Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: avios, baec, iberia
Happy with that as long as there is the option to pay the difference and we are not limited to just off peak days

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by louisjake1
also from tomorrow they are releasing next summers flight dates.
BA ?
Old May 16, 2020, 3:58 am

sorry should have said virgin but it now looks like its package holidays only as the flight only dates stop in april.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:10 am

Not contactable

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As I understand it, your actual complaint is that you applied for a FTV and now want a refund, plus you possibly feel you were misled by the process. The relevant form that you used can be seen in this post here, post number 2212 upthread, and it says very clearly "Please fill out this form to receive your voucher or contact us to discuss your refund options", with the "contact us" section containg a hyperlink giving the phone numbers for your part of the world. You should always be dealt with sympathetically, however I think the screen is fairly clear.
You miss one essential ingredient: BA were Not contactable. Thus the only available option was applying for the voucher, which I did After initially receiving no response on my request for refund. I should add that the application for voucher was made After the prescribed period and in any case was ultimately rejected.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 16, 2020 at 5:13 am Reason: Remove passive-aggressive remark which is not advancing the discussion
Old May 16, 2020, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Safifi
You miss one essential ingredient: BA were Not contactable. Thus the only available option was applying for the voucher, which I did After initially receiving no response on my request for refund. I should add that the application for voucher was made After the prescribed period and in any case was ultimately rejected. Clear to you now??
There is plenty of information on ba,com and on here about your options should your flight be cancelled (refund, or reroute, or rebook) https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...clickpage=HOME

I think if you want some help then there are plenty on here who would give you some advice if you provide some details. If you just want to rant please go somewhere else.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:35 am

Speaking to BA

Originally Posted by KARFA
There is plenty of information on ba,com and on here about your options should your flight be cancelled (refund, or reroute, or rebook) https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...clickpage=HOME

I think if you want some help then there are plenty on here who would give you some advice if you provide some details. If you just want to rant please go somewhere else.
I keep saying that I want Clarity. The link you provided does not clearly say what should happen if just one segment of an ovrrall booking is cancelled.

Would penalties apply for rebooking.
Would there be a fare difference to pay despite the action of cancelation being from BA not me.
Was it not incumbent on BA to Ckarify the situation for me when they took peremptory action to cancel on flight?? Despite some email communications exchanged under their complaint procedure, they have skirted around this question and not addressed it at all!!
What is so mysterious regarding this question??

Also why is it so difficult or virtually impossible to speak to someone at BA bring on the numbers provided for my region??

You will Accept that ranting (as you term it) is perfectly normal and legitimate given such shoddy treatment.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:39 am

I keep saying that I want Clarity. The link you provided does not clearly say what should happen if just one segment of an ovrrall booking is cancelled.

Would penalties apply for rebooking.
Would there be a fare difference to pay despite the action of cancelation being from BA not me.
Was it not incumbent on BA to Ckarify the situation for me when they took peremptory action to cancel on flight?? Despite some email communications exchanged under their complaint procedure, they have skirted around this question and not addressed it at all!!
What is so mysterious regarding this question??

Also why is it so difficult or virtually impossible to speak to someone at BA bring on the numbers provided for my region??

You will Accept that ranting (as you term it) is perfectly normal and legitimate given such shoddy treatment.
As has been mentioned several times in the thread, if 1 segment is cancelled on a booking you're entitled to a full refund.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:43 am

And as I have Repeatedly Pointed out, the refund was denied, the applic for a voucher was rejected, and BA have not been contactable to address this issue.
So what can you suggest in Support of the PASSENGER not the airline?
Old May 16, 2020, 4:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
And as I have Repeatedly Pointed out, the refund was denied, the applic for a voucher was rejected, and BA have not been contactable to address this issue.
This has been asked multiple times as folks want to help you, so I will try once again, can you give some details of what your booking was for, dates, and what was cancelled?

Can you set out what you actually filled in on ba.com - the future travel voucher page (example shown in post 2212)? Have you had an email saying you can't have one?
Brighterside likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; May 16, 2020 at 5:01 am
Old May 16, 2020, 5:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you’ve had a single sector cancelled and you don’t want to either travel at a later date or accept a re-route then you are entitled to a refund. That’s enshrined in law under EC261. BA have, it appears, generally been quite good at providing refunds for straightforward itineraries with only more convoluted ones that would normally be dealt with by the Indian call centre (which was closed for a long while, maybe even still is) taking longer than they should. By contrast, I have a very, very straightforward refund from SAS on which I’m still waiting after four weeks and will probably ending up putting in dispute with the credit card.

The reason why people are asking you for more details is that it would help with understanding where your refund request might have been routed to.

For those that are complex or taking longer than expected there is the option of dropping a PM to BA Refund Helper on here. Now this is a wholly independent website, BA don’t have to put any sort of representation on here, but they have done so in this case to try and support the membership. You’ll see plenty of positive reports in this thread on the help that’s been given to those who have sought it, so it may be a reasonable route forward for you.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
If you are having difficulty contacting them on the numbers for your region, try using the numbers for a different region and calling using a VOIP service such as Skype. Calling the general UK number for cancellations and refunds etc (+44 800 727 800) should be free from Skype for example.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
This has been asked multiple times as folks want to help you, so I will try once again, can you give some details of what your booking was for, dates, and what was cancelled?

Can you set out what you actually filled in on ba.com - the future travel voucher page (example shown in post 2212)? Have you had an email saying you can't have one?
Thank you.
Booking was BOS-LHR-DXB 18/5/20. The LHR-DXB flight on 19/5 was cancelled. No info at all 9n the status of the prior flight nor the impact of the Angeles leg on the iverall booking!
Again, was it not Incumbent in BA to let the passenger Know the overall status of the booking given that its not possible to fly to London alone.

