Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a bit unusual, if you can make online changes they usually work through to ticket issue immediately or within a few hours. I presume you want to pay and/or select seats, which you can do by calling up. Usually trying to force ticketing (on manually amended tickets) needs you to either have hefty status or to be travelling within a few days. I guess if you think your flight isn't too busy and you don't want to call, the other option is simply to wait. Some people have suggested using Royal Jordanian's MMB but I'm mot convinced this is always reliable.
Thanks CWS. I called them today, the lady on the phone said it wasn’t ticketed and she fixed it.

I am glad I have done this, the flights is looking busy in CE.
It extends to 9 rows and only 9 seats left that are empty or blocked.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BAeuro
If I book a BA Holidays package to somewhere and the route gets cancelled, what would be my options?

Could I get the flights and hotel moved to another city within 300 miles for free?
Does anyone know about this or should I try and contact BA?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following... I booked a trip for my SIL and her family on 075 stock as they live in Spain, so I was making use of the direct MAD-LAX flight on the outbound and coupled that with a codeshare on BA on the SAN-LHR return as they stop off to see other family before returning to Spain. As they have no status, I booked seats for them on the BA flight. This is the only direct transaction I have with BA.

Given that SAN is not one of the approved US points of entry and that BA have already cancelled their flights for July, I’m not hopeful for the August schedule. On top of that, IB is showing zeros across the board for their MAD-LAX service though early October which is when the seasonal service ends for the year, so I don’t see either flight operating. Any issues with getting the seat reservation fees refunded if any combination of flight cancellation occurs?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Under EC261 BA can downgrade you to CW but then the Mennens formula kicks in to give you a partial refund. In reality, if you ring YouFirst I suspect BA won't have a problem giving you a refund. You should find the number for YouFirst in MMB.
I can confirm that ringing YouFirst works. I have recently been notified of a downgrade from F to J on an upcoming flight in July - I rang YouFirst and was offered a reroute, but I asked for a refund instead. The refund was quickly processed and the full amount was back on the Amex card within a few days.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did not see an answer in the thread main message. If my BA flight has been cancelled, how long after my original flight am I allowed to rebook the flights? Most of my cancelled plans are going to be moved by 1 year (weddings, festivals...) but BA does not sell the flights yet, and I don't want to get the voucher in case the prices are much higher when they released the flights.

For example if I had a cancelled flight on the 1st July 2020, and I want to move it to July 2021 (once the new dates are announced and BA sells the flights), is it possible to rebook around August/September? Or do I lose my right to rebook the flight and I lose my money after X days of the original dates?

Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You may want to look at some of the more recent posts above, but in summary the problem you have is that you can only use the Coronavirus Guideline Update 4 for one year after your tickets were issued, typically the day you booked. Thereafter you would be on a FTV, which may involve a fare difference.
slayers_88 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:51 pm

AA have canceled largely BA flights trips.19th July. The flights have already change multiple times (at least 10 changes prior to this one)

AA have not given an option to rebook- can I insist that they do? The revised outward flights are still flying- the return looks more tricky.

One of your flights was canceled and we're unable to rebook your trip. Don't worry, the value of your ticket is safe.

If you'd like to travel within the next 72 hours, please call 800-541-3692 for help. If you don't plan to travel within that time, there's no need to call right now.

You can either:

1. Wait until you're ready to rebook your new trip and call to use the value of your unused ticket and seat purchase.

2. Request a refund for your ticket.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
I could use a little help with this one. Been biding my time, keeping an eye on things, and have spotted something that has raised a tiny flag - so figured it was worth posting now.

The following were booked using BAEC Avios:

Booking 1 (single PNR)
Thu 30 Jul YYZ-DUB-LHR EI126/154 now unbookable on EI site

Booking 2 (separate PNR)
Tue 4 Aug LHR-DUB BA828 bookable on BA site, departure time has changed by 5 minutes

Booking 3 (separate PNR)
Tue 4 Aug DUB-YYZ EI127 now unbookable on EI site

The plan is to cancel (as the event that was the reason for our trip has been cancelled, and now with the 14 day quarantine period announced, the trip simply isnt feasible anyway) but I have been holding out until the flights get cancelled so we can get the canx fees waived.

