Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Tullstr
Booking was made in April for a December flight. The agent said they would have to get revenue to release the seats (which is no guarantee and could take 48hrs) rather than just rebook the flight. Seems wrong to me... worth trying another agent.
Agree, no issue with dates there so try again!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tullstr
Booking was made in April for a December flight. The agent said they would have to get revenue to release the seats (which is no guarantee and could take 48hrs) rather than just rebook the flight. Seems wrong to me... worth trying another agent.
It is. I don't see why the current policy to allow rebooking regardless of reward availability wouldn't apply?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32809399-post18.html
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
It is. I don't see why the current policy to allow rebooking regardless of reward availability wouldn't apply?

Had a connecting award flights cancelled by BA. They said it was due to operational reasons so I was only allowed to move to dates within ticket validity AND award availability unless it was -3/+14 days. Is that right?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hsumh316
Had a connecting award flights cancelled by BA. They said it was due to operational reasons so I was only allowed to move to dates within ticket validity AND award availability unless it was -3/+14 days. Is that right?
how much notice did you get for the cancellation? if less then 14 days if they are claiming it is operational and not coronavirus my reply would be great now you admitted it isn't to do with coronavirus where do i collect my compensation? if more than 14 days then i am not aware of any cancellations BA are doing weeks/months ahead which aren't due to coronavirus, what operational reasons are they referring to?

i think all the cancellation codes of OMN, OPEN and COVN should be included. it sounds like you got an agent with a particularly narrow view of the policy tbh - i am not aware of any cancellations BA are doing weeks/months ahead which aren't due to coronavirus.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is the connecting flight on BA metal?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:20 pm

how much notice did you get for the cancellation? if less then 14 days if they are claiming it is operational and not coronavirus my reply would be great now you admitted it isn't to do with coronavirus where do i collect my compensation? if more than 14 days then i am not aware of any cancellations BA are doing weeks/months ahead which aren't due to coronavirus, what operational reasons are they referring to?

i think all the cancellation codes of OMN, OPEN and COVN should be included. it sounds like you got an agent with a particularly narrow view of the policy tbh - i am not aware of any cancellations BA are doing weeks/months ahead which aren't due to coronavirus.
No notification that I could find, I found it just looking in manage my booking. So I am not sure when they cancelled. I usually get both an email and a text but got neither or I just cant find it. No reasons given, they just said it was operational reasons why it does not fall under the covid policy. I was due to fly from LAX to AMS on November 20 and return on the 29th. I spoke to both a gold line agent and also a you first agent.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is the connecting flight on BA metal?
Yes. all on BA metal.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Hi

My wife and daughter were originally due to fly 20th November in World Traveller Plus on BA10 (BKK>LHR). The flight was cancelled and we rebooked for 4th December. I received another Email to say this flight is also cancelled. After ringing up BA, they have offered me WTP from Bangkok to Doha but Economy from Doha to LHR, obviously this flight is now indirect. I asked for compensation as they downgraded the second leg but they won't budge.
I paid a premium for both of them to travel direct which is now not happening and am now not getting the service I paid for. I get these are difficult times but surely they should be offering something as compensation whether it's cash, avios or an upgrade on the first leg to business? I said I will get back to them to discuss but I am half tempted to cancel the whole booking with them and book another flight with one of the ME carriers.
Are there any other options ?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No notification that I could find, I found it just looking in manage my booking. So I am not sure when they cancelled. I usually get both an email and a text but got neither or I just cant find it. No reasons given, they just said it was operational reasons why it does not fall under the covid policy. I was due to fly from LAX to AMS on November 20 and return on the 29th. I spoke to both a gold line agent and also a you first agent.
I can't see why this is a problem, they should be able to rebook you within a year of initial booking in my view, unless there is some other factor involved. That said, it should not be too difficult to find reward availability at the moment, from a quick look at LAX-LHR and LHR-AMS. I guess you could accept the CW option and then try and pursue BA for the downgrade reimbursement after travel, if they can't find a better option for you.
hsumh316 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
My wife and daughter were originally due to fly 20th November in World Traveller Plus on BA10 (BKK>LHR). The flight was cancelled and we rebooked for 4th December. I received another Email to say this flight is also cancelled. After ringing up BA, they have offered me WTP from Bangkok to Doha but Economy from Doha to LHR, obviously this flight is now indirect. I asked for compensation as they downgraded the second leg but they won't budge.
You should be able to claim downgrade reimbursement using the Menens formula, which you will find explained in the Wiki of the EC261 thread. You can only claim this after travel, however. This won't amount to a big refund but it should be a fairer outcome. Contact centre agents tend not to know about Menens, so I'm not surprised they refused to take it further. But, yes, the alternative is a full refund and you make different arrangements.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:49 pm

