Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk777
call up now on us number or early tmrw and might be able to cancel the voucher as probably not been processed yet but will have to be quick

Thanks for your help (and quick reply)!

I just tried the US number but got cut off after being told “Due to heavy call volume, your call can not be completed at this time”.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Is anyone able to see if BA7403 (QF35) is still operating next Thursday 26th please? Cannot see any availability now via Skyscanner, but not showing cancelled yet in my booking.

I am booked on it in Premium MEL-SIN and then SIN-HKG-LHR in premium/WT+ on the 28th.

I emailed Carlton Travel who said everything running so would cost me £600 fare difference to ditch SIN altogether and fly SYD-SIN-LHR in one go.

If the QF flight does get cancelled MEL-SIN, is it reasonable to ask to be rebooked MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR straight through, or will they just insist on trying to get me to SIN in time for the other flights?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
I want my cash back and not a "Future Voucher"

Hi all

Given BA have cancelled a lot of flights with this awful Covid-19 virus, many of my bookings have been cancelled.
If you follow the MMB workflow, you end up with a form to claim back a Future Travel Voucher,.
Given BA is hardly a going concern at the moment, I would actually like my cash back. How can I do this without going through the overloaded call centres?

Any advice most welcome!

Thank you and be safe!!

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 19, 2020 at 3:29 am Reason: Terminology updated
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
It's a repeated question - for a refund you will currently need to call.

If the matter is not urgent, obviously please wait to reduce load on call centres. If it is urgent, you will simply need to keep trying (With that said, the Gold line picked up within 15 mins for me a few days ago)
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
I'm booked on BA274 LAS-LHR on the 26th March. This morning, the Flight Status page shows it as cancelled but MMB is still showing it as going. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to filter through?

My outbound is tomorrow to LAX but that is still flying and I want a cash refund - also a bit more complicated, it's booked through Iberia - would that update when BA MMB updates so i can call for a refund?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
check HfP for the workaround
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:31 am

HFP reports a workaround to get a cash refund on a cancelled fight.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...google-chrome/

Once you are on the consent page, fill in the fields but do not click to continue, disable javascript, click to continue, you'll be offered the refund.

Then you can re-enable javascript and continue.

I just used this to get a refund on our TLV flights that have just been cancelled by BA, it worked perfectly, I have already received the confirmation email.

Edit: btw you do not need Chrome to do this, as long as you can disable javascript it should work, I used waterfox as I have that browser set up to easily enable/disable scripting.
JustTheOne and Hawk777 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sungod
HFP reports a workaround to get a cash refund on a cancelled fight.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...google-chrome/

Once you are on the consent page, fill in the fields but do not click to continue, disable javascript, click to continue, you'll be offered the refund.
I don't think this works for Avios bookings that have already been cancelled by BA, because the "Cancellation options for this booking" link has been disabled and I can't get to the Consent screen.
Joeykins likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:01 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I don't think this works for Avios bookings that have already been cancelled by BA, because the "Cancellation options for this booking" link has been disabled and I can't get to the Consent screen.
The same applies to a (non-Avios) booking I've been looking at -- a flight has been cancelled and all options at the bottom right of the MMB page are greyed out. The only online route to cancellation is the red button nearer the top of the page, which takes you to the voucher request page.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Apologies if this question has already been asked and I've missed the answer.
Trying to change our Helsink flights on line from this weekend to a later date in September. Message appears saying date selected is more than 365 days from when booking was made.
Is this an error or feature. Booking was made last July so does that mean we cant rebook after July.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
That's normal for the fare rules. You can work around it by requesting a voucher which will be valid up to 365 days from the date of the outbound flight, and then use that voucher to rebook.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Joeykins
That's normal for the fare rules. You can work around it by requesting a voucher which will be valid up to 365 days from the date of the outbound flight, and then use that voucher to rebook.
Thank you. I was expecting the date to be from date of original flight.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:06 am

cancelled flight- rebooking issues

My flight to LCY from PMI has been cancelled. Trying to rebook for later in the year. On searching flights it shows loads of availabilty byt going through the rebooking on line there are very few flights it allows me to choose. Does anyone know why this might be? Is it to do witth needing to be in same fare bucket?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:35 am
Suspended

New system implanted for CALL centres. The request to call only if travelling in 72 hours is now basically a policy anyone calling and getting through not travelling in 72 hours will not be dealt with and asked to call back.

the phone message is being updated to say this to save people hanging on
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hawk777
New system implanted for CALL centres. The request to call only if travelling in 72 hours is now basically a policy anyone calling and getting through not travelling in 72 hours will not be dealt with and asked to call back.

the phone message is being updated to say this to save people hanging on
It would help / reduce a lot of calls if the website allowed cancellation and refunds online as opposed to defaulting to the voucher. Appreciate you said this has already been raised with Seniors, but hopefully they will bring this in sooner than than later?

Good luck out there and thanks for all your continuous input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.