Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
So my holiday to Antigua was cancelled as you could imagine.

So despite the massive financial risk to me if I rebook it now (no travel insurance for Corona) I thought I would do it early, surely BA would be in no position to up prices seeing as how demand is completely rock bottom. You know, supply and demand.

Anyway, same holiday next year (which again would be a massive risk for me to book now). Is considerably more expensive! Seriously?? I fail to believe there is more demand for a holiday right now than there was this time last year!

Anyone know what is going on? If BA wants to get back on its feet at some point then they would do well to not take the Micky out of the few people waiting to help them.
You're making a mistake thinking that S&D for a year from now is the same as during this crisis, they have a year to get customers and will no doubt succeed. Also absolute haha at your "If BA wants to get back on its feet at some point then they would do well to not take the Micky out of the few people waiting to help them", as if they deserve or care about your 'help'.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by jay121
i seem to be (maybe the only one) who is with OP on this. From my understanding OP isn't saying that they want a cheap holiday deal but expect the price to be similar to when they tried to book it before the crisis. BA currently is running out of cash quickly and has already reached out to the government for a potential bail out (beyond the guaranteed credit line the government has already extended to them and virgin which is not free..). I think people on this thread would have a very different opinion if a person requested more money from their employer, their employer said no and no longer hired them so instead the government gave them the money they wanted. But that is effectively what BA is doing.

Believe it or not we are going into at least a few months if not years where people will have less money and companies will cut back on unnecessary expense e.g. some corporate travel. BA will not see as much demand and should therefore be welcoming business. If a holiday to Antigua was profitable to them last year at lets say £2000 why are they no longer willing to to do it at that price? Even though oil prices are lower and hotels have empty rooms.

The thing is that you seem to be making the in my opinion false assumption, that you can easily book the same package holiday or flights each year and get relatively the same price easily. Ultimately the price of flights and hotel will depend on A) how far ahead/ when you book B) what prices BA offer for fares and the rooms and price the hotel are offering C) what is actually available based on demand from what they are offering.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Anonba
The thing is that you seem to be making the in my opinion false assumption, that you can easily book the same package holiday or flights each year and get relatively the same price easily. Ultimately the price of flights and hotel will depend on A) how far ahead/ when you book B) what prices BA offer for fares and the rooms and price the hotel are offering C) what is actually available based on demand from what they are offering.
Exactly, and fares one year out have never been a great deal.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
With the number of flights operating and the number of pilots needed to be current right now?
The simulators are primarily used for Licence renewal and re-training. As pilots go out of recency and line check there is insufficient simulator capacity to keep everybody able to line fly. This will require a huge task once this shutdown is finished and will require months not weeks to get everybody back on line.
There are still Pilots retiring that need to be replaced. This is also not happening.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
do you have a link to the crowdfunding please
PM sent.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
another strange comment.

on what basis do you suggest this? are BA suddenly getting rid of a load of planes?
As has been mentioned upthread if/when things normalise there might be not enough pilots current to fly the routes that BA need and there’s only so much sim training that can be done.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
EasyJet have just emailed me with “great offers” into 2021 so not all airlines are acting the same.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
EasyJet have just emailed me with “great offers” into 2021 so not all airlines are acting the same.
Nothing new here. Each airline will have its own business plan, objectives, strategy and tactics. The ‘great offers’ from EasyJet are their tactics to implement their strategy and meet their objectives.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Nothing new here. Each airline will have its own business plan, objectives, strategy and tactics. The ‘great offers’ from EasyJet are their tactics to implement their strategy and meet their objectives.
Well quite, I’m not getting involved in the argument. I just wanted to show in reality one airline is acting how the OP had thought they ought to.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I just wanted to show in reality one airline is acting how the OP had thought they ought to.
The fact that easyJet calls them "great offers" doesn't necessarily mean that they are. How do these offers compare with similar offers at this time last year, or the fares available two months ago?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Misco60
The fact that easyJet calls them "great offers" doesn't necessarily mean that they are. How do these offers compare with similar offers at this time last year, or the fares available two months ago?
I get "sale" emails from EK/QR every few weeks. There are generally no changes to the normal pricing.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
But "great offers" is a non-defined, unregulated generic term. I guess Airlines catch the occasional sucker with it.

Qatar tirelessly messages me about its special offer fares, and their final days: they now go straight to junk.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:48 am

Correct I didn’t check to be fair.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by rapidex
The simulators are primarily used for Licence renewal and re-training. As pilots go out of recency and line check there is insufficient simulator capacity to keep everybody able to line fly. This will require a huge task once this shutdown is finished and will require months not weeks to get everybody back on line.
There are still Pilots retiring that need to be replaced. This is also not happening.
An intake of BA pilots started this week on.Monday.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Isn't this about changes which require you to pay the fare difference, even if no change fee. If only full fare is available that's extra cash and if you don't change or forget to use your voucher, then that's extra cash too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.