You should be able to claim downgrade reimbursement using the Menens formula, which you will find explained in the Wiki of the EC261 thread. You can only claim this after travel, however. This won't amount to a big refund but it should be a fairer outcome. Contact centre agents tend not to know about Menens, so I'm not surprised they refused to take it further. But, yes, the alternative is a full refund and you make different arrangements.
Thanks for the reply. So if I accept their offer, I can still claim under EC261 or by accepting their offer have I forfeited the right to claim ?
Do I claim after the first flight or have to wait to claim once they have travelled back to Thailand?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
Thanks for the reply. So if I accept their offer, I can still claim under EC261 or by accepting their offer have I forfeited the right to claim ?
Do I claim after the first flight or have to wait to claim once they have travelled back to Thailand?
Unless BA can offer you a WTP / Premium Economy alternative on the date in question then it's not as though you have a choice. Having said that, I would expect you to need to claim via CEDR since I can't see BA paying you voluntarily. They tended not to do so before the pandemic (and often lost cases in MCOL and CEDR as a result). I would also have suggested you claiming compensation for not giving you 2 weeks notice, if Thailand's restrictions on BA's operations are of longer duration. You best claim after all flights are completed, since the formula relates to the fares involved and it gets too complicated if (for example) you subsequently amend the return date.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Thanks KARFA and flashware for the help. All rebooked with another agent with no issue at all.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:11 pm

Unless BA can offer you a WTP / Premium Economy alternative on the date in question then it's not as though you have a choice. Having said that, I would expect you to need to claim via CEDR since I can't see BA paying you voluntarily. They tended not to do so before the pandemic (and often lost cases in MCOL and CEDR as a result). I would also have suggested you claiming compensation for not giving you 2 weeks notice, if Thailand's restrictions on BA's operations are of longer duration. You best claim after all flights are completed, since the formula relates to the fares involved and it gets too complicated if (for example) you subsequently amend the return date.
Thanks for your help. Its very much appreciated.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:41 pm

I can't see why this is a problem, they should be able to rebook you within a year of initial booking in my view, unless there is some other factor involved. That said, it should not be too difficult to find reward availability at the moment, from a quick look at LAX-LHR and LHR-AMS. I guess you could accept the CW option and then try and pursue BA for the downgrade reimbursement after travel, if they can't find a better option for you.
Apparently, one of the flights i wanted to switch to did not have availability so picked the earlier with availability and picked a flight with availability the day after i wanted to return. It is during peak season as i had moved flights to end of august to beginning of September. Not ideally what i wanted.

thanks for the help!
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:23 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Looks like FRA-LHR BA was just canceled for my 12 Dec date, meaning I probably need to either overnight in FRA or LHR.
I had KRK-LHR-ORD booked on the 13 Dec. Changed to KRK-FRA-LHR-ORD on the 12th Dec (LH/BA/BA).
What other options do I have? I don't see them rebooking me on KL or LO, and out of KRK there is only the 7AM LH to FRA, with 840AM arrival. Out of FRA to LHR, it's 8AM or 4PM or 930PM. So I would either need to overnight in LHR or FRA....

Last edited by jason8612; Nov 18, 2020 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.