Dealing with the EI redemption flights first:
While the first segment isn't until the end of July, I have been checking the EI flights to see if/when they get cancelled (by trying to make dummy bookings on their website for the flights in question). They now appear to be unbookable, but when I enter the respective PNRs on the EI and BA sites, the itineraries are still showing up.
Does anyone know if EI are not cancelling flights until closer to the day of departure, even though they say they have withdrawn service to YYZ? If so, how far out/close in are they making the cancellations?
Otherwise, is this just some kind of known loophole (possibly due to it being EI flights, but booked via BAEC avios, even though ticketed on 125 stock).

As for the BA segment:
It looks like the DUB flights are running, but I wonder if there is any potential for scoring a kindly agent that could cancel all three bookings and waive the charges (as the whole trip is now impossible due to travel restrictions)?
ISTR that with some carriers, a change in departure time can be enough to request a fee free change/canx... but I think this may have been for US carriers (heck, back in the BMI DC days even!) and regardless, I suspect this may be pushing it with BA.
I am pretty sure that in reality, there should be no chance of this, but curious as to whether anyone has tried anything like this and if it has worked...
I am thinking if there is some kind of issue with my EI flights being cancelled, but something not triggering across to the BA systems, and would require agent intervention on those sort it out, it might be worth giving it a shot while I have them on the phone! The worst they can do is say no...

Finally, I have been reading about people being offered vouchers. I would greatly prefer a refund (particularly with the canx fees waivered for the EI segments, which I think should be the case - will assume that it's highly unlikely for the BA segment). Presumably so long as I clearly request a refund, they have to process it? Just a case of being proactive and clear?

Thanks in advance for any help, data points, etc.
(and if the easiest thing to do is wait a bit longer, that is fine. But I figured the EI issue may be of relevance to others who may have departure dates closer in than mine)
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Does anyone know if EI are not cancelling flights until closer to the day of departure, even though they say they have withdrawn service to YYZ? If so, how far out/close in are they making the cancellations?
EI are indeed cancelling much later than BA, so it may still be cancelled by Air Lingus. A key issue is whether Canada will resume a more open border policy than now, I think we can safely assume Ireland will be fully open by then. If EI doesn't cancel then you are on the usual USD55 per person per booking redeposit fee, or rebooking without the change fee for at least Booking 1, maybe the other two. There would also be the FTV option potentially, depending on when you booked.

For the BA service LHR-DUB, a 5 minute change doesn't help. I can't see anyone being generous about that, unless the policies change as we get nearer to departure. Worst case there would again be the USD55 redeposit fee.

Add the above two points together, then it seems a repeat of the usual advice, leave it to the last moment, which in the case of Avios is 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on each separate booking - though perhaps 2 days before travel is more sensible.
sofasurfer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I had a booking to SEZ issued in October 19 with flight dates in May 2020.

After the flights were cancelled I was presented with rebooking options online - including switching to QR, all the way until EOS. (not just October 2020 as expected)
I waited as I wanted to book for the same week next year but now I cannot access the rebooking page online, since the original flight dates have passed.

Has anybody had success in either:

1. Accessing the rebooking page online, after the dates of the original itinerary have passed?
2. Rebooking over the phone for dates beyond initial issue date +1 year?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn

After the flights were cancelled I was presented with rebooking options online - including switching to QR, all the way until EOS. (not just October 2020 as expected)
I waited as I wanted to book for the same week next year but now I cannot access the rebooking page online, since the original flight dates have passed.

1. Accessing the rebooking page online, after the dates of the original itinerary have passed?
No to the first one (have the same query myself, I have 3 days before I hit that point).

