Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (KL/AF) Platinum, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
When are you travelling? And what ideally do you want to do now?
Sunday. Ideally prefer refund over voucher.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hsumh316
What is the longest you can wait after the the first flight is cancelled before contacting BA for a refund?
Up to six years if you are based in the UK. In other parts of Europe it can be 4 years.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Starlit Sea
Sunday. Ideally prefer refund over voucher.
If there are no other sectors on your ticket, only the cancelled flight, then you don't need to rush anything. Moreover the voucher offer does not apply if you are part way through your trip. Your only two options are rebooking and an involuntary part refund. The only urgent reason for calling is if you are actually flying, the refund will still be open to you for up to 4 or even 6 years, depending on where you live. If there are other sectors you don't want to be a no show for them.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Iberia Plus
Hi, I am on a 125 ticket but one of the legs is operated by AA from LHR to ORD. According to aa.com al flights from between LHR and ORD are cancelled until May, but the flight still shows as operating in my reservation. Any clue when AA will cancel? How long does it take until it reflects into the BA booking system? I am worried that they won't cancel the flight until after the first flight of the reservation and I will be forced to get a voucher and not a refund.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've just logged into my account and discovered that my BA19 LHR-KIX is cancelled on 26th April although not yet my return from HND 10 days later. I've had no email and the options in MMB are the same which most people here have had with a request not to call unless I'm travelling in the next 72 hours. In a way I'm quite sad as Japan seems to becoming safer for Covid-19 but realistically it's extremely unlikely that I could have travelled and I'm relieved that I'll be able to get a refund (eventually!).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AdamUK
Is anyone able to see if BA7403 (QF35) is still operating next Thursday 26th please? Cannot see any availability now via Skyscanner, but not showing cancelled yet in my booking.

I am booked on it in Premium MEL-SIN and then SIN-HKG-LHR in premium/WT+ on the 28th.

I emailed Carlton Travel who said everything running so would cost me £600 fare difference to ditch SIN altogether and fly SYD-SIN-LHR in one go.

If the QF flight does get cancelled MEL-SIN, is it reasonable to ask to be rebooked MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR straight through, or will they just insist on trying to get me to SIN in time for the other flights?
I've tried to keep on top of this thread, as has the Hawk but with so many posts it is possible that someone hasn't had a good answer yet or indeed things have changed since their post went up. So feel free to prod this thread if you think you've been overlooked. Apologies if this has happened to anyone.

Nudge here 👋

Update - just woken up here to find MEL-SIN cancelled. It’s booked BA code share on QF35. No email yet - just vanished on MMB.

Need to email Carlton, what would people suggest? I’ve also seen an option with Cathay MEL - HKG Arrive at 21:45 on the 28th that in theory connects with 23:45 BA HKG-LHR I’m still booked on 28th. While seems reasonable, I’d have to pay 2 nights hotel in Melbourne still.

TIA for any advice.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I have a BA ticket SJC-LHR-EDI in mid-April, booked through US Amex IAP online (which I think means Expedia). I upgraded the long haul segments with Avios via phone with BA and subsequently paid a seat selection fee for one segment. Three of the four segments have now disappeared from the booking on both the Amex and BA websites, presumably because they've been canceled, but no email from either Amex or BA and no apparent way to request a refund online. Questions: (1) Any reason to worry about the lack of communication or the segments disappearing rather than showing as canceled, or is it safe to just hold tight and wait to get it sorted? (2) I understand I'll need to call Amex, not BA, to cancel and refund, but will that also trigger a refund of the Avios, fees/taxes on the upgrade, and seat fee, or will I need to call BA for those? Many thanks.

