over nor how long it might take them to return to normal ops.

I sympathise with the OP... we cancelled a trip to ORD in April and would like to re-book but I can see no benefit to re-booking while the restrictions are still in place so we are holding off until they are lifted before we look at flights and prices. It is all very frustrating but we have more important things on our minds right now just like everyone else
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
With all that is going on, holidays are the last thing on my mind is a holiday. However, if the research and planning gives you an occupation then who could condemn it? There is a lovely deal to HNL at the moment, but I have not the heart to even think beyond our Liberation.
Of course, there is another side to the coin ... those of us whose lives revolve around planning/enjoying holidays!!

Jersey is a very sweet place, but it gets a bit boring after 15 years living here. Nice enough on a day-to-day basis, but once you’ve done the rounds of castles, WW2 bunkers, Durrell etc it’s a bit boring at our ages. Nightclubs and Gyms don’t feature in our lives, so ‘getting away’ assumes a higher priority. Yes, we have a nice home and good health *cough* ... and food and wine if the Ferries operate normally. But we’re starting to get Island-Fever already!
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by T8191
Of course, there is another side to the coin ... those of us whose lives revolve around planning/enjoying holidays!!
It's just not as fun now. I had an impressive itinerary for my Summer trips (May-July), booked as an elaborate network of singles since this allows us to stopover in more places and see more of the world. It turns out that was perhaps the worst way to travel in the Summer of '20. Now it's a headache trying to patch it all back together.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahopkins767
It's just not as fun now. I had an impressive itinerary for my Summer trips (May-July), booked as an elaborate network of singles since this allows us to stopover in more places and see more of the world. It turns out that was perhaps the worst way to travel in the Summer of '20. Now it's a headache trying to patch it all back together.
Agree completely. We managed a PUJ just before the shutters came down everywhere. We have minimal prospects of recovering MLA, IAD, ANU and CPT for the rest of 2020 ... and indeed no idea where we will be able to travel in 2021.

In our 70s, travel is what we do [did!!] and just can’t even contemplate ‘planning’ [part of the fun]. All we have to look forward to right now is recovering Ł12k+ of forward spend from BA/Insurance. At least I’ve discovered today how to disable Javascript on Mac/Safari, so it will be Refunds instead of Vouchers that may become almost unusable! ✔️

At least we have Health!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
. Jersey is a very sweet place, but it gets a bit boring after 15 years living here.
Funnily enough, that's just what people say about Maui!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops, JERSEY in lockdown. Goodbye, Cruel World.

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/202...-day-lockdown/
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Oops, JERSEY in lockdown. Goodbye, Cruel World.

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/202...-day-lockdown/
Stay positive and stay healthy.

You’ll, like most, will have to find some new hobbies to occupy your time. Like you said you have your health and hopefully all 12K back eventually!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s strange to think that it was only about 5 years ago that we embarked on our ‘travel frenzy’ following our first ‘HNL Gold’. So many fantastic experiences on 3 Continents since then... we are not trying to think ahead, but it would be nice to resume that activity while we still can! But I have been pottering in the garden lately, although it’s not as interesting,

Hey-ho, KBO! 😎
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:06 am

It does seem a slight double standard from BA, they are understandably, if questionably, pushing people to accept vouchers rather than refunds, to improve their cash-flow. Legally anyone whose flight or holiday is cancelled is entitled to a cash refund. Most people on here, are rightly pushing for a cash refund.

I understand the desire to avoid the EasyJet level fire-sales of future inventory, if the cash position is strong enough to do so, though the default issuing of vouchers makes me question how good cash flow is. However, a customer saying I'll take exactly the same trip in 12 months time is being quite reasonable, helps BA's short term cash-flow and gives the customer a guarantee that they're not going to be charged more down the line, it's a halfway house between a voucher and cash refund. If they push people to demand the cash refund, then there is a good chance they may eventually travel with another operator. Anyone taking a voucher expecting the same trip in the future who is then charged an extra few hundred pounds is unlikely to be a happy, repeat customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.