Yes to the second, there's been reports of agents providing some flexibility but I wouldn't rely on it. I'd say it's the exception rather than the norm and systems may well have since been locked down.

I can view dates out to the end of the schedule for mine, but trying to actually book any of them fails so suspect I'm just going to end up refunding mine as it was booked August 2019 and I can't see me being able to rebook and use this by mid August this year.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jermyn

although this may not help you now, i think your example highlights a very important point which i have mentioned a few times.

after flights in a booking are cancelled, if you can move your flights on MMB via the disruption screen to a date you want beyond ticket validity, you should absolutely do that. as noted phone agents will generally stick to the guidelines (although sometimes you can get lucky) but sometimes will just let you do it. if it doesn't re-ticket properly after the online change you can then call just to get that bit done, much harder for them to say no to the new dates if MMB has accepted the changes.
IMH likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oh dear. We have a return flight from Gatwick to Gran Canaria in September (Club Europe with Avios & Companion Voucher) now cancelled.
1) As the other Canary Islands are within 300 miles, does that mean we can rebook on the same dates to Tenerife (say) with no need for Avios availability?
2) Alternatively, can we request to be transferred to an Iberia flight to Gran Canaria via Madrid on the same dates, under EU261? Is this easy to do in practice by phoning up?
Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have just called the number for golds +44 800 123 111. After the initial message about it being a difficult time, and then a welcome to the gold line I was given three options, press 1 to change booking, press 2 for making a booking, and 3 for anything else. After not pressing anything you then get a further four choices relating to avios booking, flight status etc. I didn't choose any option at any time. After the second set of options I was connected to an agent within 10 seconds.

EDIT: now also tried the international gold number +44 191 490 7901. Initial recorded message saying try and do things online. Then invites you to call the main number 0800 727 800 or for international +44 (0)203 2500145. I tried the international number and got an initial recorded message.

After that the options are 1 to chase a ticket refund, 2 for anything else, I pressed 2.
Next options are 1 for avios bookings, 2 for all other, - pressed 2.
Lastly press 1 for bookings involving hotels and car hire, 2 for all others - I didn't press anything here, about 10 seconds later connected to an agent.
Just going to pop this on here as might be useful for those looking.

As i'm not a Gold I didn't contact the Gold Line, BUT I did the same thing on the plebs line and got through really quickly.

I'd contacted the phone number on my cancellation e-mail - 020 3250 0145 - gone through the options, and when you press on the Refund option it says "we're too busy" and hangs up on you. Did this 3 times. Then copied Karfa's advice and didn't press a thing. A second option comes though. Pressed nothing. Then go onto hold. Then quickly an agent comes on the line, and processed the Avios & Cash Refund straight away. Took 11 minutes from dialling to processing the cancellation for 2 flights. Poor bloke sounded like he'd taken an absolute battering for months so I think being nice also helped.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I thought the below was quite clear and concise and may help some in terms of their rights. It was reported on the BBC in response to some listeners questions.

What are my rights?

• If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund to the original form of payment within seven days, although many airlines will be struggling to meet that deadline. You can accept, or refuse, vouchers or a rebooking but a voucher will probably be invalid if the airline later goes bust
  • If you decide against going on a future flight, which is not yet cancelled, then there is no right to a refund. Different airlines have different rules over what you can do but many are waiving any charges for changing to a later flight or having a voucher instead. Your travel insurance may, or may not, cover you
  • If you are stuck in the EU and a UK or EU carrier is not rerouting or helping you, you should be able to come home on any airline you can and bill the original airline for the new ticket. The airline is legally obliged to get you home and they should be rerouting you themselves. If they are failing to do that, they are responsible for the cost of getting you home. But you should not cancel and accept a refund as this ends the airline's duty of care towards you and you won't be able to claim anything back. It is best to pay by credit card, for the back-up option to claim from your card provider
  • If you have a package holiday, then a refund should be provided for the whole holiday within 14 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.