Last edited by WrightHI; Mar 19, 2020 at 2:50 pm Reason: typos
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:46 pm

I have just had a domestic cancelled for next Tuesday, if I opt for a voucher refund will the avios I used as part pay be automatically refunded back into my baec account ,

TIA
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (KL/AF) Platinum, CX MPC Silver
If there are no other sectors on your ticket, only the cancelled flight, then you don't need to rush anything. Moreover the voucher offer does not apply if you are part way through your trip. Your only two options are rebooking and an involuntary part refund. The only urgent reason for calling is if you are actually flying, the refund will still be open to you for up to 4 or even 6 years, depending on where you live. If there are other sectors you don't want to be a no show for them.
No sectors flown. Outbound not showing as cancelled, only the return. Was told by agent both cancelled but outbound still showing in my bookings as live. I then received an email saying outbound cancelled and "You have been rebooked onto the best alternative flight below:" the best alternative is the same cancelled outbound flight!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:06 pm

Our TLV outbound award flight was cancelled so I rang ba holidays as wanted the cash back and to cancel our hotel which was through ba holidays on a seperate booking.
Waited about 5 to 10 minutes on UK number and the very helpful lady saw we obviously couldn't stay in the hotel without getting there so agreed to refund the lot. The return leg wasnt actually cancelled but obviously cant have a return to a non existent outbound.
I dont know if it was just luck but I rang main ba holiday number about 915am if people want to try to get through.
Refund back to amex in about 10 days I was told.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by AdamUK
Need to email Carlton, what would people suggest? I’ve also seen an option with Cathay MEL - HKG Arrive at 21:45 on the 28th that in theory connects with 23:45 BA HKG-LHR I’m still booked on 28th. While seems reasonable, I’d have to pay 2 nights hotel in Melbourne still.
If' it's a BA ticket then yes Carlton should liaise with BA (and they have excellent contacts) to rearrange in some form or another. BA and Qantas won't be able to touch the ticket, so all paths lead to Carlton at this stage. You're beyond the scope of EC261 on this too, since Qantas is the operator, so it will be down to their policies or insurance if you have to stay over longer.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: *A
I have a BA flight which was just canceled, booked through an OTA. On the same ticket I have another leg with another airline which has not been canceled. Will I be able to change all the flights to a later date, or only the BA operated ones?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm

Help

Really Hope u can give advise as I’m stuck

Booked a non refundable flight through an online travel agency

BA have cancelled my flight which is fine from reading online I see I’m entitled to a full refund back onto my original payment method , online agent have cancelled my booking however will refund me in full minus an in-house admin fee.

They advised I have to wait 12 weeks for them to process the refund , no cancellation invoice has been sent to me , however received email to say will be refunded minus admin fee

Sorry I don’t understand the airline jargon however i called BA they advised that the agency have already refunded the tickets through the GDS already.

Can the agent not refund me straight away , they say it takes 12 weeks for the airline to respond to the refund however BA say it’s already been done

Any advise u could give would be appreciated

Concerned I’m being fobbed off and will never get my money which is £1.5k read online that this company often doesn’t refund pax
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Called up and got my avios flight refunded ( inc the £35 fee as it was cancelled )

the 2 41 was given and extension of 6 months ( not there yet) and he mentioned they were also extending Guf2 vouchers ( not that I have one !)

hope useful to others. The operator was charming.
Hawk777 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bcortex
Really Hope u can give advise as I’m stuck

Booked a non refundable flight through an online travel agency

BA have cancelled my flight which is fine from reading online I see I’m entitled to a full refund back onto my original payment method , online agent have cancelled my booking however will refund me in full minus an in-house admin fee.

They advised I have to wait 12 weeks for them to process the refund , no cancellation invoice has been sent to me , however received email to say will be refunded minus admin fee

Sorry I don’t understand the airline jargon however i called BA they advised that the agency have already refunded the tickets through the GDS already.

Can the agent not refund me straight away , they say it takes 12 weeks for the airline to respond to the refund however BA say it’s already been done

Any advise u could give would be appreciated

Concerned I’m being fobbed off and will never get my money which is £1.5k read online that this company often doesn’t refund pax
unfortunately will depend on terms of contract with your travel agent and what the clauses say yo them about processing refund time and also if they take and admin fee too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.