Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs

So my holiday to Antigua was cancelled as you could imagine.

So despite the massive financial risk to me if I rebook it now (no travel insurance for Corona) I thought I would do it early, surely BA would be in no position to up prices seeing as how demand is completely rock bottom. You know, supply and demand.

Anyway, same holiday next year (which again would be a massive risk for me to book now). Is considerably more expensive! Seriously?? I fail to believe there is more demand for a holiday right now than there was this time last year!

Anyone know what is going on? If BA wants to get back on its feet at some point then they would do well to not take the Micky out of the few people waiting to help them.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
They are trying to protect future yield. Demand may be rock-bottom right now, but it might not be in a few months. They are not going to offload a major part of their inventory now in some kind of fire sale I’m afraid. That’s how supply and demand works!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Flights a year ahead are never cheap. Prices normall6 come down around 9 months before. They can’t accommodate personal pricing
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starship73
They are trying to protect future yield. Demand may be rock-bottom right now, but it might not be in a few months. They are not going to offload a major part of their inventory now in some kind of fire sale I’m afraid. That’s how supply and demand works!
Oh well, be an interesting discussion when they are begging the government to bail them out and in the same breath telling the gov that they have put up prices and putting people off giving them money.

Either they accept they aren't in a position to bargain right now or they will collapse. They should be grateful if every £1 offered to them. Or I'll find an airline that wants to stay afloat.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
DId they put prices up? Did you look at the pricing exactly 1 year out before booking your current (cancelled) holiday?
AlanA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:31 am

I’m a simple man, of simple needs and whose brains function with simple logic.

If I want to buy something (a plane ticket, a pair of knickers, a book, you name it) and the price of what I want is high at the place I normally shop to, I either don’t buy it, change retailer or wait. Don’t honestly understand this thread.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by 13901
Don’t honestly understand this thread.
Isn’t the gist of it “I want to take advantage of a global crisis by bagging myself a dirt cheap holiday but nasty BA have seen right through my cunning plan and won’t let me”?

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Supply and demand pricing. Folks who can afford to holiday in Antigua and have had their holiday cancelled will probably want to go there as soon as the travel restrictions are relaxed. They will possibly have missed two of their three annual jaunts by the time this happens and be happy to pay lots to get away. The RevMan folks are therefore offering seats at a price that you will pay.

It is not the demand now but the demand next year that they are pricing for.
Scots_Al, T8191, :D! and 3 others like this.

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
It sounds to me like the OP was motivated by the possibility of a bargain holiday rather than by the opportunity to help BA. Just saying.

Edit:
GumshoeW12 beat me to it and phrased it much better than I did!
mkt, Sealink, 'andad and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:45 am
Original Poster

The Gist of this thread is that BA are in no position to take the proverbial with pricing. they have NO CUSTOMERS right now. To take the micky with those willing to take the gamble and return to them is just ridiculous. The reason I am annoyed? Because I have a complex pension pot and some of it is in IAG. So I'm trying to give some of my money to an airline that is on the brink of collapse and they are making it difficult. of 100% of people that booked a holiday last year, how many are willing to book a holiday right now? when they have no insurance coverage for Covid?? I would bet 2%. So supply and demand would indicate BA should be driving down prices to entice customers back. Virgin are.
PITBULL1K and u01sss3 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:50 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I’m a simple man, of simple needs and whose brains function with simple logic.

If I want to buy something (a plane ticket, a pair of knickers, a book, you name it) and the price of what I want is high at the place I normally shop to, I either don’t buy it, change retailer or wait. Don’t honestly understand this thread.
The things you read on this forum
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Virgin are.
Then book with Virgin!

Originally Posted by BOH
The things you read on this forum
orbitmic, argonath and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The Gist of this thread is that BA are in no position to take the proverbial with pricing. they have NO CUSTOMERS right now. To take the micky with those willing to take the gamble and return to them is just ridiculous. The reason I am annoyed? Because I have a complex pension pot and some of it is in IAG. So I'm trying to give some of my money to an airline that is on the brink of collapse and they are making it difficult. of 100% of people that booked a holiday last year, how many are willing to book a holiday right now? when they have no insurance coverage for Covid?? I would bet 2%. So supply and demand would indicate BA should be driving down prices to entice customers back. Virgin are.
Well I have booked for Christmas and Easter at a price I am happy with so I guess I am in the 2%.

If you want to guarantee you have seats on the flights you want book as a BA holiday now and pay your deposit only, if your prediction is right and nobody else is booking closer then the prices may drop simply cancel and book the cheaper price. If they don't drop then only you can decide if the price now is too much for you.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:56 am

At this moment BA is unsure of how many flights they will be able to operate when this is over. Many Pilots are going out of recency and line check. The training task required to get everybody back to line flying is colossal . That is without training any new Pilots to fill vacancies left by those who retire or lose their medicals.
The training task will take many months to get back to where we were. During that time BA will not be able to just go back to a full schedule.
No wonder they are being cautious about what they sell.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
This is a very strange thread. BA is doing whatever it needs to to survive commercially, as are all businesses. Their prices for next year will be set at exactly the level at which their analysts think gives them the best chance of doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.