Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, FTVs can be computed on into other currencies using the usual IATA rates.
Thank you C-W-S.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:07 am

BA Holiday rebooking

I have a BA holiday in September 2020 with flights and one night stay at a hotel. It is highly likely that BA will cancel the flight portion. I am aware that I should get a full refund.
However can I rebook for free it to early 2021 rather than get a refund? The flight and seats are available but are £1000 more expensive per person if I make a new booking and I don’t want to spend that!!!
Also that will be outside of the 12 months from booking date for the flights since I bought this on the sale end of 2019. Will this matter since this is not a flight only booking?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Hi, hope all is well
Am I missing something

I have a flight cancelled tomorrow (25th) from MEX-LHR-CDG and return in July

I called to move to Xmas and they said I can not dpo that because the original ticket was paid for on 3rd December 2019, so I'd have to depart within 12 months of that date. This sounds odd. I don't want the voucher as flights at that time are 300-400 USD more expensive.

Any ideas if I am being fobbed off or if this is genuinely the case.

BW
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dselvan
I have a BA holiday in September 2020 with flights and one night stay at a hotel. It is highly likely that BA will cancel the flight portion. I am aware that I should get a full refund.
However can I rebook for free it to early 2021 rather than get a refund? The flight and seats are available but are £1000 more expensive per person if I make a new booking and I don’t want to spend that!!!
Also that will be outside of the 12 months from booking date for the flights since I bought this on the sale end of 2019. Will this matter since this is not a flight only booking?
BA Holidays is on a different logic, you may be able to persuade them but I can't recall a case like this. I guess you could see if you have any options for late 2020 instead if they decline a 2021 rebook. Having said that, I wouldn't take 2021 fares as fixed yet, at some point BA needs to persuade us all to hop on to one of their flights, which is easiest done by reducing fares as a general point. It may also be that BAH can come up with an alternative holiday arrangement which would work on a FTV basis.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
Hi, hope all is well
Am I missing something

I have a flight cancelled tomorrow (25th) from MEX-LHR-CDG and return in July

I called to move to Xmas and they said I can not dpo that because the original ticket was paid for on 3rd December 2019, so I'd have to depart within 12 months of that date. This sounds odd. I don't want the voucher as flights at that time are 300-400 USD more expensive.

Any ideas if I am being fobbed off or if this is genuinely the case.

BW
That's correct, you can only move for free within 12 months of original ticket issue date.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by flashware
That's correct, you can only move for free within 12 months of original ticket issue date.
Oh, so I was misled the last time I called when they were ready to rebook me there and then for xmas.
Doh.
Nevermind. I'll have to see any alternative
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
Oh, so I was misled the last time I called when they were ready to rebook me there and then for xmas.
Doh.
Nevermind. I'll have to see any alternative
Try change it online. If that doesn't work, phone only and they'll (generally) stick to the rules.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:05 pm

I tried to do online but returns no dates available for anything in Dec or Jan.
This is rather frustrating. Might be time to just ask for a refund and book an alternative
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA Holidays is on a different logic, you may be able to persuade them but I can't recall a case like this. I guess you could see if you have any options for late 2020 instead if they decline a 2021 rebook. Having said that, I wouldn't take 2021 fares as fixed yet, at some point BA needs to persuade us all to hop on to one of their flights, which is easiest done by reducing fares as a general point. It may also be that BAH can come up with an alternative holiday arrangement which would work on a FTV basis.
Thank you C-W-S. Can’t find any info on this but I am guessing there must be other people in the same boat as me.
The holiday is to Seychelles, so flight sales are few and far in between from BA to this destination.
Lets see since we are not due to fly for a while longer and hopefully Seychelles will allow us in since UK still considered high risk country. Fingers crossed for all aspects to work out hopefully.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:35 am

According to the rules, if you are doing an involuntary change of date (BA have not cancelled the flight) , then NO, you will not get a refund.
When I called to change the non refundable fare (in line with the book with confidence policy) the agent recalculated the new fare at just over £200 less than previously paid and without being asked stated that they'd be processing a refund of the difference to the original form of payment.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
When I called to change the non refundable fare (in line with the book with confidence policy) the agent recalculated the new fare at just over £200 less than previously paid and without being asked stated that they'd be processing a refund of the difference to the original form of payment.
HI
Thanks for the update. That is good to know. When I spoke to an agent about moving our booking from June 2020, I was told that any fare difference higher will have to be paid by me but if the price is lower, no refund will be due. So took the FTV since it was an involuntary change since I wanted to move the flight before it got cancelled. So it appears that what I was told was wrong. Glad it worked out well for you.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
HI
Thanks for the update. That is good to know. When I spoke to an agent about moving our booking from June 2020, I was told that any fare difference higher will have to be paid by me but if the price is lower, no refund will be due. So took the FTV since it was an involuntary change since I wanted to move the flight before it got cancelled. So it appears that what I was told was wrong. Glad it worked out well for you.
It depends what you are doing. If processing as a cancelled flight under the called flight guidelines there isn't a fare difference either way to pay/refund. If doing it under BWC/FTV then you do pay/refund any fare difference.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:51 pm

I'll copy my post from the August schedule thread:
BA807 BLL-LHR on August 24, and BA806 LHR-BLL on August 26 just got cancelled, I was notified by e-mail. I will probably call tomorrow and ask for a full refund. I plan on completing the trip some time next year (or perhaps later this year, depending on the situation), and most probably on BA, but it's just easier to get the amount back and have it for future use. Or would that be "cruel" of me, as opposed to applying for an FTV? It's just around 140£ total, so not the world for me to have "in play".

Interestingly, if I go to the "Change Flights" tab, Sun-Air's direct flights BLL-LCY-BLL are still selectable on these exact dates (clearly at no charge), as is EZ BLL-DUS plus BA DUS-LHR (also at no charge). EZ's flights are usually A LOT more expensive than BA's, but I understand that they must offer me free alternatives due to EU261.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:09 pm

Hi,

I had a flight time change and downgrade as part of yesterday's changes to the schedule for August.

I spoke with an agent this morning (Approx 12 hours ago) and he confirmed that I was entitled to a full refund of both the cash component and the avios used for upgrade, as requested. He said that I should expect the avios to be returned within 12 hours and the refund will be processed thereafter.

As yet, I have not received an email confirming the cancellation, the booking is still present in the app and the avios have not been returned.
I understand things are taking a little longer at the moment but am curious as to whether I need to follow up on this to ensure that the cancellation has been processed/initiated?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikkelhk
Interestingly, if I go to the "Change Flights" tab, Sun-Air's direct flights BLL-LCY-BLL are still selectable on these exact dates (clearly at no charge), as is EZ BLL-DUS plus BA DUS-LHR (also at no charge). EZ's flights are usually A LOT more expensive than BA's, but I understand that they must offer me free alternatives due to EU261.
This is standard policy for cancellations, SUN is also apt to cancel flights 16 or so days before departure so I wouldn't take it completely at face value.

If there is any uncertainty then going for cash is best. As you may see upthread there is an option to rebook for a year after the date you originally made the booking, which works best if you think you have a particularly cheap fare. Normally, though, a buyers' market is one that favours lower fares, to make an obvious point. But there is nothing more flexible than cold hard cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.