Yes I received an email stating that the application for the voucher is not successful because according to BA part of the ricket has been used. Which part they are referring to is not made clear; is it the outward leg DXB-BOS, or are they sayIng so under the assumption that the BOS-LHR leg will be flow (it can't given that the passenger's destination is Dubai and no layover at all in London.
You will recall that this failed applic fir the voycher was then used by a certain Amit at BA to reject my application fir a refund; which umyou will agree is highly unfair and improper.
Lastly, why is it impossible to speak to someone at BA?
Old May 16, 2020, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you.
Booking was BOS-LHR-DXB 18/5/20. The LHR-DXB flight on 19/5 was cancelled. No info at all 9n the status of the prior flight nor the impact of the Angeles leg on the iverall booking!
Again, was it not Incumbent in BA to let the passenger Know the overall status of the booking given that its not possible to fly to London alone.
Where you absolutely have a point is that it has been recently quite difficult to get hold of BA, however after about 19:00 hrs UK time then it should be easier. Luckily you have access to this forum, and so long as you give us the details we can then advise you what your options are in advance of contacting BA so you can be better prepared. Even now you have chosen to give only a few details, which is your prerogative. From what I can now make out is that
- You have a ticket from BOS-LHR-DXB (that is clear)
- You appear to have flown BOS-LHR (but you haven't said so)
- Your LHR-DXB leg was cancelled (that's clear)
- At some point (unclear) you applied for a FTV
- You then asked for a refund when the LHR-DXB was cancelled (clear)
- BA have denied you the FTV (clear, and correct if you flew BOS-LHR)
- BA have also denied you the refund option (clear-ish, but potentially incorrect).
Now I'm going to make some other assumptions
- This was the return legs on a return ticket
- You therefore got to BOS and either returned as far as London or perhaps you took another route
- This is a revenue ticket bought from BA, not a travel agent, and not an Avios redemptions for example.
- There are no further sectors on this ticket (the Los Angeles reference is not clear)
- You bought the ticket in UAE..

Now what you are entitled to will depend masively on the unclear bits. But depending on what you wish to tell us, we can perhaps indicate what - if anything you are entitled to. But if my assumptions are correct you may be entitled to what is known as in Involuntary Refund on the sectors you didn't fly.
KARFA, Rachel1 and Hawk777 like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:21 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As the BOS-LHR-DXB is scheduled for two days from now, my guess is that what has actually been flown is DXB-LHR-BOS. If it hasn’t then nothing has been flown and BA’s information is incorrect.

If the outbound has been completed then what’s therefore still massively unclear is why no re-routing to get back to the UAE was requested, but a voucher/refund instead.

@Safifi, did you return by another route? If so then, as has been said, you are most likely due a refund of the unused sectors. Unquestionably this will have to be calculated by the Indian team which is why it’s taking longer.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:44 am

An

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Where you absolutely have a point is that it has been recently quite difficult to get hold of BA, however after about 19:00 hrs UK time then it should be easier. Luckily you have access to this forum, and so long as you give us the details we can then advise you what your options are in advance of contacting BA so you can be better prepared. Even now you have chosen to give only a few details, which is your prerogative. From what I can now make out is that
- You have a ticket from BOS-LHR-DXB (that is clear)
- You appear to have flown BOS-LHR (but you haven't said so)
- Your LHR-DXB leg was cancelled (that's clear)
- At some point (unclear) you applied for a FTV
- You then asked for a refund when the LHR-DXB was cancelled (clear)
- BA have denied you the FTV (clear, and correct if you flew BOS-LHR)
- BA have also denied you the refund option (clear-ish, but potentially incorrect).
Now I'm going to make some other assumptions
- This was the return legs on a return ticket
- You therefore got to BOS and either returned as far as London or perhaps you took another route
- This is a revenue ticket bought from BA, not a travel agent, and not an Avios redemptions for example.
- There are no further sectors on this ticket (the Los Angeles reference is not clear)
- You bought the ticket in UAE..

Now what you are entitled to will depend masively on the unclear bits. But depending on what you wish to tell us, we can perhaps indicate what - if anything you are entitled to. But if my assumptions are correct you may be entitled to what is known as in Involuntary Refund on the sectors you didn't fly
No your assumptions are incorrect in some parts. I am not deliberately hiding anything; I have provided all pertinent information as I see it.

Importantly have NOT flown the BOS-LHR leg. As I stated in the prior email this is scheduled for 18 May so not in the past. And it is Meaningless for flying without the ability to Continue on to Dubai. London is not the final destination of travel.

Yes this is the return leg.

No the application for the voucher occurred AFTER the application for refund. Seeing no response on the former and being unable to reach BA, I thought it safe to apply for the voucher Despite it being 2 days After the availability period.pi real8ze now that this was a mistake, but you will understand my acting under the confusion and (Importantly) tge Information Vacuum.

The contention that BA was legitimate in denying the voucher because a portion was flown is INCORRECT if referring to the BOS-LHR flight which is still scheduled, not taken. If it was denied on the basis of the outward leg having been flown, is this rejection correct.

Is the person who rejected my application for a refund correct in using the (rejected) voucher application as the pretext to do so? Again I reiterate that I applied for the refund First, and the voucher was rejected anyway.

Last edited by Prospero; May 16, 2020 at 7:36 am Reason: Repair quotation frame

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.